> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 108 109 110 111 112 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 24 2019, 04:02 PM
Instructor
Ok! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 24 2019, 09:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Not rhythm but came across this looking for some isolated guitar tracks. Couldn't find any slow blues ones.

Out of interest, is there a set format for the amount of bars each of the i iv v chords are played for within the 12 bars?

This is an interest guitar track, hopefully it will give me some ideas.

https://youtu.be/VqZtLx-8eBg

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 27 2019, 08:45 AM
Instructor
There are different variations for the 12 bars blues. But the most common is:

I IV I I

IV IV I I

V IV I I

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 27 2019, 09:48 AM
Hmmmmm, thanks Gab,

I meant, how many bars is each chord played, for instance, ix1 ivx1 ix2 ivx2 vx1 etc. Is it always the same format? Reading your reply though, apart from the format, it looks like I iv v isn't common, I thought it was the most common,need to do some research.

Enjoy California buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 27 2019, 04:16 PM
Instructor
Thanks mate!!

I’m writing the quantum of bars there. Every time I write I, IV or V means a bar of this chord.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 27 2019, 05:21 PM
Got it, A D A A D D A A E D A A wink.gif I just couldn't see it.

I'm working on a backing track with no drums. Been working 12+ hour days so not had much time but calming down a little bit now.

Cheers.

Let me know when you're back from Cali, I won't ask anything while you're on holiday.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 27 2019, 09:09 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2019, 08:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 27 2019, 01:21 PM) *
Got it, A D A A D D A A E D A A wink.gif I just couldn't see it.

I'm working on a backing track with no drums. Been working 12+ hour days so not had much time but calming down a little bit now.

Cheers.

Let me know when you're back from Cali, I won't ask anything while you're on holiday.

Exactly! Feel free to ask mate! I’m a bit slower until November 5th but I'll answer.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 29 2019, 01:53 PM
Cheers buddy, I've tried loads of slow twelve bar chord strumming but it's monotonous and completely uninspiring, sounds more like a folk camp fire tune, recorded about ten but couldn't play over them.

Last night I just played the roots using the bass sim in TH-U in a 1,2,3,4& pattern for about an hour, it seemed like it was starting to internalise the pattern and I found it very calming, almost hypnotic. I might record it and improvise over it but without the arpeggio shadow, just the major and minor pent and the blues scale. What do you think?

Cheers

UPDATE:

Mr Bumblefoot was right, this is tricky. I think I need much more rhythm practise, do you agree? Is there any point in my improvising over anything like this with the beat being "off"? I think I should try to find a guitar only backing for improv but still practise this every day. I'm way way ahead of the beat at times. I still enjoyed the challenge though wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/phil-backing-a-minor-bass-only

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 29 2019, 10:04 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 30 2019, 05:13 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! That’s a great timing exercise. There are some moments in which you go well but there are many parts that aren’t tight. I think that adding this one and other similar exercises can have a big impact in your playing.

About your question, yes, it’s a good plan to practice improvisation over this one.

However, if you are getting bored of slow blues, we can look for other ideas.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 30 2019, 07:31 PM
Thanks Gab,

I wondered if I should improvise over my track because the timing is poor.

I think I'll do 48 bars every night like that which hopefully will do two things, improve timing and internalise the standard twelve bar chord change times.

Bored is probably the wrong word Gab, I think I've exhausted my creative juices with slow blues mainly due to lack of a large lick library.

I really want to stick with blues and blues/classic rock.and I will carry on with the dominant 7 choir progression as that is still sloppy, but how about some 12 bar stuff with that dumpa dumpa rhythm like the video below? I don't know what it's called but Status Quo use it a lot and a lot of rock n roll.

https://youtu.be/O8hqGu-leFc

Another bass session for timing. You don't have to listen to it while you're on holiday, it's just here for record of progress wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/phil-backing-a-minor-bass-30102019

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 30 2019, 10:08 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 1 2019, 10:08 PM
Update to the above:

I know this isn't the dumpa dumpa thing I was talking about but I do like it, I think I'd like to give it a try, what are your thoughts?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/SRV-Chordal-Licks/

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 3 2019, 06:41 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! how are you?

That SRV lesson is really cool!! I like it. It’s not easy but it’s good to incorporate some riffs and licks.

Have you ever worked on this one?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/30-Beg...er-Blues-Riffs/

On a side note, I don’t think that it’s a good idea to improvise over your track if it’s not tight.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2019, 07:25 PM
Hello Gab,

That's a most unusual greeting from you, "Hi Phil! How are you?" apart from the "Hi" its very "Queen's English" smile.gif I'm fine thank you Gab, how are you? cool.gif

I hope you understand what I meant below, I'm assuming you did because of the lesson you suggested.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 30 2019, 07:31 PM) *
Bored is probably the wrong word Gab, I think I've exhausted my creative juices with slow blues mainly due to lack of a large lick library.

