I Need A Proper Marshall Cab, for my AVT50X (@ 4 Ohm)
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 6 2007, 04:25 PM
Instructor
Hi all, i need a suggestions for my new extension speaker cabinet.

I have a Marshall AVT50X combo, and i need more defined sound and a low end punch. Now I have allready wrote about Ohms and Wattage, but i need someones expertise to explain it to me so that I can understand since I`m not a electronic guy. I need at least 2x12" celestion Marshall cab or maybe even a 4x12". Now there is a speaker out on the back of the combo delivering 50W@4Ohms. WHat cab should I use? WIll just 2x12 give me enough punch and low end? Has anyone tried this combination or own it so he can give his advice on the subject? THanks all smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 6 2007, 05:20 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I can just share the little I know on the subject. Perhaps it's of some help at least.

2x12 is often sufficient. A 4x12 will move more air but if you're in a band with one 4x12 and one 1x12 it's not going to be fair on the 1x12. The least to have is a 1x12, that's a minimum. So I'm ruling out 10", had a full stack of those long ago, fast in response but totaly lacks low end. A 2x12 will be enough for most occacions where a 4x12 can come off as overkill, like pub gigs. 4x12's are cool but not a must, will spread the sound satisfactory where as a 1x12 would send it out more straight ahead.
Hmmm... I wonder if there's a good way to spread the sound from a 1x12... unsure.gif

I don't know what kind of ohmage you should use with the AX50, it says on the "extension cabinet"plug, right? Or is this the sort you move the "internal" cord to the extension cabinet? Then I'd say you should go with the same Ohmage as the speaker, 4 Ohm in this case. But someone will have to confirm that to be true or not. unsure.gif

About the speakers in a Marshall cab there's one that's quite pleasant for modern metal tones and also Jazz I think. It's the G12T-75, comes with a character of scooped mids. Great Marshall tone, very bassy!

I favour the vintage 30 speakers myself, in my experience they give more or a punchy bass than the G12T-75 but less bassy so to speak. But Vintage 30's have the entire registry of frequencies and I feel they respond faster and clearer. Maybe it's an illusion just getting more of the mids through... I'm a big fan of mids laugh.gif

Then there's the "Vox" Alnico Blue speaker, a bit too clear and kind for my taste. I like the Brit speakers a bit more gritty. But mind it's a classic and it's praised to heaven by people who know a lot more than me. So judging by me not being too fond of it yet probably means I have a lot to learn and a long path to wander biggrin.gif I just prefer more grit and dirt. Fantastic clean tone, I will give it that.

For a vintage sound I'd go with Greenbacks. They will break up early ... a maxed out vintage Marshall with these puppies takes you back to the 70's... not that I tried that myself but I wish haha

I have a Marshall 4x12 cabinet with the G12T-75 so I have a lot of experience of the sound that gives. Same with the Vintage 30's, got a 4x12. I was debating with myself wether to get v30's or Greenbacks but went for the vintage 30's since I think they are more allround. Wish I had a greenbacks cabinet aswell though.
The Alnico Blue I've only heard in Vox combos, an prior bassist had one of those that he used to noodle around with on guitar a few times between songs cool.gif

Then there's ENGL who I belive run a different kind of speakers. Don't know them too much though.

Oh, and something to keep in mind. It's said - I never experienced it myself - that mixing equaly many G12H30's with Vintage 30's will make magic as they bring out the best of eachother. I was on the look for a cab like that but it seems they don't make em that way. It would have to be a custom made cab.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 6 2007, 11:32 PM
Instructor
Thanks for response man smile.gif So you think it would be better to get 2x12? DO I get the same definition in sound with 2x12 as with 4x12. What is the difference between those two?

From my amp there is a speaker out rated 50W@4Ohm. If I connect 2 Celestion 12" speakers how are they connected? Serial? Parallel? Anyone?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:12 PM