My First "cover Tune" With Alexa :)
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2014, 12:49 AM
GMC:er
This is my first Cover Tune with my fave German Vocalist ALEXA smile.gif Give it a listen and let me know what you think! I'm doing guitars and the track was produced by John Wardlaw of the band ANTI-M.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/see-me-in-shadow-cover-version-feat-alexa-todd-produced-by-john-wardlawanti-m

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 17 2014, 12:54 AM
Beautiful song Todd - great vocalist, great guitar playing.

My only gripe is, and I hear this so often, is how far in the front the vocals are, and the music is waaaaaaay in the back. My personal preference is for everything to be mixed as equal as possible. Other than that, you guys are ready to hit the tour circuit.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2014, 01:14 AM
I hear ya smile.gif When I'm mixing I tend to usually put the guitar waaaaay in front and put the rest a bit in the back smile.gif But when music is mixed for a more general audience it does tend to get very Vocal and drum heavy. Touring might be tough as the producer is in LosAngeles, I"m a Southern boy, and the Vocalist is in Germany, but hey, never say never!

QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 16 2014, 07:54 PM) *

My only gripe is, and I hear this so often, is how far in the front the vocals are, and the music is waaaaaaay in the back. My personal preference is for everything to be mixed as equal as possible. Other than that, you guys are ready to hit the tour circuit.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 17 2014, 06:30 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I thought the chunky distorted guitar sections should have been up a bit as well cool.gif but cool song nonetheless. Very cool solo smile.gif
she's got a great voice indeed.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jul 17 2014, 06:36 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
COOL, looks like the german tour comes closer smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 17 2014, 07:05 AM
Learning Tone Master

Very beautiful song and I really enjoyed your guitar solo that start at 3:52 smile.gif Was damn tasty!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks! smile.gif The solo is based on the solo in the real song actually. I started the way the original started then sorta just wung it at the end. It was wads of fun!

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jul 17 2014, 02:05 AM) *
Very beautiful song and I really enjoyed your guitar solo that start at 3:52 smile.gif Was damn tasty!!! smile.gif

Closer every day!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jul 17 2014, 01:36 AM) *
COOL, looks like the german tour comes closer smile.gif

I'm with ya! More guitar!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 17 2014, 01:30 AM) *
I thought the chunky distorted guitar sections should have been up a bit as well cool.gif but cool song nonetheless. Very cool solo smile.gif
she's got a great voice indeed.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 17 2014, 06:34 PM
Cool track, great playing!

The 'volume' of the guitars (rhythm chunk and solo) is fine. It might be a soundcloud or just general file compression thing but I feel that the reason some of the parts get lost or seem quieter is because there's way too much effect on them. Reverb should come down IMO. 'Dry' it up a little they'll become more present in the mix. Though I assume you have zero control over that aspect of the tune.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jul 17 2014, 06:35 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2014, 07:03 PM
Many thanks! smile.gif Also for checking it out! I didn't mix it sadly, just contributed the guitar and prayed for the best. This version is done by the vocalist as she did her own thing and laid it on top of the existing mix. I'm going to get the dry vocal track to the producer to see if he can put together a more coherent mix. I like where the track is going smile.gif But it's very very rough in terms of mix. It's really just a DEMO to see what her voice sounded like doing covers.

But the good news is it's working! smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 17 2014, 01:34 PM) *
Cool track, great playing!

The 'volume' of the guitars (rhythm chunk and solo) is fine. It might be a soundcloud or just general file compression thing but I feel that the reason some of the parts get lost or seem quieter is because there's way too much effect on them. Reverb should come down IMO. 'Dry' it up a little they'll become more present in the mix. Though I assume you have zero control over that aspect of the tune.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 20 2014, 12:10 PM
Learning Roadie
My main thought when listening to it apart from the mix, is that she sounds like she's from a musical theatre background but it may well be that because it's not her native language she is articulating and annuciating more than a native english speaker would.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 20 2014, 02:51 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
The song, vocal and playing are all fine in my opinion but really let down by the mix and production (even if it is a demo).

