Warming Up Etc, How I do it
Chris Evans
Dec 8 2007, 01:28 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
ok, reading through the forum today and the hot topic that seems to crop up a fair bit is wrist/finger injuries etc, so I got to thinking and asked myself the question how do I warm up? I`m geniunly gutted for you guys that have suffered from these kinds of injuries, I have been very lucky and never had a problem of this kind which leads me on to my answer, yes ... I do warm up, its a very slow routine and kind of a ritual before I allow myself to venture into the lesson I`m currently working on (several at the mo!)

Over the last month I`ve developed a different warm up that I believe personally has helped me in two ways, it warms me up and forces me to play techniques slower, 2 areas that I`m really concentrating on at the moment is alternate picking and sweeping, so when Muris`s Paul Gilbert lesson was launched I had a crack at it pretty much straight away, it highlighted for me areas I`m weak in, (this is where I must apologise to Muris as I used the backing from his PG lesson to develop this warm up for myself), I added a backing guitar for starters just to give it a different feel to the lesson and then I got to work, it took me a day or so to piece this together and I warm up with it using the same routine before I sit down to lessons.

Its pretty basic and I probably play this for approx 20 mins with scales to metronome in between depending on how I feel, I loop the backing and carry on over and over again the same thing wink.gif it sounds boring but its not, I do vary it, at the moment I really want to practice my sweeping so I put in a few different sweep patterns from a GMC lesson, I recorded this earlier when I was warming up

[attachment=2841:attachment]

this is the 100 backing, although towards the end of my warm up I notch it up to 125bpm and usually have a good old jam to it
this was tonights end of warm up jam theres some of the PG lesson it coz thats one I`m still working on at the mo, so was building myself up to it laugh.gif ya gotta have some fun! biggrin.gif

[attachment=2842:attachment]

So thats how I do it, how do you do it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
David.C.Bond
Dec 8 2007, 01:47 AM
GMC:er
Interesting post. Warmup is very important to a) have a productive practice cool.gif avoid injuries, so this is definately a worthwhile thread.

I tend to start warming up my left hand by first doing some scalic excercises (ALWAYS with a metronome!).

After about 5 mins I switch over to the right hand, doing some thrash style gallop riffs working my way up from about 170bpm to about 220bpm, making sure my wrist is RELAXED!

Again after 5 mins or so I switch back to the left hand and do some legato exercises (based on scales, with the metronome).

I then like to run through a complete song (with backing track or metronome) that I enjoy and play well, just to get me in a positive mood before I start practicing.

Thats how I do it, usually takes 15-20 mins.

David

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 8 2007, 01:50 AM
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 8 2007, 12:47 AM) *
I then like to run through a complete song (with backing track or metronome) that I enjoy and play well, just to get me in a positive mood before I start practicing.

Yea I think thats important before you start, thats why I always have a bit of a blow out jam and yea maybe play along with a couple of fav tracks to get me in the mood. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 8 2007, 02:28 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Dec 7 2007, 07:47 PM) *
Thats how I do it, usually takes 15-20 mins.

David

Like the sound of that - get some technique practice into the warmup and kill 2 birds with one stone smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 8 2007, 02:47 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 8 2007, 01:28 AM) *
Like the sound of that - get some technique practice into the warmup and kill 2 birds with one stone smile.gif

Indeed, and some scale work in there for fretboard knowledge.
Ya gotta play it smart! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 8 2007, 01:41 PM
Anyone else wanna add? I`d like to hear your warm ups too, be good to share some ideas I think smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 8 2007, 05:13 PM
Instructor
I don't do warm up that often cause I play all the time indeed,
tho I'm glad my BT is useful mate biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 8 2007, 05:17 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 8 2007, 04:13 PM) *
I don't do warm up that often cause I play all the time indeed,
tho I'm glad my BT is useful mate biggrin.gif

Yes I`m finding at the moment that I dont need so long to warm up coz I`m playing so much these last few months does get me in the mood tho, I like the exercises, and yea *cough* sorry it was a good BT to improvise over wink.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Dec 8 2007, 05:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 8 2007, 05:18 PM
Instructor
Be my guest wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 8 2007, 05:31 PM
Instructor
Nice warm up exercises. Keep up the good work smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 8 2007, 06:07 PM
Instructor
i don't warm-up actually. I start practicing exercises straight away at low BPM's and that's basically my warm-up.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 8 2007, 08:41 PM
Instructor
When i know i have 2+ hours practise session coming up, or some gigging I definately warm up (5 minutes without the guitar - similar to petruccis warming up, and 10 with the guitar minutes).

Before I really didn`t do that, but when my index finger felt like someone stuck a nidle in it about 6 months ago I always warm up.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 8 2007, 08:45 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 8 2007, 07:41 PM) *
When i know i have 2+ hours practise session coming up, or some gigging I definately warm up (5 minutes without the guitar - similar to petruccis warming up, and 10 with the guitar minutes).

Before I really didn`t do that, but when my index finger felt like someone stuck a nidle in it about 6 months ago I always warm up.

Yea the rehearsal thing is a toughy for me, we usually rehearse on a Friday, so I pack the car up with my gear in the morning head off to work then go straight from work, trouble is when I get there either peeps are set up and waiting and your pretty much straight in, I hate that dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
Dec 8 2007, 08:55 PM
I do the same basic warmup as Pavel. I start @ 80 BPM and play the chromatic scale ascending from 1st position all the way up my fretboard. Then I play the 7 Modes, each one running from 1st position until I run out of frets. That usually gets my hands pretty loose.. or tight, whichever way you want to look at it. Then I increase the metronome by 5bpm until I hit my current cap which is 105bpm. This is how I warmup to play electric guitar. My warmups for classical and acousitc are much different, involving alot of finger independance exercises, and legato.

--------------------

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 8 2007, 11:12 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Dec 8 2007, 07:45 PM) *
Yea the rehearsal thing is a toughy for me, we usually rehearse on a Friday, so I pack the car up with my gear in the morning head off to work then go straight from work, trouble is when I get there either peeps are set up and waiting and your pretty much straight in, I hate that dry.gif

Yeah I once did a gig where I came straight from work and when I got there my band was already on stage waiting for me! I hated not having a chance to warm up, and it definately affected my playing. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by David.C.Bond: Dec 8 2007, 11:12 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:41 AM