Learning aid idea
fretdancer
Jul 12 2006, 07:26 PM
GMC:er
Hi all

I had an idea that I would like to run past you all and primarily Kris.

It came to me today that I am not learning as quickly as I feel I could do. I think a lot of the reason is that I dont have a Personal tutor, but I also thought about some of the reasons that are stopping me.

I came to the conclusion that without formal lessons, I am basically lazy, I just browse through a training excercise for instance and pick out the bits that are easy for me to do, anything that constitues an excercise is promptly ignored, anything I dont care for gets ignored.

I just continue to bit and bob, picking up little bits here and there and there is no consistency to the way I learn. Because I have no tutor there are no checks and balances, no one to say, can you do this or that before moving on to the next lesson and so I start to run before I can walk.
I am aware of all this, but still I do it, I try to be self disciplined, but I am just not made that way - I always want to know whats around the next corner....how many of us are like that?.

Well today I had this Idea that may just help people like me to learn.
All it basically is is a kind of test at the end of a lesson.

lets say there is a lesson on a particular guitarist. Kris provides a lot of information that we can soak in, but in my case a lot of it washes over me, I dont take as much notice as I could do over what scales to use, I simply dive in, learn the licks, kind of, and move on to the next one.
My technique improves a little of course but not as much as it should do. yes I know I am the only person to blame here, I am lazy. I accept that.

lets imagine this. The lessons remain the same but there is an excercise or test or whatever you want to call it at the end of the lesson. For instance lets say the lesson was "Slashes style". What an opportunity for everyone to practice what the lesson was meant to convey by each writing a solo "in the style of" and playing it to a backing track. it would not have to be a long solo, say just a dozen or 2 bars. Kris could tell us the chord sequence and obviously provide a backing track, and using the theory he has presented as a lesson, we come up with a solo, or maybe a rhythm if appropriate. These could be posted to an appropriate thread in the forum along with the tab for others to look at and yes critique, and maybe even learn from. Imagine all the different variations there would be for everyone else to practice playing. Sure some bits will be awful but some could be brilliant, and what a resource to go to if you wanted to get into somone elses style but still play original music? simply loop the backing track and pick out several of the posted riffs etc and make up your own song.

For me, actually having to write out something, using a set of guidlines such as a particular scale would make the information so much more valid, then practicing and playing the music not only which I have written but also that that others have as well would I am sure give a much better understanding of the topic?

I know not everyone would want to do so, but its just an added bonus should anyone want to do so. I am sure everyone would be interested in looking at the works posted and seeing what works and what does not?

From Kris's point of view its no more work, its just a couple of paragraphs at the end with a test that challenges your understanding of the lesson.
maybe a backing track which most lessons already have, and perhaps some link to a blank tab sheet to fill in and post?

I would be interested to hear others views on this.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Liam
Jul 12 2006, 07:54 PM
lazy ? laugh.gif

print this piece out . lay it next to you when you play guitar.

no pain no game .
less talk more walk .
shut the f*ck up and train.
go hard or go home.
:sun
that should help the lazy part.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
lespaulkevin
Jul 12 2006, 09:26 PM
eh, i do that on my own.

just record a rhthm part
then play it back and record a lead

and keep doing it, you could do it in a slash style or whatever you learned from kris the other day.

if your thing you said kris actually did it would take way too long and too much time, record it, listen to it, if its not up to scale you need to practice those bits you learned on masterclass a bit more

hope that helped biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 12 2006, 10:39 PM
GMC Founder
This is a very good idea.

I could basically just start a thread where the point is for people to do their own improvisation (ie slash improvisation). The winner could be rewarded with a little prolonguation of gmc access.

WE'll get started soon with this.

Kris smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:07 PM