Shhh, Leave Me Be, I'm Busy!, New arrival :)
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 6 2012, 09:46 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Just arrived, my new Blackstar Club 50 head and 4x12 cab:

Attached Image

I'll either go deaf or my wife will kill me, but either way I'll die happy smile.gif And after just 5 minutes messing around, I am closer than ever to the sound in my head!

Now I need to figure out the best way to record it so I can post clips!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Feb 6 2012, 09:52 PM
GMC:er
Nice! Congrats smile.gif

Saving up for an Blackstar amp too, thinking about Blackstar HT Stage 60 Venue Combo, but haven't decided which Blackstar amp yet tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 6 2012, 10:35 PM
Instructor
Congrats Andrew ,looks fantastic! Throw us some demo immediately biggrin.gif !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Frederik
Feb 6 2012, 10:36 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
You wont die from getting deaf wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 6 2012, 11:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 6 2012, 09:46 PM) *
I'll either go deaf or my wife will kill me, but either way I'll die happy smile.gif And after just 5 minutes messing around, I am closer than ever to the sound in my head!

Sweet, that Blackstar is a monster, lucky you! ohmy.gif Congrats smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blister
Feb 7 2012, 01:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Congrats Andrew! It looks gorgeous. I've looked at a some of the ht's on the net but haven't heard one yet. Looking forward to your review! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 7 2012, 03:18 AM
Learning Roadie
Oh yeah! You're in the Andy James league now. tongue.gif I never played on a Blackstar, but it's always great to be closer to the tone you want. I'm glad you are having success.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2012, 04:03 AM
Nice! Looks pretty darn spiff I must say!

When recording a beast like that, I'd humbly suggest a death metal approach smile.gif SM57 Center cone off set 45 degrees to enhance bass response. Secondary mic in the room if possible for mixing in reflections. But heck, stick as many mics as you've got on it, and blend them and pan them across the range L to R and it'll sound HAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGE.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 6 2012, 03:46 PM) *

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 7 2012, 09:29 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 7 2012, 03:03 AM) *
When recording a beast like that, I'd humbly suggest a death metal approach smile.gif SM57 Center cone off set 45 degrees to enhance bass response. Secondary mic in the room if possible for mixing in reflections. But heck, stick as many mics as you've got on it, and blend them and pan them across the range L to R and it'll sound HAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGE.

Use the Haas effect, also point the SM as Todd says but maybe towards the point where the cone and dome meet and cover the same position with another SM57 but pointing straight at the position. But I'm sure you know how to get a good mic'ed sound anyway.

Anyway, gratz Andrew cool.gif .

When you say you might go deaf - amp to loud or is it from your wife complaining?

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2012, 09:49 AM
Instructor
If I had that one, I'd kill all the neighbors on a range of 2-3 streets at least biggrin.gif cograts Andrew!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 7 2012, 11:17 AM
Instructor
Wowy, congratulations Andrew, that thing is a beast man smile.gif

On the topic, it's a coincidence that I just played this very amp two weeks ago in one new studio that opened up. It's a modern voiced amp with somewhat scooped mids. I would recommend trying it with tubescreamer in front to increase definition and mids a bit, and trying it on another cab as well. It's a very powerful head and cab, with plenty of bass, and it sounds excellent dry, on it's own. Lot's of sounds available definitely.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Feb 7 2012, 11:17 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 7 2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor
That looks cool as hell ! cool.gif

Definitely wanna hear some samples of that beast !

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 7 2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys!

Still getting to know this beauty, but its awesome!

Sparkling cleans - check!
Monster gain but still articulated and tight - check!
Freakin loud - check!

It does sound surprisingly good with the master dialed all the way back though. I havent tried the emulated out for recording yet but I will soon.

Still working on dialing in a lower gain saturated lead, and a nice warm overdriven sound for my Strrat, but wow, this thing is versatile!

Only issue so far is that the footswitch is labeled backwards - the reverb switch changes channels and the channel switch turns the reverb on an off! Going to have a word with Sweetwater about it when they wake up.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 7 2012, 03:16 PM
Instructor
Wou! It looks great! Congrats Andrew! I've never used on of this ones, even I have never seen one in Argentina so can't wait to hear it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 7 2012, 03:37 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 6 2012, 10:03 PM) *
Nice! Looks pretty darn spiff I must say!

LOL, thanks for the suggestions - I have an SM57 ready to go smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 7 2012, 03:29 AM) *
Use the Haas effect, also point the SM as Todd says but maybe towards the point where the cone and dome meet and cover the same position with another SM57 but pointing straight at the position. But I'm sure you know how to get a good mic'ed sound anyway.

Anyway, gratz Andrew cool.gif .

When you say you might go deaf - amp to loud or is it from your wife complaining?

Thanks - I'll need to get another SM57 then, obviously smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 7 2012, 05:17 AM) *
Wowy, congratulations Andrew, that thing is a beast man smile.gif

On the topic, it's a coincidence that I just played this very amp two weeks ago in one new studio that opened up. It's a modern voiced amp with somewhat scooped mids. I would recommend trying it with tubescreamer in front to increase definition and mids a bit, and trying it on another cab as well. It's a very powerful head and cab, with plenty of bass, and it sounds excellent dry, on it's own. Lot's of sounds available definitely.

With this much gain I didn't think I would need a TubeScreamer, but now you mentioned it I will definitely try it!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 7 2012, 04:02 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Wow, I wish....

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Feb 7 2012, 04:14 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 7 2012, 10:37 AM) *
With this much gain I didn't think I would need a TubeScreamer, but now you mentioned it I will definitely try it!

I said the same thing when I bought my Mesa too! But I did end up buying a TubeScreamer, it doesn't really add gain.
I have mine set to Drive: 7 o'clock , Tone: 12 o'clock , Level: 5 o'clock. So it really doesn't add much over all.
I also have most of my amp set to noon to try and give it a show of the difference in sound. I think it just brings an
added tightness to the sound. But for the bluesy pushed sound it does well also.

http://snd.sc/AwmHOH

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 7 2012, 04:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 6 2012, 08:46 PM) *

Attached Image

Nice one!!! Congarts on your new amp!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:03 PM