What Amp
joshl
Aug 7 2008, 05:58 PM
GMC:er
Im currently playing through a pretty old Fender 15R. What amp would you recommend to upgrade from that? (Less than $250) and also what would you set all the settings to on an amp like that to get a good rock sound.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 7 2008, 06:36 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
With a budget less than $250 the question is if it's even worth it to upgrade.

Also depends a lot which country your in what you get for your moneys worth. How do you plan to use it, bedroom or arena?

Check Epi Jr half stack for a tube amp. If you wanna wonder down that path.
Maybe one of the Fender champ models, one was discussed yesterday.
Something from Behringer, vampire.

I think Blackheart is outside your budget. But worth checking.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 7 2008, 07:15 PM
depends on what you want

if you want an tube amp, tough luck.

if you want an transistor amp that is good I strongly recommend to get an Roland cube.

But that is just me saying it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 7 2008, 07:46 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Maybe check a Roland Cube 30. (solid state amp)

Blackheart Little Giant 5W tube combo is quite affordable, check it out just in case, might be around 250-300$, and has good reviews.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
joshl
Aug 7 2008, 08:00 PM
Do you have to have a pedal to get a good gain sound out of a tube amp? (I cant blast it inside)

Oh and why would you want a stack vs a combo?

This post has been edited by joshl: Aug 7 2008, 08:02 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 7 2008, 08:15 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (joshl @ Aug 7 2008, 09:00 PM) *
Oh and why would you want a stack vs a combo?

Stack gives an opportunity for using different cabinets, i.e different speakers for different sounds.
Also, a combo - if we're talking tubes - will likely wear out the tubes a lot faster than a head. Sound makes vibrations that hit the tubes directly and in the long run that's damaging to them.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 7 2008, 08:32 PM
Instructor
I wouldn't say tubes last that much less in combos, but it is important thing the note of course and I agree.

I would suggest saving more money, like most of the people said, it is always better to save another 100$ and then you will have a better choice. With 250-300 green paper bills you can't really get the good stuff, but for 400$ it is possible.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 08:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 7 2008, 09:32 PM) *
I wouldn't say tubes last that much less in combos, but it is important thing the note of course and I agree.

I would suggest saving more money, like most of the people said, it is always better to save another 100$ and then you will have a better choice. With 250-300 green paper bills you can't really get the good stuff, but for 400$ it is possible.

Agreed.

Save a few bucks, head down to the local shop WITH YOUR GUITAR! and try out a few amps! laugh.gif

(I find it's a good idea to bring your own guitar, as you then know what it will sound like with that guitar.)

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 7 2008, 10:47 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 7 2008, 09:51 PM) *
Agreed.

Save a few bucks, head down to the local shop WITH YOUR GUITAR! and try out a few amps! laugh.gif

(I find it's a good idea to bring your own guitar, as you then know what it will sound like with that guitar.)

You definitly have to save up some more money in order to get a good amp! And bringing your guitar to the shop when you test it is a must !

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Aug 11 2008, 12:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 7 2008, 10:47 PM) *
You definitly have to save up some more money in order to get a good amp! And bringing your guitar to the shop when you test it is a must !

Yes, always test the amps first and then choose the one that you like the best smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:01 PM