Lesson Request
opeth.db
Sep 19 2008, 02:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I apologize if there is already one but how bout a video lesson series on music theory? I just haven't seen it yet.

Maybe a teaching enviroment where the instructor has a white board and teaches you as your math teacher would have.
I for one have to come clean. I have a major reading comprehension problem. ITs frustrating at times because I have to re-read things many times before it sinks in and after that its not guranteed. I have always been better watching someone teach which is why I love all the videos here. Its very visual. You also supply tabs and gp files to boot.

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Dan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Sep 19 2008, 03:03 PM
Instructor
Please enter Andrew Cockburn's forum and there you'll find a lot of interesting theory lessons.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 19 2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks Kuba. smile.gif

I have.

I was looking for more of a visual approach to it all just like all the guitar related video lessons.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Mark.
Sep 19 2008, 03:29 PM
GMC:er
I like this idea, if an instructor shows something in a video the coin drops much faster then when you just read the text.
I'd loved to see some jazz theory about the how they create licks over the ii-V-I sequence, how the notes they use relate to the chords and which notes are just fills etc. This way things would become much clearer and it would make it a lot easier for me to start making my own jazz licks instead of just reading the tabs.

This post has been edited by Mark.: Sep 19 2008, 03:29 PM

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Sep 19 2008, 04:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Sep 19 2008, 04:17 PM) *
Thanks Kuba. smile.gif

I have.

I was looking for more of a visual approach to it all just like all the guitar related video lessons.

Then I suggest you to check David Walliman's lesson. Awesome work on modes which contains also theory explanations, spoken videos etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 19 2008, 05:21 PM
Instructor
I will be doing theory and harmony lessons in future so keep a close look for that.

What things are you currently learning in theory and harmony?

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 19 2008, 06:00 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 19 2008, 12:21 PM) *
I will be doing theory and harmony lessons in future so keep a close look for that.

What things are you currently learning in theory and harmony?

The bery basics. Its almost overwhellming at the moment so I haven't been doing too much but I understand its important. Im more of a hands on guy so I have been doing mainly video lessons here.

I started working on Ivans Pentatonic Workshop and I am at level 3 currently.

I need to figure out a better agenda with what I have. I shy away from book stuff because its not my strong point.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 19 2008, 06:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Sep 19 2008, 07:00 PM) *
The bery basics. Its almost overwhellming at the moment so I haven't been doing too much but I understand its important. Im more of a hands on guy so I have been doing mainly video lessons here.

I started working on Ivans Pentatonic Workshop and I am at level 3 currently.

I need to figure out a better agenda with what I have. I shy away from book stuff because its not my strong point.

Ok thanks for telling me about it!

Do you know anything about chromatic scale, major/minor scale? Intervals? Chords?

Let me know

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 19 2008, 06:38 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 19 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Ok thanks for telling me about it!

Do you know anything about chromatic scale, major/minor scale? Intervals? Chords?

Let me know

I do. I have been learning the AMinor Pentatonic scale on my web site with Jer (Co-Admin) who is a new user here.
We create a thread to discuss these things and he has been helping me.
http://www.metalfrets.com/fretboard/index.php?board=46.0

Its hard to type out my confusion at times. I do understand why I need to know the theory but feel when will all this will come into play. Running excercises and learning other people's licks gets boring at time and the other alternative is to read about theory. And when I read it I get discouraged. I created a thread a while ago asking about a testing type web site where you can test yourself but no one knew of any.

I do appreciate you taking the time out to answer. Like I said, I always learn better if someone was explaining it to me in person rather than constantly reading things. The video lessons on the guitar has been helping a lot and thought if theory lessons were created in the same manor it could help me out a lot.

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Sep 19 2008, 06:41 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 19 2008, 06:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Sep 19 2008, 07:38 PM) *
I do. I have been learning the AMinor Pentatonic scale on my web site with Jer (Co-Admin) who is a new user here.
We create a thread to discuss these things and he has been helping me.
http://www.metalfrets.com/fretboard/index.php?board=46.0

Its hard to type out my confusion at times. I do understand why I need to know the theory but feel when will all this will come into play. Running excercises and learning other people's licks gets boring at time and the other alternative is to read about theory. And when I read it I get discouraged. I created a thread a while ago asking about a testing type web site where you can test yourself but no one knew of any.

I do appreciate you taking the time out to answer. Like I said, I always learn better if someone was explaining it to me in person rather than constantly reading things. The video lessons on the guitar has been helping a lot and thought if theory lessons were created it could help me tremendously in the same manor.

Very interesting man.

Here is what I suggest you do , and this goes for anything you study in future music related.

Lets say you are learning about major scale right, and you feel like you don't know how to apply it , the best thing to do is record Chords from the scale (just one maybe two chords or whole chord progression) and practice making melodies with that scale.
This will help because :
a) You will learn to play the scale on your guitar
b) You will be creative
c) It will improve your ear training
d) You will see how certain notes sound great over certain chords, certain don't etc

So this will give you in my opinion way better and practical approach when learning new things that seem hard and confusing. It will open up that experimenting process and you will feel much better when trying to figure it out like that then with specific method.

Having said all this, the video lessons I will do for Harmony & Theory will have something like this :

Major scale
What is major scale, how do we create it, whats the harmony in it.
Practical part : what chords are used for what type of effect , which group of chords sound strong which one sounds weak etc
And finally - picking particular chord progression and soloing/making melodies/improvising using that specific scale.
You will also have a spoken video so that will make things way easier for following and learning new stuff.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask man !

Thanks

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Sep 19 2008, 06:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 19 2008, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 19 2008, 01:48 PM) *
Very interesting man.

Here is what I suggest you do , and this goes for anything you study in future music related.

Lets say you are learning about major scale right, and you feel like you don't know how to apply it , the best thing to do is record Chords from the scale (just one maybe two chords or whole chord progression) and practice making melodies with that scale.
This will help because :
a) You will learn to play the scale on your guitar
cool.gif You will be creative
c) It will improve your ear training
d) You will see how certain notes sound great over certain chords, certain don't etc

So this will give you in my opinion way better and practical approach when learning new things that seem hard and confusing. It will open up that experimenting process and you will feel much better when trying to figure it out like that then with specific method.

Having said all this, the video lessons I will do for Harmony & Theory will have something like this :

Major scale
What is major scale, how do we create it, whats the harmony in it.
Practical part : what chords are used for what type of effect , which group of chords sound strong which one sounds weak etc
And finally - picking particular chord progression and soloing/making melodies/improvising using that specific scale.
You will also have a spoken video so that will make things way easier for following and learning new stuff.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask man !

Thanks

Thanks for the advice Pedja. I will try to implement it into my studies. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 19 2008, 07:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Sep 19 2008, 08:06 PM) *
Thanks for the advice Pedja. I will try to implement it into my studies. smile.gif

You welcome!
Try it for a day , a week , you should see immediate results wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 19 2008, 07:26 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 19 2008, 02:11 PM) *
You welcome!
Try it for a day , a week , you should see immediate results wink.gif

Will do. I think mainly I was looking for a plan of attack. If that makes sense.

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Mitchell Acoustic
Line 6 MKII

My Site
www.shredwork.com

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 19 2008, 07:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (opeth.db @ Sep 19 2008, 08:26 PM) *
Will do. I think mainly I was looking for a plan of attack. If that makes sense.

Totally ! wink.gif
I look forward to hear your results and progress.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:04 PM