Background Noise, Getting rid of background noise
Hajduk
Feb 12 2014, 07:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
I notice when I do Rec takes that there is a lot of background noise from Amp. I put the noise gate on and still seem to have lots of noise!!! I realize my pedal is not the greatest but any suggestions would be awesome. I use a zoom G2.1NU.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 12 2014, 07:45 PM
GMC:er
Sharing a recording of the noise usually helps?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 12 2014, 08:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 12 2014, 07:45 PM) *
Sharing a recording of the noise usually helps?

yes, as well as cutting out all parts while you are not playing
and if it is while you play, you might not be playing your part strong enough, this could get lengthy, better shoot us a take

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Feb 12 2014, 08:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks all, I guess my last Rec take I just did is the best example of the noise.( odd grooves) I don't expect it to sound amazing just using amp, pedal and camera to record. Im pretty sure a lot of it is technique as well, learning to mute other strings.

This post has been edited by Hajduk: Feb 12 2014, 08:46 PM

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 12 2014, 09:34 PM
Instructor
What is Your signal chain? Do You use the distortion from Zoom or from the amp. What channel is turned on at Your amp?

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 12 2014, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Feb 12 2014, 07:41 PM) *
Thanks all, I guess my last Rec take I just did is the best example of the noise.( odd grooves) I don't expect it to sound amazing just using amp, pedal and camera to record. Im pretty sure a lot of it is technique as well, learning to mute other strings.

I listened the take and could barely hear a hiss right at the end of the recording, is that what you wrote about?

If yes it might be the preamp of the mic, might be fed too much gain. Either you must increase the amp volume (and decrease preamp gain)or you need a condencer (or the preamps are poor quality).

But I must say the example recording isn't helpful enough, just a simply recording of you play a note then stay silent for a short while would make it easier.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 12 2014, 11:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Feb 12 2014, 11:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
I use the distortion from the pedal ( Zoom). I should use the amp distortion actually has a good sound. I believe that its channel one. This area in general as far as signal chains and channels I plan on learning lots more about I really lack knowledge in that area. There is a course that I have been procrastinating on taking from a music store that teaches you all about recording and sound engineering, I plan on actually taking it in March.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 12 2014, 10:20 PM) *
I listened the take and could barely hear a hiss right at the end of the recording, is that what you wrote about?

If yes it might be the preamp of the mic, might be fed too much gain. Either you must increase the amp volume (and decrease preamp gain)or you need a condencer (or the preamps are poor quality).

But I must say the example recording isn't helpful enough, just a simply recording of you play a note then stay silent for a short while would make it easier.

Thanks Mertay, I will do that!

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 13 2014, 01:41 AM
You're welcome smile.gif

Also to be honest I'm not sure if you need a course since you're here already, I mean the teachers and some members are pretty experienced. One other think I can advise is coursera programs, made a quick search there;

https://www.coursera.org/course/audiomusicengpart1

https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

I only (partly) watched the songwriting course, it was good but I didn't continue regularly so I downloaded all the videos and hopefully watch someday biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 13 2014, 07:34 AM
You may need a better noise gate and perhaps you have your chain setup incorrectly? So here's what to try.... smile.gif

1.)Post a picture of your setup so we can see your effects chain smile.gif

2.)Post a recording audio or video of the noise you are talking about so we can get a better idea of what is going on.

Then everybody can pitch in smile.gif

Off the top of my head, I'd say try to our your noise gate before your other pedals. Also, when you are not playing, turn down your volume on the guitar. If you have a cheap combo amp it's probably a bit noisy by itself. If you happen to be using single coil pickups, then your just begging for noise. But alas no pix so I"m just guessing ohmy.gif)

As far as noise gates go, I've tried every pedal I"ve ever heard/seen/read about and returned all except one. THE MXR SMARTGATE. Of course this usually starts a flame war as folks chime in to share their fav gate which is fine too as everyone has experience that's worth sharing. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Feb 12 2014, 01:42 PM) *
I notice when I do Rec takes that there is a lot of background noise from Amp. I put the noise gate on and still seem to have lots of noise!!! I realize my pedal is not the greatest but any suggestions would be awesome. I use a zoom G2.1NU.

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 13 2014, 08:59 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
one thing to add .. try to reduce gain or distortion to the minimum of what you really need.

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Feb 13 2014, 10:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you all Mertay, Todd and wrk. Honestly I think its just the Pedal setting, I only use one pedal the zoom G2.1NU and the Amp is a Blackstar HT-5. I dont think the pedal is that great, has a built in setting for noise gate.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 13 2014, 10:39 AM
Instructor
For me all personally pedal distortion never work the way I like. Most of those have usually more compression and acts different then the amp in case of dynamics. HT5 is a very good piece of gear. Being in Your shoes I would go for amp natural distortion and try to find the less necessary gain level. I know the more gain there is, the easier playing becomes but if You want to challenge Yourself go for less gain. It will demand more precission from Your playing. The profits? More dynamics, more natural tone, better skills if practiced this way, less noise.

BTW. Make sure no electric device is a cause of the noise. Distance from the LCD and any kind of transformers is one one the factors that change noise level. There might be some other. For example....when I turn on my video lights I have an additional noise...unfortunately...

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 14 2014, 09:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 13 2014, 09:39 AM) *
For me all personally pedal distortion never work the way I like. Most of those have usually more compression and acts different then the amp in case of dynamics. HT5 is a very good piece of gear. Being in Your shoes I would go for amp natural distortion and try to find the less necessary gain level. I know the more gain there is, the easier playing becomes but if You want to challenge Yourself go for less gain. It will demand more precission from Your playing. The profits? More dynamics, more natural tone, better skills if practiced this way, less noise.

BTW. Make sure no electric device is a cause of the noise. Distance from the LCD and any kind of transformers is one one the factors that change noise level. There might be some other. For example....when I turn on my video lights I have an additional noise...unfortunately...

Best choice - I'm with Darius here. The HT5 is by far a nice piece of gear and using that Zoom is like tainting it biggrin.gif Don't mind me, I'm just being silly here, but if I were you, I'd sell it and get a few pedals to go with the HT 5. A noisegate, an overdrive which you can use as a booster, a reverb and a delay. That's basically all you need smile.gif Now, mind you that this is my perspective - I am being a very minimalist kind of guy and I hate all sorts of 'airplanes' - effects I don't need, which abound in every multiFX unit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:15 AM