As Ken very rightly says there is far too much reverb and delay effects throughout. The reverb has lead to a mix that is very muddy and where the timing is indistinct: at times you end up with a vocal where a note hasn't fully decayed before the next one starts, so the whole starts to suffer from timing and pitch. In addition it also means that various parts move back and forth in the feild rather than being in one place so levels and distance aren't consistent. To be brutal there i so much reverb that to me the entire song sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom. Drums - at least for me - lack power. The guitar level/placement in the field is ok but the mix needs to give it more space - at present there are too many parts fighting each other. Not sure what some of the various backing parts - particularly backing vox - add at times since to me they distract attention rather than add to or support the main vox. Fades need redoing, particularly the fade out as you can hear a very obvious click as something turns off and also the low synth just rumbles on indefinitely without fading properly.

By the way - You position vocals and instruments both back and forward in the sound stage and not just left to right so as to get a more 3d soundscape: if you don't your mix will sound flat and unnatural. Most songs which have a lead vocal will be produced with that as the focal track. Consequently the lead vocal will often be forward in the mix and are the focus as most people tend to remember the vocals and sing along to the lyrics - pharell's 'happy' is a case in point here, a cut and paste*, simple, repeated vocal chorus line. So simple that people remember it easily and sing it.

*Cut and paste as most of the lead vocal is based on just 2 different takes which have been cut and pasted through the song.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Jul 20 2014, 02:52 PM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 20 2014, 07:49 PM
Sadly, I didn't get to touch the mix!! I just gave the existing mix, without vocal to the singer. She added her vocal on top and that was pretty much it. So I must apologize for all the issues with the mix in advance. I wish I could have gotten the original tracks but no luck. I did finally get the vocal tracks and I gave them to the producer. I will pass on your notes though as they are spot on! Thanks!

Todd

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 20 2014, 09:51 AM) *
The song, vocal and playing are all fine in my opinion but really let down by the mix and production (even if it is a demo).

As Ken very rightly says there is far too much reverb and delay effects throughout. The reverb has lead to a mix that is very muddy and where the timing is indistinct: at times you end up with a vocal where a note hasn't fully decayed before the next one starts, so the whole starts to suffer from timing and pitch. In addition it also means that various parts move back and forth in the feild rather than being in one place so levels and distance aren't consistent. To be brutal there i so much reverb that to me the entire song sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom. Drums - at least for me - lack power. The guitar level/placement in the field is ok but the mix needs to give it more space - at present there are too many parts fighting each other. Not sure what some of the various backing parts - particularly backing vox - add at times since to me they distract attention rather than add to or support the main vox. Fades need redoing, particularly the fade out as you can hear a very obvious click as something turns off and also the low synth just rumbles on indefinitely without fading properly.

By the way - You position vocals and instruments both back and forward in the sound stage and not just left to right so as to get a more 3d soundscape: if you don't your mix will sound flat and unnatural. Most songs which have a lead vocal will be produced with that as the focal track. Consequently the lead vocal will often be forward in the mix and are the focus as most people tend to remember the vocals and sing along to the lyrics - pharell's 'happy' is a case in point here, a cut and paste*, simple, repeated vocal chorus line. So simple that people remember it easily and sing it.

*Cut and paste as most of the lead vocal is based on just 2 different takes which have been cut and pasted through the song.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 23 2014, 12:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 17 2014, 12:54 AM) *

my 2 cents, cause thats all it's worth.I will kindly disagree with spock .The lead vocals should do just that,they should sit a little higher and "Lead" , then when lead guitar comes in , it should sit where vocals were.That being said, I do think vocals could come down a little,it is, to me, getting to the point where she doesn't feel like she is apart of the band,but things sound top notch(except for the guitar wrk,come on , that's a joke ,laugh a little mad.gif )

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 24 2014, 03:18 AM
Hehehehe, thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 23 2014, 07:36 AM) *
my 2 cents, cause thats all it's worth.I will kindly disagree with spock .The lead vocals should do just that,they should sit a little higher and "Lead" , then when lead guitar comes in , it should sit where vocals were.That being said, I do think vocals could come down a little,it is, to me, getting to the point where she doesn't feel like she is apart of the band,but things sound top notch(except for the guitar wrk,come on , that's a joke ,laugh a little mad.gif )

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:30 PM