How To Mute The B-string Properly?
Michael C
Dec 8 2007, 10:19 PM
GMC:er
Hey Kristofer Dahl

I'm a new new member here in GMC and i have question for you. I've been having trouble lately about how to mute the b-string properly if i play the high e. I've therefore been trying several picking techniques with the right and i have found Paul Gilberts method pretty good. His pickinghand seems kind of tensed and i've tried to do this as well and i don't know if he does it to stretch his palm so the skin of the palm is more firm and therefore it easier to mute. Because when i do that then at the edge of the palm where the pinky starts there (the red mark on the picture) there is an angel where the string i wanna play is and the other strings are completely muted because the palm is so firm. But the problem is that the hand gets kind of tensed up but it is the only way i think works best for me. Especially with string skipping licks. But I really want to be able to mute the all of the strings if i'm playing the high e without muting with the left hand.

So i just wanted some advice from you about how you mute the strings and especially the b-string because it's there my problem lies.

I'm sorry for my very bad english but i hope you understand my problem. I'm kind of loosing the lust to play, but if I could get some advice or maybe a videolesson about how to properly mute the guitar strings to avoid noise, I would really appreciate it - Thanks you very much i advance!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 15 2007, 10:14 PM
GMC Founder
Hello Michael!

I agree with you that the b string is a tricky one to mute.

If I am playing on the thin e-string I would probably do it with the red part of your illustration. If I am playing on any other string above (g,d,a,e strings) I will mute it with the inside of my left hand fingers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:24 PM