> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Chris S.'s Music Theory Journey, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 18 2016, 07:31 PM
Instructor
When analyzing music I like to organize the analysis in 3 columns: Structure, What's happening? and Theory (Scales and chord progressions). The first column is basically writing down the parts (intro, verse, chorus, etc). On the second on the second one -I write how the song is arranged, what the instruments are doing, and everything that it's relevant regarding interpretation. Finally on the last column I write down the chord progression, and the scale use for vocals or other lead melodies.

When composing a lesson in the style of I analyze many songs and try to detect which are the elements and concepts that they tend to repeat or that make their music unique.

Does it make sense?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Mar 18 2016, 08:34 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 18 2016, 06:31 PM) *
When analyzing music I like to organize the analysis in 3 columns: Structure, What's happening? and Theory (Scales and chord progressions). The first column is basically writing down the parts (intro, verse, chorus, etc). On the second on the second one -I write how the song is arranged, what the instruments are doing, and everything that it's relevant regarding interpretation. Finally on the last column I write down the chord progression, and the scale use for vocals or other lead melodies.

When composing a lesson in the style of I analyze many songs and try to detect which are the elements and concepts that they tend to repeat or that make their music unique.

Does it make sense?

Thanks Gab I will be sure to do this will any covers I do smile.gif

Aside from learning the cover I decided to join the Nightwitch Broom Collab - here is my first take:

PS - how were the shows you guys played at? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2016, 07:23 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris! Great to see you joining the collab! The take is cool and I'm sure that it works for the collab. If you are interested in polishing this one, you can dedicate some time to adjust timing on the first half of the solo, mostly the first licks. Also, cleaning a bit that double string arpeggio, and making it sound more natural would improve the solo.

The solo has cool licks and I'm sure that Darius will find useful stuff for the final mix here.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Mar 25 2016, 11:49 PM
Learning Roadie
New idea in the works, my friend!

It's a love song smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/forever-rough-draft-no-vocals

I haven't really spent anytime on the mix - and the drums are just the same sample looped - but as far as the overall construction I'm pretty happy, it's a bit more complicated structurally than what I have been doing so far.

Here is the lyrics for the first two verses to give you an idea smile.gif

Every star I see
Spread across the galaxy
Humbles me
So peacefully

Even when they're gone
Their light still shines on
Present in the past
Together they will last

Forever

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2016, 02:22 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, this is a promising idea. I like the feel of the progression and main arrangement, and I think that the message behind the lyrics is deep. I'd like to hear how this one continues evolving, keep working!

who is going to sing this one?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Mar 31 2016, 06:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 28 2016, 01:22 AM) *
Hi mate, this is a promising idea. I like the feel of the progression and main arrangement, and I think that the message behind the lyrics is deep. I'd like to hear how this one continues evolving, keep working!

who is going to sing this one?

His name is Maxwell from StudioPros - he actually did vocals for the covers for some of the songs on Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II smile.gif

Here is my first attempt at using Addictive Drums smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/forever-rought-draft

I also picked up Addictive Keys - such a good sale I couldn't resist tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Apr 1 2016, 01:14 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2016, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Awesome! Congrats on your new purchases! I don't know addictive keys, what's does it include? pianos?

Great to know that you'll also have a professional singer on this track. The track sounds really good by now. I'll check it again at the studio to hear the mix and how the new drums vsti affected your track.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 1 2016, 06:36 PM
Learning Roadie
Yep - addictive keys has I believe three versions:

Studio Grand (the one I got), Upright and then Pop (I think)

Studio Grand is a couple different versions of a Grand Piano that you can mess with different microphones and placements and what not smile.gif

I do have a question regarding drums though:

So what I want to do after creating the drum track is render individual WAV files as if they were individually recorded so I can better mix the sound.

I saw a video and the way he set up his drum tracks was like this:

1. Kick
2. Snare
3. Rack Toms
4. Floor Toms
5. Overhead left
6. Overhead Right
7. Kick front

What exactly does the kick front mean and is there a way I would emulate this with Addictive Drums or no?

Thanks Gab smile.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Apr 1 2016, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2016, 06:25 PM
Instructor
There are many ways of recording kick. The most used way is to have one mic for the "kick" sound (high attack) and another one for the low end. Maybe that Kick Front is more the low end while the other mic has the attack of it. You don't have different mics for the drums on addictive but you can set the distance and position of each mic which allows you to vary the eq balance that's being captured. Another possibility is that the kick front is some kind of close room mic. In this case, you'll find that there are room mics on addictive vsti, which I recommend to use to get the right ambience and low end of the whole drum kit.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 4 2016, 02:19 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab - I will look into this.

