Power Chords
coolzx
Jan 2 2009, 01:30 AM
GMC:er
Hi, i've been around the site and I couldnt find any power and barre chords chart, so I was just wondering if anyone that has one plz post it here please. Thank You.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 2 2009, 01:42 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Power Chords...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jan 2 2009, 04:17 AM
Wow, I didn't know that there was use for a power chord chart tongue.gif It's all the same anyways!

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 2 2009, 04:28 AM
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Jan 1 2009, 10:17 PM) *
Wow, I didn't know that there was use for a power chord chart tongue.gif It's all the same anyways!

^... unsure.gif You play pop music? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jan 2 2009, 04:30 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 2 2009, 04:28 AM) *
^... unsure.gif You play pop music? tongue.gif

I play pretty much everything, and I think that includes pop music tongue.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
coolzx
Jan 2 2009, 09:15 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 1 2009, 04:42 PM) *
Power Chords...

some of those power chords on that chart are repeated right?

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 2 2009, 09:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (coolzx @ Jan 2 2009, 09:15 AM) *
some of those power chords on that chart are repeated right?

Yeah on the chart, the same power chords are mentioned more than once.

In general it's better to just learn the shapes of the power chords with start with the root note on either the low E, A or D strings and then you can move that shape around the fretboard in order to change the chord. That way you also learn the lower strings fretboard relatively easy.

So you only have to remember these 3 shapes:

------
------
------
-5---- Root note (octave higher)
-5---- Fifth
-3---- Root note

------
------
-5----
Root note (octave higher)
-5---- Fifth
-3---- Root note
------

------
-6---- Root note (octave higher)
-5---- Fifth
-3---- Root note
------
------

The same thing is basically true for Barre-type chord, just move the exact shape around the fretboard with the root note in mind. A couple of Barre-type chords are shown below (and you can variate them , e.g.by lowering the third to make them minor or added a seventh in etc.):

--1--
--1--
--2--
--3-- F Major, with root on 6th string
--3--
--1--

--1--
--2--
--3--
--3-- Bb Minor, with root on 5th string
--1--
--1--

Hopefully this helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 2 2009, 09:35 AM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
coolzx
Jan 2 2009, 09:36 AM
Awww i see XD thnx a lot Velvet Roger.

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 2 2009, 09:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (coolzx @ Jan 2 2009, 09:36 AM) *
Awww i see XD thnx a lot Velvet Roger.

No problem, just ask around if you need more help smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 2 2009, 03:28 PM
Roger has explained the chords nicely. smile.gif Like he said, ask all the questions you need.

+Quote Post
coolzx
Jan 3 2009, 03:26 AM
T-T i got another question on power chords. I've been around youtube and yahoo answer and i've seen ppl asking the same question but each one tell a different story such as... some used the style that Roger listed while others only use 2 finger such as only fretting B and F# but leaving out the other B. Help plz T-T

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 3 2009, 09:10 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
To make a power chord you have to understand what are the building blocks of it.

As introduction, I will explain the two main chord types which are used in music as the basis (you can add all kinds of variations, but these are out of scope here): Major and Minor triads.

An example for the major triad is C Major. A major triad is build from 2 intervals, namely a major third (4 semitones) + a minor third (3 semitones) interval. It contains the notes C (root), E (major 3rd) and G (perfect fifth).

If we would like to make this major triad, minor instead we use the formula for minor to get there: C minor triad is build from 2 intervals, namely a minor third (3 semitones) + a major third (4 semitones) interval. It contains the notes C (root), D# (minor 3rd) and G (perfect fifth).

Now, if we go back to your question regarding powerchords, and take for example a C powerchord, you can see that it is build from only 2 notes (the root: C and the perfect fifth: G):

-----
-----
--5-- Root note C (one octave higher)
--5-- Perfect fifth G
--3-- Root note C
-----

You probably have noticed that a powerchord is not have a 'major' or 'minor' feel (as the third in the chord is missing), therefore you can play the powerchords in many situations.

So, to answer finally your question, should a powerchord be played using three strings or two: both are indeed possible and fine, as both contain the 2 building blocks what characterizes a powerchord (root + perfect fifth). The addition of the root note (one octave higher) in the 3 strings version gives the actual chord more 'body' and a 'broader' sound.

Powerchords are very often used especially when you are using distorted guitar sounds, as 'regular' chords tend to sound less attractive with distortion.

Hopefully this gives you a bit more understanding smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 3 2009, 09:20 AM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
coolzx
Jan 3 2009, 09:44 AM
Ohhhh, haha thanks this gave me a much better understanding of power chords thanks, and sorry for such a bother, i've been trying to learn the guitar by myself with no help from anyone at all T-T so its been quite difficult so it would be better to fully understand somthing before going out to learn it, so i wont make a mistake in the progress. Anyways thanks a lot for your help.

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 3 2009, 12:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (coolzx @ Jan 3 2009, 09:44 AM) *
Ohhhh, haha thanks this gave me a much better understanding of power chords thanks, and sorry for such a bother, i've been trying to learn the guitar by myself with no help from anyone at all T-T so its been quite difficult so it would be better to fully understand somthing before going out to learn it, so i wont make a mistake in the progress. Anyways thanks a lot for your help.

No problem at all. I would also suggest that you take a look at Andrew's Theory Lessons, which you can find here. This will certainly help you understand many aspects of playing the guitar.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:00 PM