> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Chris S.'s Music Theory Journey, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 11 2016, 04:08 PM
Instructor
wou! that's awesome! this material is priceless mate. I can't wait to read the whole text. It will be really well received at GMC. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 12 2016, 06:58 PM
Learning Roadie
My pleasure, mate! It's the least I can do with everything you do for us smile.gif

So as far as new stuff, a good friend was feeling ill this week so I decided to do a quick cover of one of her favorite songs:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/adele-hello-coverremix-idea

I just threw this together pretty quick but I actually kind of like it and I think I might to try to do a real cover/remix of it. I know my timing is way off for the vocal melody - that's a big reason I want to do a real cover: to challenge myself.

So I will spend some time developing this smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 13 2016, 02:29 PM
Instructor
That's very nice mate. I hope that your friends gets better soon. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 19 2016, 08:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello Gab!

I was wondering what you think of my first impressions of the Paradise Lost collab:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/gmc-paradise-lost-collab-my-take-rough-draft

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 20 2016, 02:16 PM
Instructor
I like the fact that your phrasing reminds me to Marylin Manson's Sweet Dream solo. Your phrasing is cool, I like how the solo evolves regarding rhythm and notes range.

I think that the note choices can be wiser. Mostly those notes in which you stay. try to analyse the notes compared with the chord sounding and see if there is a better option. It's a slow process but that's how we work on details.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 24 2016, 01:30 AM
Learning Roadie
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Apr 24 2016, 03:14 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 25 2016, 05:25 AM
Instructor
heheh that's killer mate! I like how the final production sounds! I think that the direction that you gave to the track is very fresh and unique. It's interesting to hear the evolution of this track, from the first draft to this mix. (maybe a thread showing the process can be very appreciated at the forum).

Congrats for another beautiful song. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 25 2016, 03:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab! Couldn't have done it without you biggrin.gif

Also: HUGE CONGRATS for landing a shout out in an article of Guitar World, I saw your post on Facebook cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 26 2016, 01:53 PM
Instructor
Thanks mate! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 29 2016, 03:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey man, I hope all is well with you!

Three pieces of news:

#1 I am an now an uncle smile.gif

Attached Image

#2 Forever will be airing on one of the areas local radio stations this Sunday for Locals Only!! So exciting biggrin.gif

#3 New idea in the works

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/invincible-idea

I want to work on making stronger solos and break out of a single position and utilize more of the fretboard.

So do I take the chords, and just solo around the thirds and just keep developing it from there?

Thanks mate!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Apr 30 2016, 04:13 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 30 2016, 11:02 PM
Instructor
All great news!! Congrats on becoming an uncle! I haven't been an uncle yet but my uncles have been very important in my life, and also in my relation with music. smile.gif

Also congrats on forever being played on radio! It's such a rewarding experience to hear our music on the radio. Enjoy it!

About using the whole fretboard for soloing... there are many tricks and exercises that you can do to avoid blind spots on guitar, here are some ideas:

- Practice scales horizontally. Learn and practice scales on 1 string, then on two and try to create phrases moving vertically. Your phrasing will become more melodic and close to a vocalist.

- Use triads to improvise to get out of the scale boxes. Using the same "horizontal" concept, create phrases moving through triads.

- Follow the chords with thirds. Start your phrasing just with 1 note over each chord (the third) and play this notes in different parts of the neck. Slowly add other notes from the scale to build the melodies.

- Create a phrase and play the same phrase with same notes in different parts of the fretboard. Play it everywhere you can.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 1 2016, 11:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab!

I will begin applying these techniques and try to develop my Paradise Lost take into a better composition smile.gif

PRODUCING QUESTION! tongue.gif

What techniques can I apply with a snare sample from Addictive Drums to achieve the snare sound you hear in the beginning of this song? Very explosive - I dig it!

ALSO:

I have started working on this lesson from the coolest dude on the block wink.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rise-A...-Hardcore-Punk/

Day one:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/gmc-rise-against-lesson-first-attempt

How do you think the tone is? I used a Treadplate 4x12 profile on my 11 Rack

The hardest thing I am struggling with is the all down-strokes after the intro, I started but I couldn't keep so I switched to alternate picking for the last half of it sad.gif

Thank you, friend!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 2 2016, 08:28 PM

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 3 2016, 07:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Alright, so I slowed it down to 90 bpm tongue.gif

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/riseagainst2

Not sure how close I am with my tone on this one...

It seems I can play the down strokes fine at 90 bpm, but once I go up to 100 bpm I am still having difficulties. I notice that when playing at the higher tempo my hand seems to tense up, and I catch the string on my way up (accidental upstroke).

I guess the only thing to do is to keep working at it, anything you want to add that you noticed?