So I rewrote the rough draft for Forever:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/forever-new-direction

I kinda like this one better but the problem is I have to completely re-write the lyrics for the Chorus tongue.gif

I'll keep you posted wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 4 2016, 03:39 AM
Instructor
It sounds like a stadium hit now. The chord progression combined with the groove suggest a very catchy vocal melody. I don't know what's the musical direction that you want to give to this one, but I would take it more to Imagine Dragon's than pop punk. I would work more on synths and other stuff that makes it sound more modern. But this is just a subjective comment.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 4 2016, 11:45 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 4 2016, 02:39 AM) *
It sounds like a stadium hit now. The chord progression combined with the groove suggest a very catchy vocal melody. I don't know what's the musical direction that you want to give to this one, but I would take it more to Imagine Dragon's than pop punk. I would work more on synths and other stuff that makes it sound more modern. But this is just a subjective comment.

Thanks Gab I will spend some time developing it smile.gif

How have you been? How's the band doing?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 4 2016, 02:28 PM
Instructor
Great!

I'm fine thanks. I had a relaxing weekend without gigs but now we are again working. We have rehearsals this week to prepared everything for this weekend short tour. We are also working on the arrangement of new songs for the next album.

We have lots of shows this year, but the idea is to also dedicate time to get a new album ready at the end of this year or maybe first months of the next one.

This is a picture that I took yesterday when getting back home from a very inspiring day at the island (Delta Tigre).

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 5 2016, 02:46 AM
Learning Roadie
Wow! That view looks amazing! I'm hoping I can take a trip down to the beach this summer smile.gif

I made some changes to Forever:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/forever-new-direction-2

I got rid of the "Pop Punk" vibe the best I could by cutting out the 16th note rhythm guitar parts - I added some synths and came up with a new chorus and lyrics to match it:

Verse:

Every star I see
Spread across the galaxy
Humbles me
So peacefully

Even when they're gone
Their light still shines on
Gently reminding me
That we can be

Chorus:

Together Forever
I know we can be
Together Forever
Just you and me

I can't live without you
Can you live without me?
'Cause baby I need you
I need us to be

Forever

The intro with the claps will have the singer humming the chorus melody to add more atmosphere - I am debating taking out the guitars from the intro and replacing it with a synth.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the synth sounds minus the synth at 2:21 - I think I might use a different one for that section.

What do you think, my friend? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 5 2016, 02:56 PM
Instructor
Good! I think that it's taking the right direction now. There is some room to make it sound less pop punk and it's related to guitar arrangement but this is a big step to the other side. Maybe listening some indie synth songs can bring ideas. The guitar tone is important here, check out some first albums Yeah Yeah Yeahs songs and notice how guitar tone sound and how guitars are played.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 5 2016, 04:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab - I gave them a listen and made some more changes.

I spent a lot of time reworking the song and I am super happy with it now - I can feel a Simple Plan vibe when I listen to this.

There are still some minor changes I will be making and I sent you a copy of the lyrics I have written via PM so you can read them smile.gif

Didn't want to post them here so someone could steal my work ph34r.gif tongue.gif

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/forever-new-direction

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Apr 6 2016, 04:08 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 7 2016, 03:00 PM
Instructor
This is very nice mate! I think that now the direction is clearer and more enjoyable. In order to adjust details regarding sound and arrangements I think that it's good to give a try to the vocals. When are you going to record it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 7 2016, 04:35 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 7 2016, 02:00 PM) *
This is very nice mate! I think that now the direction is clearer and more enjoyable. In order to adjust details regarding sound and arrangements I think that it's good to give a try to the vocals. When are you going to record it?

Probably near the end of May - I have to come up with the funds in order to hire the vocalist from Studio Pros.

In the mean time I will set this aside and begin working on something fresh to keep things going smile.gif

Also, I have my English class final on Monday - where we have 2 hours to hand write an essay on leadership.

I will be writing how to be an effective leader in the guitar teaching community citing you as a reference smile.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Apr 7 2016, 06:14 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 11 2016, 01:30 PM
Instructor
That so nice mate! I feel honoured by citing me on that essay! and I would really like to read it then. Is it possible?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 11 2016, 03:23 PM
Learning Roadie
We will be hand writing the essays today and won't get them back until May, the end of the semester, but as soon as I do I will post it.

I do have the first paragraph typed though as a reference to study for going into it:

Knowing how to be an effective leader in the guitar playing community, like that of instructor Gabriel Leopardi (band Cirse) of GuitarMasterClass.net, requires you to follow these three critical steps in order to shape your students, with a hands on approach, so that can be molded into great musicians. The first step will require you to reach out to your students; some people may be too shy to reach out to you. Next, you must be willing to dedicate your time and work with these individuals; molding inexperienced musicians into future rock stars takes a lot of perseverance. Finally, you must continue to support, motivate and inspire them in order to strengthen their confidence and give them the tools they need to be successful well after your last lesson. Let us now delve further into a more detailed explaination of the steps needed to be a truly effective leader in the guitar teaching community.

smile.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Apr 11 2016, 03:24 PM

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:52 AM