Picking Technique....what To Do?
mhskeide
Dec 17 2008, 08:08 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi there

Since I`ve joined GMC after playing for three years, I`ve finally found out the excact definition of alternate picking and economy picking(didn`t even have an Idea what it was, but now I even understand the name tongue.gif )

After this revelation, I`ve concluded that my own picking technique consists of a hybrid between the two, I just play what falls naturally (which surprisingly often is economy).

Finally, I present my question: I see so many lessons about them here, and wonder if it`s such a big deal on how you play it..? blink.gif

This techniques are usually used in solo runs and such, so if I use up- or downstroke on a 1/16 note, the differance in sound is not present for me at all. And if I`m supposed to begin thinking in the middle of a solo about how to pick, the solo is destined to be ruined ohmy.gif

So I wondered if people would tell me their experiences and opinions about playing strictly one of them or the sound of them etc.(you get the picture)

Cheers:)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mhskeide
Dec 17 2008, 09:15 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
thanks for your answers!
I`ve actually read on some forums that AP is a little more aggressive sounding if executed properly. And I can definitely notice that EP is a lot smoother, pretty selfexplanatory since the right hand has a easier movement.

I guess my main problem is that I find it to boring to practise at only one type of picking tongue.gif

I`ll think I postpone it to a time when I`m not so stressed about the school and the band and such, since it`s as mentioned not an extremely important thing to take care of temporarily smile.gif

Just as an off-the-topic quest. Is it lazy off me, having played inn almost 4 years (starting to feel a little good as well:) and almost not read any theory? Of course I know the basics of the scales and the modes and so, but no much after that blink.gif
I`m considering spending at least 10-20 minutes each day reading theory from now on, starting out with Andrews great theory guide!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:10 PM