> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Socky42's Music Room, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2015, 02:51 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky! Welcome to your room for Gab's Army. Here you are invited to share your music in progress to let me follow your creations and give comments and feedback.

Feel free to post your original music, demos, covers, and also music from other artists that you like.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 1 2015, 04:44 PM
GMC:er
This is for the synthy video-game metal song I showed you, don't know why but I thought it'd be a good idea to rewrite this solo after months of work. laugh.gif

I can play everything nearly full speed except for 3 parts, the sweep and these two.

Originally I had this all picked, but I added in some slides to make it a bit easier to play. I can do it at 120bpm right now. I think this is playable at full speed but I can always rewrite it so it's less 'shred' and keep the 16th note rest theme going.

Does it even sound that good? It's gonna take A LOT of work for me to get this up to 150bpm and I don't really want to spend more than a week learning this. What do you think? Rewrite or try and learn it?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2015, 02:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, as I said previously, this idea is very cool. I'm checking the part that is giving problems and I can say that it's very tricky to play. I can't try it really well because I only have 22 frets on my guitar, but I can imagine that it's so tricky to play it. Honestly, I don't think that it makes sense to keep like this since it's not the best sounding part and it is not very natural to be played. I would re-write it to make it a bit more natural for guitarist's fingers, what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 3 2015, 12:41 AM
Well if you say it's tricky, I'll have no chance of playing it. laugh.gif I'll keep it as an exercise or something to work on for later. Changed it up so it's a bit more groove based.

Hopefully I can get this track done before the end of next week. Think it's time to start moving onto other projects.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2015, 08:13 PM
Instructor
Much easier now! and it still sounds good. Keeping the other as a technique exercise is a good idea. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 4 2015, 11:59 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/solo-test

Here's what I recorded. I'll probably redo the last bit, don't know how I want to end it yet. laugh.gif How's the mix sounding btw?

The bit where I jump from string to string with my index is a little tricky. My timing is a little bit off on that part right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 5 2015, 11:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, interesting stuff! This solo will be killer once you polish it.

I can notice some parts in the middle (around 00:15) that aren't played totally tight and clean, but you are very close, I think that you'll be able to polish it with some more practice. I still think that your phrasing composition is very unique and not very easy to master. But that's not negative, I consider it positive.

The mix is not bad but from my opinion it could be polished. The rhythm guitar and bass (are there both or is it a synth?) is not clear. I cannot hear it defined so you should find the right frequencies for both in the mix. I would also like more present drums, mostly the kick and snare, which are behind the effect (reverb) and is lacking aggression. Try adding more bass frequencies to both (50/70 hz for drums), (200 hz for snare) and see what happens. The whole drum track sounds over compressed, are you compressing it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 6 2015, 10:15 AM
All my mixes sound fine till I start adding lead guitar then it all falls apart from there.

I notice in a lot of my mixes the rhythm guitars tend to disappear, I'll see what I can do. And it's just a midi bass.
Yes the drums are compressed, i'm using a superior drummer preset. Maybe it's time to stop being so lazy with my drums. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 6 2015, 01:47 PM
Instructor
I agree and can hear everything you described here so let's go for it. Work on these details and share a new mix.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 8 2015, 01:38 AM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/solo-test

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/solo-mix-test-2

Bass drum and snare are definitely more present, rhythm a little bit clearer. Should probably mess around with the levels some more.

I was listening back to my Linkin Park - Numb cover and there's like 8 different things going on at some parts - quadtracked rhythm, lead, piano, synth etc; everything still comes through clearly and I have no idea how I did it. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Socky42: Apr 8 2015, 11:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 8 2015, 03:49 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, the mix test 2 needs adjustment. Now the drum and bass are more present but the lead guitar is not there, it's behind the mix. Try putting it louder on this new mix and see how it works.

Backing guitar are also a bit soft. When you turn up rhythm guitars, you'll have to make place for the lead guitar. One trick for this is to lower some frequencies between 1.5 and 3 KHZ where the lead guitar is more present to give place for it. This will allow you to turn rhythm guitar louder without affecting the lead guitar.

This is based on an important concept when mixing that is that every instrument needs its place in the frequency range, so you have to make place on other instrument for it. For example, Kick and Bass low frequencies are close, but in order to make each one clear you need to make place for them. how?

- Use a high pass filter on guitars to lower all frecuencies below 100 HZ.
- Kick bass frequencies are around 50/70 hz / Bass frequencies are around 75 / 100 HZ. Empathize the correct on each one and filter where you need place for the other instrument (for example: amphatize kick bass at 50 HZ, and lower some dbs around 80/100 to make place for the bass)

This should be done at every range of frequencies with every instrument so maybe you'll want to explore more about it HERE.

Another thing that will improve your mix is to humanize more your drums. Use velocity and quantizetricks to make the groove sound more real. For example, the ride sounds always exactly the same and it make it sound like a machine.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Apr 9 2015, 08:50 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/bridge-solo

Gonna take a break from mixing today, listen to it with a fresh set of ears later. Here's a bridge solo in the track, probably gonna change the ending depending on what the guest solo sounds like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 10 2015, 01:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, great job with this! I love how fresh your phrasing sound on this bridge. That repetitive slide sounds very "exotic" but tasty for me. I think that this is the kind of stuff that make you unique, keep on this way! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
May 18 2015, 08:29 PM

Hey man, been busy with exams. My other collab is pretty much finished just waiting on one last video. And I've started working on this one with Cosmin; Apologize by OneRepublic.

It's not mixed or anything and the guitars near the end are still midi, but might as well let you know what I'm up to. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 19 2015, 04:03 PM
Instructor
Interesting! I haven't seen this solo before and it's very cool, I like the overall structure and how he connects the different phrases. Cosmin is very talented!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
May 25 2015, 12:29 AM
I finished my other collab btw, you can find it here. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=54408

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-midi-demo

So I've started working on this a bit more, ends around Cosmin's solo. End result is going to have the same structure but with another solo section and chorus at the end of it. Still have to rework the vocal melody, so it's still just the original midi.

Do you think the main riff at 0:15 gets too repetitive? And in the clean part, does it sound okay when the piano and Cosmins solo enter? Or is it too sudden?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2015, 02:56 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, this sounds promising.

I didn't get the structure, is it a short song? or you will repeat parts for the final section. This 1:28 sounds cool for me, I don't feel there are too repetitive ideas or that the riff starts too early. However, if you are planning to repeat sections, I would re-arrange things to find differences between verse 1 and verse 2... does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
May 30 2015, 12:17 AM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-midi-demo

Here's the full structure of it, still trying to work out a good vocal line. Definitely gonna have to make some changes to fit in with the riff a bit more. But I think it'll turn out okay.

Trying my best to line the riffs up but it might take a bit more studio magic to make those rests at 0:25 sound natural. laugh.gif

Here's the original if you want to compare.

This post has been edited by Socky42: May 30 2015, 12:29 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 30 2015, 05:09 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Now I got it! I think that the re-version is turning amazing! The original tune has a very nice vocal melody, and our version turns everything much more powerful so I'm really anxious to hear the final version with the lead melody. Are you going to add vocals or other instrument for it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
May 30 2015, 07:15 PM
Hmm, I was thinking of just doing it on guitar again but I'll look around for a vocalist. Never actually had a vocalist in one of my videos before.

This post has been edited by Socky42: May 30 2015, 07:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:22 AM