2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Playing Height, How low (or high) do you let your guitar sit when playing
Ctodd
Jul 21 2008, 10:28 PM
GMC:er
Just another one of those poll-like questions I like asking....

How high do you wear your guitar when playing?

It's sort of hard to gauge this so post a picture if you can.

I personally don't have a picture but I have heard people say that John Petrucci plays pretty high, and I play my even higher than that!

so that When I'm sitting down it doesn't even toch my lap. I've tried going lower but then I find it impossible to play, and frankly... I don't see how its possible to play when the guitar is much lower than the way I have it. I guess I became accustomed to this by playing alot while sitting, and I always foind it a hinderance if it was laying in my map so i raised it...

anyway because of how dorky/unusual I look when playing, it be a long time before I have the confidence to step up on stage laugh.gif

anyway,

your thoughts?

-Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 21 2008, 10:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just check out my album: Some pics from myself. You can see somewhat how high I´m holding my JEM. (Is the word "somewhat" used correctly here? biggrin.gif )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 21 2008, 11:20 PM
i keep my guitar right below my chest, so the body covers the stomach, i do string it lower sometimes but only when there is no need for really technical playing, usually when its lower its just at my waist and then i angle the neck to make it easier to fret.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Canis
Jul 22 2008, 12:40 AM
Learning Rock Star
I have my guitar way down on my stomach, so my bellybutton is just where the neck begins. It's perfect in my opinion ^^ Both comfortable, and looks cool biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jul 22 2008, 01:31 AM
QUOTE (Canis @ Jul 21 2008, 07:40 PM) *
I have my guitar way down on my stomach, so my bellybutton is just where the neck begins. It's perfect in my opinion ^^ Both comfortable, and looks cool biggrin.gif

cool: yes

comfortable: NO!

laugh.gif

I know, I know it's a matter of preference. I just don't see how it's possible though huh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 22 2008, 01:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
I have my guitars right in front of my balls (edit for spelling if neccessary), as low as possible before it looks whack. It is quite comfortable to play and you can always put the guitar straight up onto your knee when it comes to soloing. Talking about uncomfortable is just a lame excuse for not practicing with your guitar a a low height... It takes some time but the outcome is a cool look combined with a relaxed playing stance.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jul 22 2008, 02:11 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 21 2008, 08:54 PM) *
I have my guitars right in front of my balls (edit for spelling if neccessary), as low as possible before it looks whack. It is quite comfortable to play and you can always put the guitar straight up onto your knee when it comes to soloing. Talking about uncomfortable is just a lame excuse for not practicing with your guitar a a low height... It takes some time but the outcome is a cool look combined with a relaxed playing stance.

ok but can you practice the same stuff sitting down?

for me that was the deal breaker... I've played for 8 months or so sitting down... then the moment i go to stand up this one day, and let the guitar hang down.... there was just no way it was going to happen... it is a totally different feeling...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 22 2008, 02:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ofcourse it's diffrent because it's a totally diffrent angle from where you looking/fretting/picking. You just have to practice it like everything else and remind that this is how you will play live so practice,practice,practice

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jul 22 2008, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 21 2008, 09:20 PM) *
and remind that this is how you will play live so practice,practice,practice

haha not if i walk up on stage with my guitar at my chin! laugh.gif

but seriously, I will try and heed the advice and work my way down. We'll see how it goes...

thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 22 2008, 03:23 AM
I'm actually struggling with this one. I've done almost all of my practice/playing sitting down with the guitar resting on my left leg.

I started adding some goof-around time in my practice routine...cranking the amp up, make some noise, feedback, etc. Trying to have more fun with it. I noticed that I can hardly play at all when I'm standing. It's like learning how to play all over again when I try to do my normal practice routines when standing.

I still keep it fairly high when I'm standing to keep it close to how I have it when sitting...mostly above the waist. Still looking for a comfortable, natural position

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jul 22 2008, 03:37 AM
How do you play it that high? huh.gif I play mostly Vs and they are pretty low, like Zakk said, right in front of the cash and prizes. I'm still not as good as when I sit down, but I need to practice while standing more. It takes time, and practice just like anything on guitar, so don't get discouraged.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
swingline
Jul 22 2008, 03:44 AM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jul 21 2008, 03:20 PM) *
i keep my guitar right below my chest, so the body covers the stomach, i do string it lower sometimes but only when there is no need for really technical playing, usually when its lower its just at my waist and then i angle the neck to make it easier to fret.

Me too. smile.gif

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 22 2008, 11:15 AM
Instructor
I don't like the guitar too low, because it doesn't feel comfortable to play at all. Perhaps if I would do some riffing and that's it, then it could pass maybe. If I wanna have the sound, I put the guitar slightly lower than what it would be when I sit down and practice.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 22 2008, 02:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I have it in the middle, resting comfortably on my stomach wink.gif I guess I could bring it a little up with not problem though...I adjust the strap for guitar to be in the same position when sitting down and standing.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 22 2008, 03:17 PM
QUOTE (Ctodd @ Jul 21 2008, 11:28 PM) *
Just another one of those poll-like questions I like asking....

How high do you wear your guitar when playing?

It's sort of hard to gauge this so post a picture if you can.

I personally don't have a picture but I have heard people say that John Petrucci plays pretty high, and I play my even higher than that!

so that When I'm sitting down it doesn't even toch my lap. I've tried going lower but then I find it impossible to play, and frankly... I don't see how its possible to play when the guitar is much lower than the way I have it. I guess I became accustomed to this by playing alot while sitting, and I always foind it a hinderance if it was laying in my map so i raised it...

anyway because of how dorky/unusual I look when playing, it be a long time before I have the confidence to step up on stage laugh.gif

anyway,

your thoughts?

-Chris

So high that I can fret high without straining. I'm not Paul Gilbert tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Shadow21
Jul 22 2008, 03:19 PM
I have it like if i was sitting down, because I don't feel confortable with it too low.

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jul 22 2008, 03:35 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
For me guitar weight and the style of music is usually a factor. When playing leads I usually like it waist level and playing straight rhythm I like it real low biggrin.gif

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 22 2008, 03:54 PM
Lets go fishing!
Im pretty tall and i have long arms and hands, so i generally have my Pgm around my belly/waste area and its comfortable for me. I could never get used to haveing the guitar up high or over my left knee, as muris put it "feels to offical" laugh.gif

Its all about what suits the induvidual player wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 22 2008, 08:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I normaly sit, but if I stand up, I'd say just a bit lower then Petrucci. I'd like to have it like Zakk said, around the b*ll area.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
sigma7
Jul 22 2008, 08:23 PM
When I play its at my hip area. But I much prefer sitting down. It gives me more accuracy. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:33 AM