Grindguer Mtp Thread, Introduction
GrindGuer
Mar 2 2010, 04:09 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
Hey Emir,

I want to thank you for providing me this fabulous opportunity to be your pupil. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this journey with you. I hope I'll find all the time needed to work.

1. About me and my musical background
I'm 36, live in France and teach math in a school. I'm also an amateur free software developer : http://www.pyromaths.org.
I've been playing guitar for 16 years now. But I'm really not satisfied with my playing (who is anyway). I've got some technical basics but can't really improvise a solo. I think I've been most of the time studying technic and not enough playing music.
I've been playing in a metal band for a year or so and in a progressive band who did Dream theater covers (which were awful I must admit).

2. Favorite guitarists
I enjoy a lot of different styles. I've started listening to Pink Floyd and Dire Straits and love David Gilmour and Mark Knoppfler. Then I started to listen to metal music and guitar heroes. I love John Petrucci (in Dream Theater, not fan of his solo album), Steve Vai, Greg Howe and Guthrie Govan. I also listen to some Jazz and love John Scofield, Pat Metheny and Al Di Meola.

3. Favorite music style
Depending of my mood, I can listen Between the burried and me, Pat Metheny, Mozart, Pink Floyd. Except electronic and pop music, I think I love a lot of different styles.

4. What I expect from the MTP
I'd like to learn my fretboard, how to construct a rhythmic and a solo that can fit to it, and eventually some technics. I would like to know what to play when I have a guitar and a listener. Which is the aim of music, isn't it ? smile.gif
I also wish I can play a piece tastefully. I usually play the notes but it's like I can't put any emotion in it.

Hope this is a correct introduction. If you need any more information, ask and I'll try to answer.
Can't wait to hear from you.

GrindGuer, aka Jérôme (J-Rom in english)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
GrindGuer
Mar 9 2010, 04:57 PM
Hey Emir, don't know what's going on here. unsure.gif Hope you're allright.
I'm working on your lesson ap etude in am triplet feel. It's really difficult to me, but I'm improving. I made a recording of it at 127 bpm last night. If you could comment it to tell me what's to improve before I try to push the tempo, it would be really appreciated. smile.gif
Hope to read from you soon... huh.gif

Attached File  08mars2010.mp3 ( 562.27K ) Number of downloads: 167

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 11 2010, 05:23 PM
Instructor
Hi and sorry for being away for too long. Thank you for the introduction. I've heard your take on my AP lesson. I think it sounds great. This could be your first REC take which you have to submit once a month during this MTP program. Make sure that everything is AP.

In order to learn fretboard and improvise solos I have a program which I covered with previous MTP students. Lets start with major scale patterns in 5 positions all over the neck.

Here I am explaining the first 3 positions of the chart and you can figure out the other two. Later we will make a good use of these patterns.

This is how Dexxter did it. He made a drum loop and played over it. It would be nice if you can do the same.

So this is your first assignment and I will open the new assignment thread where you can post your final work. Keep this one for disscussion and practicing.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Mar 11 2010, 08:10 PM
Hey Emir,
I'm really excited to begin my work with you.
About the AP lesson, I'm far from being able to play it full tempo and I don't think I'll manage to do it at the end of this month. It's insane at 170 bpm smile.gif And yes I play it all using alternate picking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 12 2010, 05:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Mar 11 2010, 07:10 PM) *
Hey Emir,
I'm really excited to begin my work with you.
About the AP lesson, I'm far from being able to play it full tempo and I don't think I'll manage to do it at the end of this month. It's insane at 170 bpm smile.gif And yes I play it all using alternate picking.

If you think it's not possible in March then pick something else. My triplet feel riffing sounds similar but it is much easier. It doesn't even need to be my song. Can be anything and you don't necessarily have to pass, just to submit.

Try to learn these scale shapes by sunday and post them in the assignment thread

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 12 2010, 05:39 PM
Instructor
Here is the chart that I want you to play. Start from the top and read from left to right. First you play A major in position 5, then you play C major in position 4 etc... When you finish you move to the next row - A major position 1 etc... You should play the whole thing with no stop smile.gif Make a backing with these chords in order: A, C, D, F, G and play. If you prefer you can only leave drums like last time.

