2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Price For Floyd Rose Setup
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 17 2008, 01:23 AM
GMC:er
My friend had his Floyd Rose guitar setup by a shop and my friend provided the strings and the shop outrageously claimed it would be £60 for thge work. How much have people paid to get a Floyd Rose guitar set up?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 17 2008, 01:28 AM
You can get cutting templates off of floydrose.com but I'm way too much of a chicken to hack into my guitar and install it myself. laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by swingline: Jan 17 2008, 01:29 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 17 2008, 01:30 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
What! £60! I agree thats outrageous ohmy.gif

I`ve always set mine up myself, so fortunatly its never cost me a penny, a friend of mine paid £40 which included strings, I thought that was bad enough.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 17 2008, 01:35 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Jan 16 2008, 04:30 PM) *
What! £60! I agree thats outrageous ohmy.gif

I`ve always set mine up myself, so fortunatly its never cost me a penny, a friend of mine paid £40 which included strings, I thought that was bad enough.

You cut into the guitar yourself. ohmy.gif Was it easy, difficult, scary?

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 17 2008, 01:36 AM
QUOTE (swingline @ Jan 17 2008, 12:35 AM) *

What?

No I mean just a string change and intonation check.

I don't know what you mean

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 17 2008, 01:38 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 16 2008, 04:36 PM) *
What?

No I mean just a string change and intonation check.

I don't know what you mean

Oh I'm sorry I thought you meant to install a Floyd Rose into a guitar that initially had a solid bridge. So to cut out the wood and install it. Sorry about the confusion, I read too hastily.

This post has been edited by swingline: Jan 17 2008, 01:39 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 17 2008, 01:39 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (swingline @ Jan 17 2008, 12:35 AM) *

yer I think you misunderstood the first post, it was the price to "set up" a FR not "install", theres no way I`d install one.

edit: soz we must have been posting at the same time smile.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Jan 17 2008, 01:39 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
xucphra
Jan 17 2008, 02:04 AM
I cut my guitar up. Gave it surgery.
It was worth it though. Luckily I did it well enough and it came out almost perfect. You need the tools though

Saved me about 300$

This post has been edited by xucphra: Jan 17 2008, 02:04 AM

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 17 2008, 03:02 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Depends. Floyds arn't that big a deal but if the shop don't know you, they are going to ask premium bench cost. In the US it is around 60.00 an hour. ( in my market anyway ) These guys look at themselves like auto mechanics! huh.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 17 2008, 03:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
My local guitar store sets up a floyd rose for less than 10$, including new strings. When you bought your guitar in this store they might even do it for free

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 17 2008, 07:22 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 16 2008, 06:07 PM) *
My local guitar store sets up a floyd rose for less than 10$, including new strings. When you bought your guitar in this store they might even do it for free

Thats true at guitar center if your a common customer they treat you well. They gave me a $55 (US) stand for only $25. I'm sure I could get a setup for under $15.

This post has been edited by swingline: Jan 17 2008, 07:23 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 17 2008, 08:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Just had mine done cost £30

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 17 2008, 12:51 PM
We've been in there a lot and he knows my friend by name. 60 pound is a joke. He has refused to pay it and said he's paying 50 pound max which is still a disgrace. I told him to go down there and offer 45 and if they don't like it grab the guitar and stick the money down and walk out.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 17 2008, 01:22 PM
I've paid to get 2 FRs set up.

1, at Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta which is renowned for it's luthiers (for good reason). They changed the strings, action, adjusted the truss rod, set intonation and polished frets and reconditioned the fret board for $75 + cost of strings.

1, at Sam Ash. He changed the strings, attempted to set it up (did do intonation but set it up WAY too low so it would fret out if you bent more than 1/2 step), didn't recondition the fretboard, so far as I could tell, put in 2 pickups and I paid 65$ for the "set up" + the cost of strings. Yeah, he pretty much didn't charge me an install cost for the pickups.

40# sounds about right, if that includes strings and a good cleaning of the fret board.

This post has been edited by Goliath: Jan 17 2008, 01:24 PM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Jan 17 2008, 01:28 PM
My local shop did it for £10 (my bridge was in a terrible state as well!) it popped out completely.

$60 is a total joke.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 17 2008, 01:35 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Jan 17 2008, 12:22 PM) *
I've paid to get 2 FRs set up.

1, at Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta which is renowned for it's luthiers (for good reason). They changed the strings, action, adjusted the truss rod, set intonation and polished frets and reconditioned the fret board for $75 + cost of strings.

1, at Sam Ash. He changed the strings, attempted to set it up (did do intonation but set it up WAY too low so it would fret out if you bent more than 1/2 step), didn't recondition the fretboard, so far as I could tell, put in 2 pickups and I paid 65$ for the "set up" + the cost of strings. Yeah, he pretty much didn't charge me an install cost for the pickups.

40# sounds about right, if that includes strings and a good cleaning of the fret board.

If it was done for the same price in America with the current exchange rate it would have cost about 115 dollars to set up a floyd rose guitar. sad.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 17 2008, 01:53 PM
dollars to pounds is $1.96 USD = 1# GBP as of Jan 16 (google searched)

so for 75$ that shakes out to just over 38#, assuming the strings cost around 2#, ~40#

(and how do you guys make that currency symbol y'all use, I assume you use the same KBs as us, but I could be wrong since my list of world travels includes destinations you used to be able to get to with a birth certificate and an drivers license. For instance, the $ sign is shift 4, I'm curious if there is a keyboard shortcut or something)

Edit: Oh, you're talking about the 60# one, yeah that's a huge rip off. I thought you meant the ex rate was 3 to 1 for the 40#.

This post has been edited by Goliath: Jan 17 2008, 01:56 PM

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 17 2008, 01:54 PM
Instructor
I agree its a ripoff. Here the Floyd Rose setup costs only 20e! Yes the standard is low, but for that money (i guess its about 100e right?) you can get a whole quality fretboard change around here. wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 17 2008, 01:59 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Jan 17 2008, 12:53 PM) *
dollars to pounds is $1.96 USD = 1# GBP as of Jan 16 (google searched)

so for 75$ that shakes out to just over 38#, assuming the strings cost around 2#, ~40#

(and how do you guys make that currency symbol y'all use, I assume you use the same KBs as us, but I could be wrong since my list of world travels includes destinations you used to be able to get to with a birth certificate and an drivers license. For instance, the $ sign is shift 4, I'm curious if there is a keyboard shortcut or something)

Edit: Oh, you're talking about the 60# one, yeah that's a huge rip off. I thought you meant the ex rate was 3 to 1 for the 40#.

Pound sign is shift 3 (£)

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 17 2008, 02:13 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 17 2008, 07:59 AM) *
Pound sign is shift 3 (£)

In the UK it is, but US keyboards are different - no pound sign. You get a '#' above the 3 and an '@' above the 2 blink.gif

If you really want a '£' sign and you have a US keyboard you can use the Windows Character Map under "Start/Accessories/System Tools" - sorry have no idea how to do this on a Mac.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:20 PM