Relative Major, Pentatonic Minor
Hajduk
Jun 25 2013, 08:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
Have a Theory question here biggrin.gif If Im playing A pentatonic minor then play F# pentatonic minor which I believe is the relative Major to A does that turn that into a major Pentatonic?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 25 2013, 10:08 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jun 25 2013, 08:06 AM) *
Have a Theory question here biggrin.gif If Im playing A pentatonic minor then play F# pentatonic minor which I believe is the relative Major to A does that turn that into a major Pentatonic?

That's basically it man. If you play F# minor pentatonic, F#-A-B-C#-E, those are the same notes as the A major pentatonic scale, A B C# E F#.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2013, 03:16 PM
Instructor
Yeah, both scales have the same notes, but be sure to visualize the root of the scale that you are playing.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jun 25 2013, 04:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nice, starting to understand theory a bit more smile.gif so as long as you emphasise certain notes like if I keep returning to the A note to emphasise the key of A that keeps it sounding in the right key? If the key is in A.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jun 25 2013, 06:23 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jun 25 2013, 04:16 PM) *
Nice, starting to understand theory a bit more smile.gif so as long as you emphasise certain notes like if I keep returning to the A note to emphasise the key of A that keeps it sounding in the right key? If the key is in A.

That's basically it, but it's more the chord you are playing over. If you use those notes over F#m then it'll sound like F#m. but if you keep the same notes and the chord changes to A, it'll sound like A.

Try putting on a backing track that changes from F#m to A every 4 bars, and solo with the F# minor pent scale to hear how the notes stay the same but the sound changes when the chords change underneath your solo.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:39 PM