3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
A Slightly Better Top 50 Guitarist List
mattacuk
May 23 2008, 05:53 PM
Lets go fishing!
Its definatly alot better for sure! biggrin.gif

It dosent really indentify what kinda of poll it is though. I mean Jimi hendrix was probably a musical genius yes, but he was hardly in the same leauge technically as some of todays players. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 23 2008, 05:58 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mattacuk @ May 23 2008, 05:53 PM) *
Its definatly alot better for sure! biggrin.gif

It dosent really indentify what kinda of poll it is though. I mean Jimi hendrix was probably a musical genius yes, but he was hardly in the same leauge technically as some of todays players. smile.gif

It's impossible because back then Jim Hendrix was easily one of the best guitarists alive if not the best and he did it all. But now Paul Gilbert and people blow him away technically but this long on from that. Does that mean Jimi Hendrix isn't as good because in this day he wouldn't be near the best? I think he is one of the best as he invented lots on guitar.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
chmilew
May 23 2008, 06:07 PM
Who is Denis "Piggy" D'Amour ?

Never heard of that guy before !

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 23 2008, 06:08 PM
He was the guitarist for Voivod. But he died of cancer sad.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Pizzoaro
May 28 2008, 08:54 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 20 2008, 10:29 AM) *
Ok so this is voted for by many big bands from the metal and rock genre. It is much better than the Rolling Stone List. I got this list from Blabbermouth.net and it is appearing in the new issue of Roadie Crew (#112) (http://www.roadiecrew.net)

01. Jimi Hendrix
02. Eddie Van Halen
03. Yngwie J. Malmsteen
04. Randy Rhoads
05. Ritchie Blackmore
06. Jimmy Page
07. Tony Iommi
08. Steve Vai
09. Jeff Beck
10. Michael Schenker
11. David Gilmour
12. Dimebag Darrell
13. Allan Holdsworth
14. Uli Jon Roth
15. Angus Young
16. James Hetfield
17. Brian May
18. Marty Friedman
19. Joe Satriani
20. Jason Becker
21. Gary Moore
22. Paul Gilbert
23. Eric Clapton
24. Al Di Meola
25. Zakk Wylde
26. John McLaughlin
27. John Petrucci
28. Adrian Smith
29. Steve Morse
30. Stevie Ray Vaughan
31. Slash
32. Kirk Hammett
33. Robert Fripp
34. Alex Lifeson
35. Chuck Schuldiner
36. Ace Frehley
37. George Lynch
38. Dave Murray
39. Glenn Tipton
40. Neal Schon
41. Eric Johnson
42. Trey Azagthoth
43. K.K. Downing
44. Andy LaRocque
45. Malcolm Young
46. Django Reinhardt
47. Jeff Loomis
48. Steve Lukather
49. John Sykes
50. Denis "Piggy" D'Amour

Current and former members of the following bands participated in the poll:

ANGRA
ANTHRAX
ARCH ENEMY
AT THE GATES
AYREON
BEHEMOTH
BLUE CHEER
BLUE ÖYSTER CULT
CACOPHONY
CARCASS
CELTIC FROST
CHILDREN OF BODOM
DARK TRANQUILLITY
DIO
DOWN
DR. SIN
EXODUS
FAITH NO MORE
FATES WARNING
FOCUS
GAMMA RAY
GENESIS
GIRLSCHOOL
GUNS N' ROSES
HALFORD
HEART
HELLOWEEN
KAMELOT
KING DIAMOND
KING'S X
KISS
KREATOR
LIVING COLOUR
MACHINE HEAD
MANOWAR
MARILLION
MEGADETH
MERCYFUL FATE
MICK JAGGER
MINISTRY
NAZARETH
NIGHTWISH
NILE
OPETH
PARADISE LOST
SAVATAGE
SCORPIONS
SEBASTIAN BACH
SEPULTURA
SIR LORD BALTIMORE
SOULFLY
STRATOVARIUS
SYMPHONY X
TEN YEARS AFTER
TESTAMENT
TOTO
TRIUMPH
TWISTED SISTER
URIAH HEEP
YES

I think u forgot Nevermore... The band that jeff loomis plays in.. tongue.gif

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 28 2008, 09:08 AM
QUOTE (Pizzoaro @ May 28 2008, 08:54 AM) *
I think u forgot Nevermore... The band that jeff loomis plays in.. tongue.gif