Good luck smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Mar 12 2010, 05:55 PM
That's a fast reply ! biggrin.gif This is going to be far more difficult. Do I have to know the root of each pattern and know where to find them on the fretboard ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 12 2010, 06:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Mar 12 2010, 04:55 PM) *
That's a fast reply ! biggrin.gif This is going to be far more difficult. Do I have to know the root of each pattern and know where to find them on the fretboard ?

You Should smile.gif I want to you learn your whole fretboard so you don't get lost at anytime when improvising.

Check Dexxter's and Maharzan's takes on this one.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Mar 14 2010, 11:33 AM
I find this really tough ! So many things to think at the same time : the next chord, the root note, the pattern. And it's really long to play, so many possibilities to make a mistake... I thought I couldn't do it. And finally, I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel ! wink.gif
Hopefully, I will be able to make a record next Tuesday.
Is that OK if I just know the root of each pattern on the two first strings ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 14 2010, 11:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Mar 14 2010, 10:33 AM) *
I find this really tough ! So many things to think at the same time : the next chord, the root note, the pattern. And it's really long to play, so many possibilities to make a mistake... I thought I couldn't do it. And finally, I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel ! wink.gif
Hopefully, I will be able to make a record next Tuesday.
Is that OK if I just know the root of each pattern on the two first strings ?

You have to learn all 5 shapes of the major scale, that's the whole point. Then you need to know all your roots on every string in the given position. No help if you know the root on just 1 place. Check my first chart. The root notes are in little boxes but of course you need to know also in which chord you are.

This was a pretty good job of this exercise:

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Mar 15 2010, 12:09 AM

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Mar 15 2010, 10:33 PM
Hum. OK. But the question is : do I have to know where is the A on the 3rd string ? Because I can (almost) play the grid you gave me, but I know the notes A, C, D, F, and G only on the 2 first strings. I tried to play the same grid but starting on the D string. I'm totally lost and can't play it at all... So, should I spend time on this right now, or do you think I should do it later ?
Thank you so much for your time. I'm learning much more right now than in the 10 past years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 16 2010, 06:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Mar 15 2010, 09:33 PM) *
Hum. OK. But the question is : do I have to know where is the A on the 3rd string ? Because I can (almost) play the grid you gave me, but I know the notes A, C, D, F, and G only on the 2 first strings. I tried to play the same grid but starting on the D string. I'm totally lost and can't play it at all... So, should I spend time on this right now, or do you think I should do it later ?
Thank you so much for your time. I'm learning much more right now than in the 10 past years.

You see, you said you know all these shapes smile.gif Ok that's great... But what when we change the chord? You can't just say "I know that" but do nothing with it. The purpose of this is to make you learn your fretboard 100% so you never get lost when improvising. The excuse "I only know my roots on the 2 first strings" doesn't really make sense. Why don't you just sit down and learn your roots on other strings? This exercise was on the second week at my guitar university just as we started the 1st year. We only had a week to learn it all. You have more time of course as this is not an university but it's advisable to do 4 assignments per month plus 1 REC submission. Spend an hour a day and learn all 5 scales in all positions. For example take the first row of the chart and practice that one day. The next day take the secong row etc... In 5 days you'll be ok. That's how you're going to learn all your roots and surely never forget them. I can't really think of a better advice. This is really not difficult. You already know all these shapes, you just need to play them from a different fret. I wish I can help you more but I just can't think of any better way to explain smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 16 2010, 08:33 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hi GrindGuer,

Just wanted to sneak in as I have gone through this. At first, this lesson is very daunting and that chart scares away a hell of anybody. I was too. I got confused about what that chart was but eventually did sit down and started knowing the shapes. Yes, SHAPES is what you will need to know to play this well. I already knew the notes on my fretboard but then I had to always stop for, like, 2 secs before I could confirm the note I was hitting. If you remember shapes and the root notes, this is really not that hard. Interesting part of Shapes in guitar is you can move it anywhere (any root note you intend to start with) and just play that shape. So, its not as hard as learning keyboard or other instruments.

