2 Pages V   1 2 >  
The "dreaded" Playing In Front Of Others (for A Beginner )
montecristo
Jul 1 2008, 06:07 PM
GMC:er
Hey everyone,

To start off, I am at the beginner level....I would rate myself as level 3 here at GMC. When I am by myself, I can keep myself busy for an hour practicing and all.. However, the minute people are over, whether its friends or neighbours or whatever, i seem to freeze up. My mind goes blank, I have nothing to play, and the things that I do play, I am slow and hesititant..I become very shy. rolleyes.gif

Any suggestions on how to overcome this, because it is frustrating. I want to be able to play somewhat beautiful music without pressure in front of others.. thanks for any help!

Oh yeah, the same can be said about singing. By myself, I can sing worry free. The moment I know someone can hear me, again, I freeze up huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Jul 1 2008, 06:22 PM
I don't have this problem, but what I do is imagine myself alone. I
try not to look at the people. Eventually you will get a little more comfortable.

If you mess, just play through. Tell you're not so great, or something like
that, and hopefully they'll understand. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
Jul 1 2008, 06:51 PM
There is a bulletproof way to overcome this. Play in front of people as MUCH as possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 1 2008, 07:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
How many songs you know how to play ?
This is a common issue..Best way is to learn and think of what songs and stuff you would play for home audience and practice it a little..Then next time you will know what to play..About being nervous , try to relax and don't put pressure on yourself..You don't need to play it perfect..But music is meant to be heard so I'm sure you will get over the problem after being more self confident (as a guitar player too)...

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jul 1 2008, 07:03 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Jul 1 2008, 07:12 PM
QUOTE (Jenkinson @ Jul 1 2008, 07:51 PM) *
There is a bulletproof way to overcome this. Play in front of people as MUCH as possible.

thats the thruth. I had the same problem, and the only way to overcome it is to just simply perform infront of people. I think the reason why we have this problem is because we have so HIGH expectations from our selves - at least i do.
When you've played infront of an audience a few times (it could be the same people all the time) You learn that one or two mistakes are not that big of a deal.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jul 1 2008, 07:14 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
think about the people you are playing in front of, especially in "home" situations, so you know them well, do they play themselves? most of my friends that pull the "go on then, play us something" dont play at all, so the easiest of tunes (provided its one they know) usually does the trick.

once you`ve been playing a while you`ll build up a library of songs that you`ll be able to pull out of the bag when needed, but as others have said before, the more you do it, the easier it`ll become smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jul 1 2008, 07:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Booze...

Nah, just kidding. I am a beginner and I have the same problem. Even infront of my own brother who doesnt play at all I can't seem to relax. But as skill increases it gets easier. Choose a song you know really well so that even if you play it worse than usual, it is still good smile.gif I noticed this by looking at a live performance (my first) I recorded on video. I was so nervous I couldnt even feel my fingers and the only way I could know if I played the song right was by listening to myself in my amp smile.gif The shaking fingers gave a nice vibrato tho, haha. I knew the song well and we had rehearsed it a lot. We chose to start with the song we all felt most comfortable with just because if we got nervous we should be able to rely on it going by itself. And listening to the recording it actually worked. I knew the song so well my fingers didnt care so much that I was nervous and did the job by itself.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the more you practice the less you will be affected by nerves. You may still be nervous but it will have less effect on your playing.

How to get less nervous I can't give you much advice on though, but I found that atleast playing to my brother gets easier and easier every time I do it smile.gif The only person I feel totally comfortable playing with is my wife smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 1 2008, 08:47 PM
Instructor
Don't worry man it is very normal, just be yourself, play anything, and be relaxed. You don't have to play perfect for the audience, audience like to be entertained, so a couple of happy chords for a small group of people always works.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 1 2008, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I have the exact same problem i cant play when others are watching me

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 2 2008, 12:01 AM
One way of breaking the barrier is joining a band with gigs.

Or attending guitar school sessions where everyone is in the same boat.

