What Does This Mean?, Scale Understanding
Travelin' Man
Aug 17 2007, 01:48 AM
GMC:er
I was trying to familiarize myself with different scales, and I started noticing this menu. I cannot figure out what it means or how it relates to the scales. This example is during my browsing of the Ionian Scale.

Scale - Ionian

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Sergeant_Ant
Aug 17 2007, 02:02 AM
what notes are used in that perticular key i think, like C is 1, D is 2, etc. i use a chart (cuz im a beginner) but the numbers should correspond to a note depending on what key your in

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"Whenever society gets too stifling and the rules get too complex, there's some sort of musical explosion" - Slash / Guns 'n Roses

"Play the music, not the instrument." - Author Unknown

Equpiment
Guitars: Ibanez RG350EX
Fender Stratocaster S-S-S
Effects: None
Amps: Fender SP-10

www.myspace.com/sergeantant

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 17 2007, 02:13 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Travelin' Man @ Aug 16 2007, 08:48 PM) *
I was trying to familiarize myself with different scales, and I started noticing this menu. I cannot figure out what it means or how it relates to the scales. This example is during my browsing of the Ionian Scale.
Scale - Ionian

Thats actually the formula for the scale figured in intervals if I am reading it right.

The Ionian (or Major) is the basis for this as it is what all of the intervals are based on (or you cuold flip it around and say that a Major scale happens to be a scale in which all the intervals are unmodified.

By comparison, you could think of a Minor scale as 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7 (where the "b" means lower the note by a semitone).

To fully figure this out you need to take a look at my lesson on intervals here - then feel free to come back with any questions smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Travelin' Man
Aug 17 2007, 02:13 AM
I got it now..thnx

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:52 PM