Figure out the notes on each string, each fret (if this is too hard, you can just remember the root notes for now, others will come in time) and remember the 5 shapes. Thats the key.

Just sharing my experience and hope it helps.

Thanks,
Chandra

This post has been edited by maharzan: Mar 16 2010, 08:35 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Mar 16 2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you to both of you, Emir and Chandra.
I will learn those notes on my fretboard. It seems to be a very long work. But I'll do it. I've started yesterday night trying to play the first row of the chart starting from the D string. It seems I had figured out what your answer would be biggrin.gif That's really tough. But you're right, it seems so important. But I don't think I'll be able to do it in one week. I have to work on the Rec, your assignment, and take care of my family and my job smile.gif But I'll do it !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 16 2010, 05:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Mar 16 2010, 02:48 PM) *
Thank you to both of you, Emir and Chandra.
I will learn those notes on my fretboard. It seems to be a very long work. But I'll do it. I've started yesterday night trying to play the first row of the chart starting from the D string. It seems I had figured out what your answer would be biggrin.gif That's really tough. But you're right, it seems so important. But I don't think I'll be able to do it in one week. I have to work on the Rec, your assignment, and take care of my family and my job smile.gif But I'll do it !

Ok take your time, no rush smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 17 2010, 06:16 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Frankly GrindGuer, You SUCK!!! biggrin.gif Awesome take there but why all the panic in here? smile.gif

Well done.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Mar 17 2010, 09:29 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. It makes my day ! biggrin.gif
My English is probably not good enough to explain what my problem is. As I said, I know the shapes quite well. When I play the chart, I know where the A, C, D, F and G are on the low E or A strings and I figure out what shape I have to play. That's what i have done for the video, and that's what the exercise was about.
But I don't know where the A is on the D string, G string and B string. So if you ask me to do the same exercise starting from the G string, I need to think for about 5 seconds for each chord. Quite useless... Is it clearer ? Not really sure huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 17 2010, 09:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Mar 17 2010, 08:29 AM) *
Thank you all for your kind words. It makes my day ! biggrin.gif
My English is probably not good enough to explain what my problem is. As I said, I know the shapes quite well. When I play the chart, I know where the A, C, D, F and G are on the low E or A strings and I figure out what shape I have to play. That's what i have done for the video, and that's what the exercise was about.
But I don't know where the A is on the D string, G string and B string. So if you ask me to do the same exercise starting from the G string, I need to think for about 5 seconds for each chord. Quite useless... Is it clearer ? Not really sure huh.gif

A on the D string is on the 7th fret smile.gif hahah this is crazy to explain it that way.

If you know where the A is on the 6th string then your next A is 2 fret up and 2 strings down. Remember that rule. Those are your octaves. That's just a quick tip.

I have hell of a job to do today so I am not sure if I can get back to you today but I will soon.

Cheers

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Mar 17 2010, 11:08 AM
Thank you Emir. I won't have much time today either. So don't worry. And I still have a lot to do. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 20 2010, 04:44 PM
Instructor
Assignment 3:

This one is a bit more tricky.

1. Produce backing track with the following progression:
Am | Dm7 | E7 | Am |
Am | Dm7 | E7 | Am, C#7 |
F#m | E | D | A, C#7 |
F#m | E/G# | D | E7 |
A (major) |

One chord between the bar lines ( like |Am| ) presents one bar in 4/4. Two chords like | Am, C#7 | present each chord half a bar.

2. Play all 16th notes and move through the positions. As many positions as you can.

3. Tempo is your choice, doesn't need to be too fast.

4. The track doesnt need to be complex. Just one drum loop with root bass notes and chords on the keyboard or guitar.

5. Write down which modes you are playing over each chord. Each chord belongs to a different major scale mode. For example you will start with A aeolian over Am chord, then move to D dorian over D minor 7 and E mixolydian over E7. Play C#7 arpeggio over C#7 chord (only 4 notes). The rest you work out. While it is obvious that you are in C major scale in the first section I want you to think of the modal root of that chord. If you want to start from the A Aeolian position 1 you will realize that you are actually playing 5th position of the C major scale but you should think of A root.

6. Produce a video and submit in the assignment thread.

Good luck.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:43 PM