I discovered many years ago that a great way of beginning to sing and play in front of people was to go busking! biggrin.gif

Put on your sunglasses and grab your guitar and a handfull of songs and hit the streets! cool.gif

If you choose a busy hour, people won't have the time to stop, gather and glare at you.

Anyway, I find it easier to play in front of strangers. wink.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Jul 2 2008, 12:22 AM
I think its important to have a plan for those situations, meaning, you should have maybe one or two song you know very well(Practice alot) that you know you can go to when under pressure. If you are put on the spot and left to just noodle around on the guitar with an audience, that is probably were the pressure is coming from.

It is also much easier to play in front of people when you are in a band, and not the only one standing there. My biggest problem is when I play in front of people(maybe once a month), my guitar creativity goes out the window(No good lead licks) and I just resort to playing the bare minimum, but I know its because I don't have a set idea of what I want ot play as far as lead is concerned on the songs. You need to practice to the pont where the song is second nature.

Good Luck

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 2 2008, 07:44 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Just be confident and dare to play, if you hold back that's a big mistake, people will hear that. Practice practice practice practice your act before so you know it inside out. Thinking about which chords come next shouldn't be an obstacle.

Walk up, know your act by heart and just play. You're the one on stage, not them, and you're a better performer than 95% of the audience anyway. The ones who can perform are there to enjoy themselves and if they are more skilled, so what, they have been there once and know what you're facing and they will surely be humble about it. Anyone who says "I can do that better", well fine, but they are not the ones on stage at this moment and they are probably not very secure about themselves if they must judge.

You do what you do and noone who's watching does it better smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jul 2 2008, 08:16 AM
Singing Instructor
Try to play in front of one person first(best friend),and even if you are scared make your self to play or sing,no matter how you sound.I time you will haw more courage to do it in front of more of them.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 2 2008, 07:02 PM
If I get nervous around people for any reason, I imagine them all being naked. Then they all remind me of primates, like gorillas who wear clothes. Then I am not nervous anymore, then I think they are all funny.

+Quote Post
Kapto
Jul 2 2008, 07:35 PM
I know the feeling.
It's "funny" though. Sometimes when I practice and I'm doing fine from time to time I hear steps of someone getting close to my room and I "panic" my concentration gets lost somewhere.
I realized when recording the level of confidence and concentration multiplies the task by three the least. So I decided to record all the lessons I take at GMC and my own exercises. Drums,(Acoustica beatcraft) Bass,Rhytm,Lead.
I read somewhere an article about Jet li. When he was young they practiced that much that much with the Chinese circus that it was impossible to make a mistake even if they wanted to. Same applies for everything in life.

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Jul 2 2008, 11:33 PM
QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ Jul 2 2008, 12:16 AM) *
Try to play in front of one person first(best friend),and even if you are scared make your self to play or sing,no matter how you sound.I time you will haw more courage to do it in front of more of them.

Bob Dylan has made a whole career out of this . . .

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
montecristo
Jul 3 2008, 04:11 AM
lol.. thanks everyone for the input, it has definately opened my eyes that i should play because i like to, and if others don't like what im playing, then its their issue. as long as i try my hardest right... also, i try to picture them naked. wink.gif . i will keep you guys updated.

This post has been edited by montecristo: Jul 3 2008, 04:12 AM

+Quote Post
swingline
Jul 3 2008, 05:04 AM
Tis happens to me when I record, I just try to breathe deep, relax, and focus on the guitar.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 3 2008, 07:40 AM
Lets go fishing!
After you have been practicing for some time, you will have more confidence in your playing and it will just become automatic !! When you pick up a guitar you will have musical memory and it will be alot easier for you wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jul 3 2008, 07:57 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (swingline @ Jul 3 2008, 06:04 AM) *
Tis happens to me when I record, I just try to breathe deep, relax, and focus on the guitar.

To me recording is another state of mind,it requires a special focus,and I always mess out the first take.But as you sad:
breathe deep, relax, and focus on singing.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:10 AM