Disappointing Concerts, Festivals more often prone to sub par shows
ItSME3
Jul 17 2012, 11:32 AM
GMC:er
Sometimes concerts leave you unsatisfied and if you paid big bucks for it, you may go home annoyed. I should learn form experience but somehow always make the same mistakes. Never go to übercommercial jazz festival concerts. I listen to all types of music form progressive metal to classic with focus on indie/alternative stuff and jazz. I've seen hundreds of great club concerts and been to huge festivals all over the world. Every time I went to a jazz festival it sucked (including Montreux). It's always boring (not because you are too sober, as opposed at nice rock festivals) and the focus on mainstream (for commercial reasons) leads to often sub par experiences by overly saturated mainstays of the scene. Anyway, you get what you ask for. I've been to the George Benson and Larry Carlton shows at the Stuttgart Jazz festival recently. Benson (as always) bored the hell out of me with his radio pop songs but also played some electrifying funky stuff. As expected the evening was fun despite the shameful synth-pop downfalls. Carlton however was a somewhat disappointing experience. I really dig the guys playing and saw a great concert with the Sapphire Blues Band but this quartet concert in Stuttgart was really not good. The rain came halfway into the set, so thats one problem and we left shortly after, because we were wet and freezing, but even before, it was just such an uninspired experience. Anyway, this mostly only happened to me on festivals (rarely on rock but often on jazz festivals) and I think it is because of the festival experience for the artist themselves. On rock festivals bands at least have some fun (sometimes too much and fall of the stage) so even if there might be some stress involved for the bands, the vibe is right and the connection to the crowd works. On jazz festivals (at least the larger ones) artist often just seem annoyed. This shows on stage.

What is your experience with festivals. Do you like club gigs better ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ItSME3: Jul 17 2012, 11:39 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:15 PM