2 Pages V  < 1 2  
The Motivation Thread, words to keep you going
Tank
Nov 13 2007, 06:29 AM
GMC Veteran
I think there are a number of things that have made me practice (now I'm doing it more than ever). I was lucky enough to play professionally, although I was a mediocre player, but I'm at home on a stage (and that can sometimes get you further). However:

I'd been playing for a good 13 years before I ever thought it was possible to play Slash or Marty Friedman solos, I believed that only "guitar gods" would be blessed with the skill to do it. There were no lessons available that showed you beyond a certain level. Then I saw a video on the net of a guy doing a cool arpeggio technique as a freebie lesson. I downloaded it, and learned the lick, then thought "Hey this shredding isn't a mystery, it's just hard work". The video was Kris, in the summer of 2005. So he inspired me to try harder. Within the year, I'd learned to play Eruption, and the Sweet Child of Mine solo on stage in front of a live audience.

I was lucky enough to work at a Page & Plant concert back in 1998, and was able to stand side of stage, as my hero played to the Pittsburgh Arena. That was the moment when I thought "that's what I want to do.." I was playing professionally within 2 years.

Strangely enough, in 2002, I met Robert Plant again, twice in a month. The first time, I introduced myself, asked for an autograph, and chatted about the Walking into Clarkesdale tour, and that night at Pittsburgh. I told him that I was now playing professionally and he beamed at me. A few weeks later at a music party, he was there, and he actively swept people away to get over to me and speak to "the Irish guy". There's a lot to be said when your hero's turn out to be genuinely nice people.

And the GMC inspires me. I see Kris developing this idea from a fringe forum to one of the best guitar sites on the net. I see others struggling the way I do. I also see other guitarists improving, and so that drives me to try and keep up. And sometimes I see a lesson by Muris, and think "that guy has stolen my dream sound out of my head." tongue.gif

And when it boils down to it, I know that all that it takes is hard work. Nothing more special. 3 hours tonight, working on getting my 3rd finger to do what I want without trying to drag my pinky all over the fretboard, 2 hours in the morning, working on getting a 1,2,4 stretch to work in scales up the neck, while standing up. And piece by piece, I'll reach where I need to be. And so will everyone else smile.gif

/T

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 13 2007, 06:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tank @ Nov 13 2007, 06:29 AM) *
. And sometimes I see a lesson by Muris, and think "that guy has stolen my dream sound out of my head." tongue.gif

/T

Thanks Tank,glad my work pushes you on!! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Animosity
Nov 13 2007, 06:35 AM
GMC:er
I listen to Jimmy Page for inspiration. Wait.... he also makes me feel like a complete beginner!

Meh, I still love him. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 12 2007, 09:26 PM) *
Thus, we should have a lesson on trill-solos while simultaneously downing a beer....

+1

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 13 2007, 06:37 AM
Lets go fishing!
Fantastic post there Tank!! I can also Say, Kris motivated me like no tommorow.

After listening to his advice, there was no doubt in my mind i could acheive my goals, there still isnt!! I dont look at anything as impossible.

I look at it this way, knowone is a god, they are a person like anyone else. They have practiced darn hard to acheive greatness. I too will practiced darn hard!!! wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 13 2007, 06:39 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Excellent post Tank.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Tank
Nov 13 2007, 06:58 AM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (Animosity @ Nov 13 2007, 05:35 AM) *
I listen to Jimmy Page for inspiration. Wait.... he also makes me feel like a complete beginner!

Meh, I still love him. laugh.gif
+1

The cool thing is, that I listen to him now pretty much once a day. And, listening to every riff, every screaming lead, I can now state that I could sit down with a guitar, and learn it all. With ease. Most of the leads I can see how he plays it in my head, as I'm washing the dishes!! I most definately could not have done that 2 years ago. And so I get to enjoy every note that's played in the solo, Led Zep sounds new to me, the more I listen to it smile.gif

I named my daughter Paige btw (my mrs wouldn't let me loose the letter "i"!!) laugh.gif

Cheers guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 13 2007, 07:02 AM
QUOTE (Tank @ Nov 12 2007, 09:58 PM) *
I named my daughter Paige btw (my mrs wouldn't let me loose the letter "i"!!) laugh.gif

Cheers guys smile.gif

thats awesome. smile.gif

again, excellent post. these sentiments are exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping people would share.

