2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gibson Les Paul 70's Tribute, New Addition!
bleez
Apr 19 2014, 04:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well I finally decided that Ive earned a new les paul smile.gif Ive been practicing hard these last couple of years and made some good progress so its only fair!
The store we were at was really cool, a full wall of les pauls, Ive never actually seen so many in one place. I wish I had a couple of grand to spend coz I would have took their lemon burst standard rolleyes.gif

Anyways, I got the 70's tribute. mahogany body, maple cap, mahogany neck with the 70s volute, witch hat knobs, grover tuners and 2 dirty fingers humbuckers.
Its the bomb! the pickups are hot as hell and just pure growl away like a beast. The rosewood fretboard is really cool as well because on my old LP the rosewood is really dark but this one is really bright in comparison, fits in with the sunburst really well.

The action was a tad high but the guy lowered it and set it up there and then which was awesome. It plays really well.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The first riff I played on it was 'fire and water' by Free, I thought it was the most suitable song to play on a 70s tribute guitar smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 19 2014, 08:04 PM
GMC:er
Congrats Bleez!! That's a nice hunk of wood right there!!!
biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 19 2014, 09:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Nice choice biggrin.gif

Gibson added the volute because it fixed a common problem with the Gibson headstock: it's tendency to snap right off. They then got rid of it because traditionalists felt that it veered too far from original platform.

Every other guitar manufacturer that produces a Gibson spin-off has the volute, except Gibson lol

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 19 2014, 11:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 19 2014, 08:04 PM) *
Congrats Bleez!! That's a nice hunk of wood right there!!!
biggrin.gif

thanks mate. Im well chuffed smile.gif

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Apr 19 2014, 09:20 PM) *
Every other guitar manufacturer that produces a Gibson spin-off has the volute, except Gibson lol

LOL! I didnt know that. Its such a subtle feature as well, I actually think its really cool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 20 2014, 01:24 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Nice choice, dude… I really dig the vintage look of this LP. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 20 2014, 01:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
congrtas, nice vintage look like degroot said. how those dirty fingers? i played them once on a epi prophecy and they sounded great.

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 20 2014, 11:31 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 20 2014, 01:24 AM) *
Nice choice, dude… I really dig the vintage look of this LP. cool.gif

yeah, its even nicer in person. I think they've done a great job on these tributes.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 20 2014, 01:39 AM) *
congrtas, nice vintage look like degroot said. how those dirty fingers? i played them once on a epi prophecy and they sounded great.

The pickups have a real bite to them smile.gif they dont want to clean up much at all. They certainly live up to their name smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 20 2014, 08:31 PM
GMC:er
Beautiful guitar you got there. How heavy is that thing? I really dig that 70s look and wish I could afford one too.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 20 2014, 08:32 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 20 2014, 10:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 20 2014, 08:31 PM) *
Beautiful guitar you got there. How heavy is that thing? I really dig that 70s look and wish I could afford one too.

it feels much the same to my LP standard. I was quite surprised when I picked it up actually. I think it's the traditional weight relief they use on the tribute models, nine holes drilled into the body.
for some reason I half expected it to be a lot lighter but happily its a decent weight for a manly guitar smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2014, 08:30 AM
Instructor
Very nice!

It looks beautiful and I bet it plays beautifully as well smile.gif

When will we hear the first recording?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 21 2014, 01:37 PM
Instructor
Well well biggrin.gif New guitar day is always a good day biggrin.gif Let it serve You well. Looks great - so raw and simple...and that's the great thing about her smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 21 2014, 05:13 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 21 2014, 08:30 AM) *
Very nice!

It looks beautiful and I bet it plays beautifully as well smile.gif

When will we hear the first recording?

I need to adjust the gear Im using a little because Im using the same amp sims that I use with my old les paul but these new pickups are a lot hotter...... Im sure I'll figure it out at some point.
I made a quick recording today, Ive not even changed the strings on it yet, Im sure they are 9s ( I prefer 10s ) Here's an attempt at the Paranoid solo using both pickups and one of the lessons Im working on ( not full speed ) using the bridge pickup.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 21 2014, 01:37 PM) *
Well well biggrin.gif New guitar day is always a good day biggrin.gif Let it serve You well. Looks great - so raw and simple...and that's the great thing about her smile.gif

Thanks Darius smile.gif for roughly the same money I was tempted by a couple of the PRS SE's, I was looking at the Bernie Marsden one and also they had a Spalted Maple top one which was really quite stunning to look at...... maybe next time cool.gif
I just really love the Gibson LP and the prospect of owning 2 was too much to resist! There were a few different models I could have got but I really liked the stripped down simplicity of this one. I knew I would get it even as I was trying different guitars, it was whispering in my ear the whole time LOL!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blister
Apr 22 2014, 04:53 AM
Congrats & I love the new addition! Well deserved & nice playing! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 22 2014, 01:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Blister @ Apr 22 2014, 04:53 AM) *
Congrats & I love the new addition! Well deserved & nice playing! smile.gif

thanks matey smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2014, 03:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 21 2014, 04:13 PM) *
I need to adjust the gear Im using a little because Im using the same amp sims that I use with my old les paul but these new pickups are a lot hotter...... Im sure I'll figure it out at some point.
I made a quick recording today, Ive not even changed the strings on it yet, Im sure they are 9s ( I prefer 10s ) Here's an attempt at the Paranoid solo using both pickups and one of the lessons Im working on ( not full speed ) using the bridge pickup.

Thanks Darius smile.gif for roughly the same money I was tempted by a couple of the PRS SE's, I was looking at the Bernie Marsden one and also they had a Spalted Maple top one which was really quite stunning to look at...... maybe next time cool.gif
I just really love the Gibson LP and the prospect of owning 2 was too much to resist! There were a few different models I could have got but I really liked the stripped down simplicity of this one. I knew I would get it even as I was trying different guitars, it was whispering in my ear the whole time LOL!

Wow, it sounds as great as it looks!

Great addition to the collection mate smile.gif And you know what? I can hear a slight personal touch in the tone and that can only be a good thing!

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 22 2014, 04:19 PM
Very nice bleez!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 23 2014, 08:24 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 22 2014, 03:48 PM) *
Wow, it sounds as great as it looks!

Great addition to the collection mate smile.gif And you know what? I can hear a slight personal touch in the tone and that can only be a good thing!

thanks matey smile.gif

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 22 2014, 04:19 PM) *
Very nice bleez!

I had a play with the gold top LPJ, the same type as that wine one you have, it was really nice playing guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 24 2014, 07:07 AM
Instructor
The only Les Paul I liked, belongs to a good friend - it's a 93' made and it sounds beastly - it's actually the only Les Paul that has managed to sway me into forgetting why I can't get along with Les Pauls.

+Quote Post
Huargo
Apr 25 2014, 10:43 PM
Tone Seeker
Congrats!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
Apr 26 2014, 05:03 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Sounds great and looks great Bleez. Very nice playing brother cool.gif

Congrats on your new toy!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:17 PM