Writing A Song
korblitz
Apr 8 2013, 12:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
How sonofkoji approaches writing a song

It seems like simple melodies and rhythm. You create with your ear and then you analyze. Trial and error seems to be the way.

Does anyone of you feel like thats a good way to create a song or make music? How do you approach writing a song.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 8 2013, 02:29 PM
Instructor
Hi Korblitz, this is a very good video! His method is very close to mine. I don't really think to much on music theory when I'm composing music, it's just trial and error, using my ear and my guitar to get what I'm looking for. I can start with a riff, a chord progression, a rhythm, a vocal melody for verse or for chorus. i record this short idea and then continue working on it. I have done many Vchat sessions in which I composed songs live to share my approach. I can do a few more if you would like it!

I composed this two lesson in Vchat sessions:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Avenged-Sevenfold/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Iron-M...-For-Beginners/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2013, 09:05 AM
Instructor
Thanks for the video!

Same here mate, I don't really think about anything when writing music smile.gif I just let it come out. If there's something there, it will come, if not, I will wait.

I know it sounds esoteric and all, but this is how I see things... I don't like to force music, because it's like a shy animal - it will run away and I will feel dry for some time, not being able to make it come out.

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 9 2013, 09:23 AM
GMC:er
I'm very rhythm oriented and find inspiration from Drum beats. So, mostly I write my guitar parts over drum beats. That's why I love EZDrummer so much. I can cut a small section out, loop it, and and then I will hear a rhythm inside my head for the guitar. I've tried writing based around a melody, but not having a real drummer daily, then it becomes difficult to put drums to the idea unless my son is home and work on those for me.

Regardless, writing around drums is what seems to help my creative juices flow the most, or writing on top of someones bass line, which allows me to be more dynamic and not attempt to fill all the holes with a note.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 9 2013, 09:31 AM
I would say that most musicians, when they write - just let it flow and forget about any theoretical stuff.
Occasionally I'll be working on something 'theoretical' - hear a cool pattern, chord prog, voicing, whatever and that will inspire me/lead me to then write something related to what I just figured out. Most of the time though I just start playing something I know, make a 'cool' mistake or substitute a chord and then it starts to become something else.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 9 2013, 10:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 9 2013, 09:31 AM) *
I would say that most musicians, when they write - just let it flow and forget about any theoretical stuff.
Occasionally I'll be working on something 'theoretical' - hear a cool pattern, chord prog, voicing, whatever and that will inspire me/lead me to then write something related to what I just figured out. Most of the time though I just start playing something I know, make a 'cool' mistake or substitute a chord and then it starts to become something else.

Yeah...this is exactly what is happening smile.gif I usually make a loop on the raw backing track concept and try to sing to myself. Than I search for those notes and that's the point I start to add some guitar tricks to it. Never really thought of scales or theory while composing. They came when I analyze what I've just done. Sometimes I do analyze the neck in sense of scales while there is some more jazzy / fusion improvisation to be done but it's only to have a better start before I'll find a concept for this particular track smile.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Apr 9 2013, 10:26 AM
Awesome video, thanks !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 9 2013, 01:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 9 2013, 05:05 AM) *
Thanks for the video!

Same here mate, I don't really think about anything when writing music smile.gif I just let it come out. If there's something there, it will come, if not, I will wait.

I know it sounds esoteric and all, but this is how I see things... I don't like to force music, because it's like a shy animal - it will run away and I will feel dry for some time, not being able to make it come out.

"Music is like a shy animal", cool quote mate! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2013, 05:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 9 2013, 12:38 PM) *
"Music is like a shy animal", cool quote mate! smile.gif

Thanks bro biggrin.gif

Hey Korblitz - here's a little quasi-assignment to gt you started wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:11 AM