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
Animosity
Nov 13 2007, 07:33 AM
QUOTE (Tank @ Nov 12 2007, 11:58 PM) *
The cool thing is, that I listen to him now pretty much once a day. And, listening to every riff, every screaming lead, I can now state that I could sit down with a guitar, and learn it all. With ease. Most of the leads I can see how he plays it in my head, as I'm washing the dishes!! I most definately could not have done that 2 years ago. And so I get to enjoy every note that's played in the solo, Led Zep sounds new to me, the more I listen to it smile.gif

Cheers guys smile.gif

You and I need to talk! You are exactly what I strive to be. I just started guitar (about 3-4 months ago). I'd love to know what you did to get where you are today. I mean really know too! What were you doing when you were at the stage I am at, what did you do next, etc. I understand this might take a while, if you are up to the challenge at all, so take your time! All I seem to be interested in right now is attempting(strong emphasis there) to play basic riffs to my favorite songs.

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Nov 13 2007, 12:44 PM
QUOTE (Tank @ Nov 12 2007, 11:58 PM) *

Cheers guys smile.gif

Hey I not learning anything that requires me to wash dishes, not me.

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Tank
Nov 13 2007, 03:39 PM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (Animosity @ Nov 13 2007, 06:33 AM) *
You and I need to talk! You are exactly what I strive to be. I just started guitar (about 3-4 months ago). I'd love to know what you did to get where you are today. I mean really know too! What were you doing when you were at the stage I am at, what did you do next, etc. I understand this might take a while, if you are up to the challenge at all, so take your time! All I seem to be interested in right now is attempting(strong emphasis there) to play basic riffs to my favorite songs.

I'd suggest that your question would be best suited as a separate thread, aimed at the instructors. I think you'd learn a more useful path, as I took the long way around (by not practicing enough when I should have). If it went on "how long have you been playing", I should be a lot better than I am now!!

Right, morning practice over, time for work. Later guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 13 2007, 04:05 PM
Just to post on this topic about Motivation,there is alot of things that makes me hang in there and never QUIT.To begin with guitar is the only thing in really good at and passinate about.I've played for about 11 years now and it all started for me wanting to be a part of the music i listened to Metallica.Guitar is just one of those things that i truly believe ''You can do anything you want its just how bad do you want it''.I know i can play anything in the world i just have to constantly practice it and fail several times to get it right.I love that about guitar.When i hear some very difficult guitar part i dont want to run from it i want to get obsessed about it and get it down.

Also as most of you know im a father of 2 a boy and a girl.I want to learn everything i can and keep my skills improving so that when my son is of age i will have the tools to teach him to rule the world with his guitar biggrin.gif .I dream for the day that i can pass all my hard work that i put into the guitar down to him and to one day watch him out play me.Thats the stuff that still gives me chill's and keeps me wanting to not setle for ok and go for great!!!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
kahall
Nov 14 2007, 12:47 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ Nov 11 2007, 12:49 PM) *

Another story that keeps me motivated is one that keith richards tells about their drummer, Charlie Watts:

"at the end of a show, he'll leave the stage, and the sirens will be going, and the limousines waiting, and Charlie will walk back to his drumkit and change the position of his drumsticks by two millimeters. Then he'll look at it. Then if it looks good, he'll leave......The drums are about to be stripped down and put in the back of a truck, and he cannot leave if he's got it in his mind that he's left his sticks in a displeasing way."

that, my friends, is love.

Great thread everyone. I just love that I can play things I like over and over, I have always wanted to be able to do that. It is so irritating to me when a guitar player gets a good thing going and then switches it up before I am ready. :-)

As for the above story. Sounds like Charlie might of had a touch of ADD. I would know, so I am not making fun of it, but I hope he got some meds.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 15 2007, 01:57 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ Nov 14 2007, 03:47 AM) *
Great thread everyone. I just love that I can play things I like over and over, I have always wanted to be able to do that. It is so irritating to me when a guitar player gets a good thing going and then switches it up before I am ready. :-)

As for the above story. Sounds like Charlie might of had a touch of ADD. I would know, so I am not making fun of it, but I hope he got some meds.

Sounds more like harmless pedantry to me, I wouldnt put someone on meds for doing that, everyone has their little quirks.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:35 PM