2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Warrior Bushido Task 14, continuation of intermediate/advanced threads
Ben Higgins
Apr 27 2012, 06:21 PM
Instructor
Greetings Disciples !

As I mentioned here, the Intermediate and Advanced Bushido threads will now come together as the Warrior thread ! As the last Intermediate Task was number 13, we will be calling this Warrior Bushido Task 14 to keep things even with the Apprentice thread. Hopefully this will all make sense smile.gif

Task 14: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...Of-Your-Guitar/

You may think, 'What ? Level 3 ? But the Apprentice thread are doing a level 4...'

Well, the individual techniques that are found in Cosmin's lesson may be around a level 3 but to get the level of expression, control and articulation he does, you're going to have to dig into masterful levels of feeling.

There's so many subtle nuances in the micro bends, the bends that are sometimes delayed.. the slides.. the mark of an experienced player is whether they can bring out these elements so be assured that is a worthy challenge for you guitar warriors.

Also, as I said in the Apprentice thread, it's the last Task for April and I want to round off the month by giving you a nice piece of music to play as you've concentrating on specific areas of technique up until this point. This is a chance to put lots of things into practice - Enjoy ! smile.gif

Deadline is next Friday 4th May

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 27 2012, 08:26 PM
Instructor
Bushido Temple Warriors!

I have come to watch your training under Sensei Ben's roof!

Be as graceful as the leaf touching the water, as gentle as a pillow touching a tired face and as furious as the summer storm winds cracking through the old trees in the wood!

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
gregc1
Apr 29 2012, 02:15 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Ben (and Cosmin)! Getting in early this week. This was actually pretty tricky to keep the accuracy with all of the bends. I know I missed my fair share. I wanted to go ahead and post anyway so I can go back and do the last task as well without falling behind again. Look forward to your feedback here and I'll post to the REC as well.

Talk to you soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 29 2012, 02:45 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
wow, awesome take greg.. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
gregc1
Apr 29 2012, 03:08 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks maharzan. I appreciate it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 29 2012, 09:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Apr 29 2012, 02:15 AM) *
Hey Ben (and Cosmin)! Getting in early this week. This was actually pretty tricky to keep the accuracy with all of the bends. I know I missed my fair share. I wanted to go ahead and post anyway so I can go back and do the last task as well without falling behind again. Look forward to your feedback here and I'll post to the REC as well.

Talk to you soon!

Oh my... Greg, what an outstanding performance, really.. what can I say ???? biggrin.gif Just beautiful.. wait until Cosmin sees it !

What do you do for tone, I really like it. Is it a POD or software ?

My only suggestions would be to make more of the bends have a gradual let down, just like you do at 0:35.. it's really great and it suggests a sustained outpouring of emotion which is perfect for ballads. There's nothing wrong with your bending approach at all but I think there are more bends which sound too direct. 0:44 is an example of what I mean. There's nothing actually wrong with that, I'd just mix up the two approaches a bit more so you've got a nice balance between the direct bends and the gradual bends. At the moment you've got like a 90/10 mix and I'd just sub more of the direct bends for more of the slow ones, that's all but it's just taste.

And yeah, post in the REC, I already know what I'm scoring it...

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 29 2012, 10:05 AM
Instructor
I totally agree with Ben here wink.gif subtleties are desirable in this piece, although your bends are technically very correct! Go with the flow my friend! An congratulations! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Apr 29 2012, 03:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ben, thank you for the kind words. I totally get what you're saying about the gradual bends. I definitely have a tendency to bend faster than I should for a more emotional piece like this, even almost pre-bending in some cases. I'll work to smooth out my playing a little more and try to get that true "crying" effect.

For my tone, I just use Guitar Rig 3 (favorite amp is the High White). I've got 3 patches that I pretty much stick with all of the time. Two for the heavier distorted playing and one for the clean - slightly dirty playing.

Have a good one!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 29 2012, 09:05 AM) *
I totally agree with Ben here wink.gif subtleties are desirable in this piece, although your bends are technically very correct! Go with the flow my friend! An congratulations! biggrin.gif

Thanks Cosmin. It seems like an easy lesson watching you play it but this song is jam packed with subtlety. I had a good time learning this and look forward to learning more of your lessons!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 29 2012, 05:14 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif thanks a lot! smile.gif I will prepare one in the same manner soon, very soon biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 29 2012, 11:24 PM
GMC:er
Impressive skills, Greg - bravo!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 30 2012, 06:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
Nice job! I love how your bends all made it to the right note! Great feel.
Now, put that guitar strap on, stand up, and let's see it in the spot light!

Groovin!