I really want to stick with blues and blues/classic rock.and I will carry on with the dominant 7 choir progression as that is still sloppy, but how about some 12 bar stuff with that dumpa dumpa rhythm like the video below? I don't know what it's called but Status Quo use it a lot and a lot of rock n roll.

I think that Chris Harrison lesson is just what I need, I'll start working on it, looks like it will take a long time but at the same time will help get used to the rhythm of 12 bar. Thank you

I'll update my practise folder, if you could check it please to see if you agree with my schedule. (Link to current practise is above my badges in my sig wink.gif )

I'm still going to try improvising and playing the dominant 7 chords and hopefully that will improve as I learn more licks, I'll also do 36-48 twelve bar bass lines to try and tighten up my timing.

Cheers and enjoy your last few days in CA, did you get to meet with our Ken or Steve Fister?

Speak soon

Phil

UPDATE:
I've worked my way up to bar 12 in the 30 licks video, not full speed but memorizing it wink.gif I'm really enjoying it, it's got a bit of the "dumpa dumpa" thing (bars 8-9) too which is always good wink.gif

I've sent you a PM, please read, I don't know if you saw the one I sent earlier in the week so have a look at that too wink.gif

I'll send one of these bass rhythm things once a week wink.gif
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/phil-backing-a-minor-bass-03112019

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 4 2019, 09:17 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 5 2019, 05:34 PM
Instructor
Hello Phil! I'm doing well, thanks for asking! biggrin.gif

I'm back! Thanks for your update. It's nice to see that you are already working on the 30 blues riffs lesson. It's perfect for you!

I'm listening to the new take and I can hear very important timing improvements. You are going a lot tighter than the previous take. That's awesome mate, congrats!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 5 2019, 09:47 PM
Thanks Gab,

You certainly looked like you had a great time. I'm glad you can hear improvements in my timing smile.gif

Regarding the 30 blues riffs, I'd like to eventually post it to REC but bar 12 in GP5 and TAB is different in the main video and the section 5 part.

If you watch the 30 Beginner blues riffs video, section 5 (riff 3) from the 1:30 point, Chris says that he plays two open E notes for each bass note and it looks like this to me (see tab below). Problem is, it's different in the main video. I'm learning this for REC so I'm not sure how to go about it because you, Kris, Todd, and Darius will probably only watch the main video.

I know I don't need to put it into REC as it is for me to build my lick library but if I put the work in to get to the end of this one I'd like to post it wink.gif

|-------0--0--0--0--0--0--0--|
|----------------------------|
|--2----0--------------------|
|-------------4-----3-----2--|

Chris is looking into it at the moment, I'll continue to learn it the way I've tabbed it as I like that more than the version in the main video.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 5 2019, 09:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 6 2019, 02:47 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I can see that he plays it like it's tabbed in the main video so it seems that the slow video has this simple variation. You can go for the tabbed version and take the slow video explanation as a cool variation.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 6 2019, 09:30 PM
Thanks buddy. I'm on it.

Little question. Am I correct in thinking that in the TAB and GP file, the indicated bar 1 isn't the true bar one but the count in bar? So that the the last of the de der de de lands on beat 1 of bar 1 and beat 1 of bar 2 etc? AC/DC seem to do this a lot if I'm correct in my thinking.

Cheers

smile.gif

UPDATE:

Learning the 30 riffs at max bpm of 50%. Currently working on the SRV swing type section with the strummed open strings. Chris has a great tip to just practise upstroking the EBG and damping with the left hand to get that part right and then try to add the bass line. It's a real struggle at first but I'm going to earn it wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 8 2019, 08:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2019, 03:44 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Great! Thanks for the update.

I don't understand your question about tabs.... sad.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 8 2019, 04:01 PM
Do you mean the question about the 1st bar?

In the TAB and GP5 for this lesson, I think that the bar that is "Bar 1" is actually a count in bar and that the notes are grace notes in the bar that is displayed as "1".

The only reason I think this is that the turnaround ends on bar 13 and it's a 12 bar piece.

I hope this makes sense. When I'm home this evening I can try to make a visual to explain if I'm not being clear.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2019, 04:20 PM
Instructor
No, that's called Anacrusis: In music, an anacrusis (also known as a pickup, or fractional pick-up) is a note or sequence of notes, a motif, which precedes the first downbeat in a bar in a musical phrase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacrusis

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 108 109 110 111 112 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:33 PM