Thanks smile.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 3 2016, 07:41 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2016, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, how are you? smile.gif

Regarding that amazing snare, I think that it's achieved with an aggressive reverb effect that gives a "delay" sensation. If you listen to that snare you'll hear a repeatition of the sound very close to the original, that's what is called "pre delay" which are the first reflections from the room. By default, this setting is usually set "Too close" to the original sound, sometimes in 0 mm, so you need to separate it, you need to experiment with higher values until you can hear it. Then, you have to turn it lower. From what I hear here, it could be a plate type reverb.

Rise against lesson obviously needs more work. It's a very fast lesson and you are not still comfortable playing down picking at this tempo. The tone is ok, I think that the amp is a good choice, however I would experiment more with EQ balance to make it sound closer to the original lesson. There is some mid stuff in your tone that isn't in the original, just experiment moving pots and see what happens.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 4 2016, 07:51 PM
Learning Roadie
I think you should just change the lesson so that it's alternate picking, instead tongue.gif

I will spend some time working on this and post an update in a few days.

smile.gif

And for the Paradise Lost collab:

Intro: (G5 - C5 -Eb5 - D) x2
Verse: (G5 - Eb5 D5 Bb5) x4

Since that is the part I will be playing over, am I breaking this down correctly:

Strong notes I want to solo with:

G5 - A note
C5 - E note
Eb5 - F# note
D and D5 - F note
Bb5 - C# note

Did I analyze this correctly?

Thanks

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 4 2016, 07:55 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 5 2016, 09:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ May 4 2016, 03:51 PM) *
I think you should just change the lesson so that it's alternate picking, instead tongue.gif

I will spend some time working on this and post an update in a few days.

smile.gif

haha my fault! the same feedback but replace the phrase "down picking" by "alternate picking riffing".

QUOTE (Chris S. @ May 4 2016, 03:51 PM) *
And for the Paradise Lost collab:

Intro: (G5 - C5 -Eb5 - D) x2
Verse: (G5 - Eb5 D5 Bb5) x4

Since that is the part I will be playing over, am I breaking this down correctly:

Strong notes I want to solo with:

G5 - A note
C5 - E note
Eb5 - F# note
D and D5 - F note
Bb5 - C# note

Did I analyze this correctly?

Thanks

I don't understand what you mean.. A is not a strong note over G5... the strong notes over it would be G - Ab - D because these are part of the chord...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 6 2016, 07:21 PM
Learning Roadie
According to the second video in the lesson I have to use down picking, as much as I want to just use alternate picking (but then it won't pass REC) rolleyes.gif

My apologies for the note choices, I made a mistake and figured the 3rds out as if all the chords were major which is not the case.

Here is my new analysis of the G Minor Scale:

G (minor) A (augmented?) A#/Bb (Major) C (minor) D (minor) D#/Eb (Major) F (Major)

so the thirds I would solo around would be:

G5 - G#/Ab (minor 3rd)

C5 - D#/Eb (minor 3rd)

Eb5 - G (Major 3rd)

D and D5 - F (minor 3rd)

Bb5 - D (Major 3rd)

Is this analysis correct, now?

Thanks smile.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 6 2016, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 8 2016, 05:51 PM
Instructor
yeah, it's correct now! Looking forward to hear your take.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 9 2016, 04:42 PM
Learning Roadie
So I am already confused tongue.gif

Ab is the strong third to play over the G5 - but it is not in the scale so I just used it as a passing tone:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/mytake2

I find it a lot harder to have to think about what I should be playing, instead of just playing - but I know I have to do this in order to make stronger solos.

ALSO:

New song in the works! smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/imperfections-rough-draft

It's just a rough draft but I was wondering what your first impressions are of it? smile.gif

It's going to be about how the world has this crazy obsession with beauty and perfection. Here's a sample of the lyrics I have written so far:

Lost between the TV screens and
Billboards calling out to me here's
What to say, and what to do
I should try to be more like you

Photoshop models in magazines
Brainwashing girls they need to be
So perfect, so perfect, don't you
See, you should try to be more like me

But we're all beautiful

[Still working on a chorus but the last line is:]

I'm happily content with my
Imperfections

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 9 2016, 07:53 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 10 2016, 12:46 AM
Instructor
Let's go again.. I'm re-checking what you've written and I'm confused with things like: G5 - G#/Ab (minor 3rd)

Here are the correct thirds:

G5: the third of this chord is Bb

D#5: the third is G

D5: the third is F#

A#: the third is D

Is it clearer now?

The new songs sounds interesting. I like each of the parts, the clean one, the second more rocker and finally the powerful "chorus"? It sounds powerful and it promises a catchy melody... the lyrics is also interesting. For any reason, one of the bands that come to mind is Sixx am, do you know them?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:55 AM