QUOTE (gregc1 @ Apr 28 2012, 06:15 PM) *

Talk to you soon!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
gregc1
May 2 2012, 02:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks dark dude and SirJamsalot! I appreciate the comments.

Jams, haha yeah, my recording set up is not the best. I do need to work on getting it more front and center. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
May 3 2012, 08:01 AM
Learning Roadie
Dang! it's been a while.... since I recorded anything.... New Years Day actually. I got lost doing exercises and drills for all this time...

Here is my take

Hope it does this great lesson some justice

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 3 2012, 08:19 AM
Instructor
Hey Jordan! Congratulations man! Well done! The only thing which you could improve in my opinion - this is Ben's territory so, I'll let him develop this - would be the duration of some notes, or better said the way you flow through the notes - don't separate them that much smile.gif the melody has to flow. These are super smooth details, but all in all you have done justice! Hope Ben won't mind me commenting here biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
May 3 2012, 08:26 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 3 2012, 04:49 PM) *
Hey Jordan! Congratulations man! Well done! The only thing which you could improve in my opinion - this is Ben's territory so, I'll let him develop this - would be the duration of some notes, or better said the way you flow through the notes - don't separate them that much smile.gif the melody has to flow. These are super smooth details, but all in all you have done justice! Hope Ben won't mind me commenting here biggrin.gif

Hey C-Man! Thanks for the feedback mate. cool.gif

I know exactly what you mean about more connection (flow) with the melody.
If I had more time I would have done a better job I think, a few more days working on it to 'smooth' it out.... But this is Ben's Temple of Guitar Warrior's, he actually hits me if I don't make the dealine... Nipple Cripple's hurt ya know tongue.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by JaxN4: May 3 2012, 08:30 AM

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 10:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ May 3 2012, 08:26 AM) *
Hey C-Man! Thanks for the feedback mate. cool.gif

I know exactly what you mean about more connection (flow) with the melody.
If I had more time I would have done a better job I think, a few more days working on it to 'smooth' it out.... But this is Ben's Temple of Guitar Warrior's, he actually hits me if I don't make the dealine... Nipple Cripple's hurt ya know tongue.gif

Cheers

This is fantastic Jordan. For some reason I didn't get an email notification of this so I noticed it in the REC forum first so my comments about it can be found there !! You're safe, of course.. no disciplinary actions will be taken against you this week ! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 3 2012, 08:19 AM) *

Of course I don't mind, C-maestro ! smile.gif

Also, Warriors, please notice that there's been an exciting new addition to Guitar Bushido... you can check it out here biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=44186

+Quote Post
JD_
May 3 2012, 11:02 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 3 2012, 06:46 PM) *
This is fantastic Jordan. For some reason I didn't get an email notification of this so I noticed it in the REC forum first so my comments about it can be found there !! You're safe, of course.. no disciplinary actions will be taken against you this week ! biggrin.gif

Usually I would reply in a PM but if this can help someone else then that the point.

Your comments were: "Just perfect ! J-Master you're becoming a Rock Ballad Monster !

Watch out ladies, he's armed with a guitar and has romance on his mind !!!

The feel, timing, vibrato and bending were all brilliant - really tasteful. The only suggestion I'd make would be to make some your bends return in a gradual way instead a very meticulous step down approach. This gives a more emotive, heart wrenching type of effect. However, since this is just a matter of personal taste, it doesn't affect that big fat 10 I've just given you"

Very funny btw, i actually LOL'd while reading that, and i hate using those txt abbreviations.... cool.gif

It's interesting you mention the point about returning the bends in a gradual and smooth way... I avtually didn't even think about this aspect. My notes from yesterday's practice session when playing this piece was: "Bend up slowly.... and hang there, then release, also watch your timing"..... If i had returned the bends in a more tastefull fashion it would have sounded alot better.
Very good feedback mate, much appreciated. smile.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 3 2012, 12:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ May 3 2012, 11:02 AM) *
It's interesting you mention the point about returning the bends in a gradual and smooth way... I avtually didn't even think about this aspect. My notes from yesterday's practice session when playing this piece was: "Bend up slowly.... and hang there, then release, also watch your timing"..... If i had returned the bends in a more tastefull fashion it would have sounded alot better.
Very good feedback mate, much appreciated. smile.gif

Yeah, it's just another way of approaching the bends. There was nothing wrong with what you actually played, those bends were spot on, this is just one more possibility to add to it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 4 2012, 08:22 AM
Instructor
How are the rest of you Homies doing ? I know it's disappointing that you didn't land the Donut this time but just think, next time - it could be you ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 4 2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I am practising this one. No power since last night, I was planning to record today. Lets see if I can do it tonight.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:30 AM