No. The bands at the bottom are the bands that voted. Nevermore weren't asked for there top guitarists. They were good enough to be nominated by other bands though smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 28 2008, 06:09 PM
Instructor
I don't know, this list sounds like a joke to me too! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 28 2008, 11:05 PM
I think these lists are a waste of time. What criteria does one use for a top 50 list? Is it based on innovation, popularity, most accessible music, ability, hit songs...what? For instance, there's about 12 guys above Allan Holdsworth that, while good, and some of my personal favorites, are not the player that Holdsworth is...no way! As a matter of fact, Allan Holdsworth is regarded by most, if not all of the world's top players, to be THE MAN! So, what defines the worlds' top players, and in what particular order? Where's Guthrie Govan? Eric Johnson in 41st place? I don't think so! And these are not just the opinions of a pinhead like me. I can tell you right now that the truly best players around will put Allan, Guthrie, and Eric at the top. So, I guess some of it has to do with who made the largest impact, rather than who is truly the best. That's why I don't pay too much attention to these lists...

+Quote Post
Gus
May 30 2008, 01:01 AM
QUOTE (berko @ May 20 2008, 02:35 PM) *
This list is much more pleasant, however, i would be delighted if someone could explain to me the keyword of this whole business: "best".

Why not in alphabetical order?

Totally agreed. I actually posted a very similar opinion a few "list topic"s ago...

Any list named "best" is about favorite guitarists. To some are the most impressive, to others the one you like the songs the most... Take Allan Holdsworth. I understand the importance he has, but I never liked anything I heard from him (this can change of course). So even if I try very hard, I would never place him anywhere better 50th...

I would like to see a list 100 great guitarists. (just great, not greatest tongue.gif ) In alphabetical order, mentioning three songs for each and explaining what they had of unique or interesting...

This post has been edited by Gus: May 30 2008, 01:02 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 30 2008, 01:19 AM
QUOTE (Gus @ May 30 2008, 01:01 AM) *
Totally agreed. I actually posted a very similar opinion a few "list topic"s ago...

Any list named "best" is about favorite guitarists. To some are the most impressive, to others the one you like the songs the most... Take Allan Holdsworth. I understand the importance he has, but I never liked anything I heard from him (this can change of course). So even if I try very hard, I would never place him anywhere better 50th...

I would like to see a list 100 great guitarists. (just great, not greatest tongue.gif ) In alphabetical order, mentioning three songs for each and explaining what they had of unique or interesting...

Gus, not to nitpick, but the list should then be called, Top 50 Favorite Guitarists...that would actually make more sense.

+Quote Post
dogman
May 30 2008, 02:05 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ May 20 2008, 06:36 AM) *
So Ozzy wrote some amazing, and popular songs, so Randy HAS to be near the top, when he wasn't even that great.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Even though I found the list filled with many more than worthy guitar players, the order is very wrong in my opinion.

Opinion is taste.

Even though my favorite guitar player is Alex Lifeson and I think he should be in the top 10, Randy Rhoads deserves credit for writing all the songs for Blizzard & Diary with Bob Daisley. Ozzy did not write any of those songs other than add vocal melodies.

at 14 years old I had the opportunity of a life time when I saw Randy Rhoads live from the 2nd row in a 4,000 seat theater in Rhode Island on August 7th 1981. Let me tell you, to sit there and watch him play not more than 20 feet away was not only incredible, it was mind blowing to watch him.

At 24 years old he wrote 2 of the greatest albums of all time in 1 year with a small european tour inbetween.

Had he not died on March 19th 1982, Eddie Van Halen would have been clearly overshadowed by Rhoads as he pioneered american heavy metal and never lived to see what he inspired by adding classical influences to heavy metal that just about every guitar player of the 80's tried to copy

Just some facts mixed with my opinion.

which is only worth 2 cents wink.gif

+Quote Post
Oxac
Jun 4 2008, 10:30 PM
how did paul gilbert go below angus young?

Eric Johnson below hetfield, Ace Frehley etc. Stevie ray vaughan below hetfield etc....

Bad list. The best list is made of one's own opinions, and frankly enough, I know that on my list, I will be the 1. Not today, not in 5 years, but someday.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:33 AM