Line 6 X3 Underwhelming Despite Reputation
Todd Simpson
Mar 29 2014, 02:06 AM
GMC:er
Attached Image

So after much looking into it, I bought a POD X3. It's an OLD unit to be sure, but it comes with pretty much every amp/cab/mic/effect/preamp/expansion pack that line 6 ever made up to that point so not only does it look like a steal, it came highly recommended as the "Best Pod For Metal" even above the brand new Pod variants which have far fewer options/heads/cabs/etc.

After devoting a marathon playing/tweaking session, using the handy gear box app to edit patches, here are my thoughts.

1.) THE HIGH GAIN TONES ARE CRAP!!!!!! I mean CARRAAAAAAAAAPP!!!!

If you push ANY of the high gain amps beyond 50 percent, the signal collapses in to mudd/fizz. If you stack preamps/pedals and keep them all at 50, you still can't get where I'm trying to go. This made building lead tones very tough. I like consistent gain over the entire range of strings requiring delicate compression/gating/gain control. Just couldn't see it ever working on this unit.

2.) THE CLEAN EFFECTS ARE GREAT!!!!

I was impressed with the range of clean fx ( this unit has EVER EXPANSION PACK built in) and on clean guitar tones, it was impressive. I imagine that it would work for live BASS and for live VOCALS as well. Tons of patches/gear built in for quick and spiff results.

3.)THE FOOT PEDAL INTEGRATION IS ON PAR WITH ANY RIG AT ANY COST IMHO.

Wow to the foot control. I got a Shortboard MK II and and it's plug and play and DOESN"T REQUIRE A POWER SUPPLY which I count as a HUGE plus. The fewer chords dangling on stage the better. One RG45 network cable connects the unit to the pod, powers the floor control and is way cheaper than buying midi cables.
Attached Image

4.) SO WHAT TO DO?

After trying every multi fx unit I can get my hands on for several years, I'd say that if you are looking for a cheap/used mult fx unit, your best choice is...... THE DIGITECH GENESIS 3!!! It's got a smaller form factor, sorta like a pod and you can control it with a midi foot controller, like a pod, but the high gain models are the Genetx ones that remain the best thing digitech ever did and why I still have my old GNX3 multi pedal. No device in the price range before or since has come close on high gain. So I BOUGHT ONE right after I got done with the pod. smile.gif
http://digitech.com/en-US/products/genesis3
Attached Image

QUESTION: WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE X3 PLATFORM? In any variant? And can you share ANY high gain recordings you made with it ? Pretty please?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 29 2014, 02:46 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:30 AM