2 Pages V   1 2 >  
The Perfect Pick For You?
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2014, 11:53 PM
GMC:er
What is your perfect pick? For me, as everyone well knows, it's my Signature OCTAVIOUS from VonHotch.com. However, every player is different. Here is a pic of various picks in various shapes and sizes. I wanted to show how big/small they are relative to each other.

Is your perfect pick among these? If not, share!
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 9 2014, 12:33 AM
Used to be a HUGE v-pick guy, to the point where I can't actually use regular sized picks anymore, but they were getting dull way too quick for me. Can't remember who told me about them, think it was Darius; but I gave Hufschmid picks a try and those things are godlike. laugh.gif

http://www.plectrum.ch/

One I use most of the time is the 'PHD Attack Drop'

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 9 2014, 12:39 AM
I have a gazillion in front of me all the time (enjoying the tone differences on clean settings).

For shred main 3;

It doesn't bend but sounds as if a thin pick, very strong attack good for who favors very small hand movement. When worn, its not bad on cleans too.

String slippery version of the jazzlll smile.gif it really glides on strings, to me the better version of jazzlll for shred but cleans sound terrible smile.gif

Usually the 2.0, best of both worlds compared to the previous. Cleans also sound pretty good the only minus for me is I don't like the grip feel of it.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 9 2014, 12:41 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 9 2014, 02:33 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I've been using this plec for the last 5-6 years. They are durable as hell and I like the thick grip and feel of it. It feels weird for me to play with anything else.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 9 2014, 02:56 AM
Learning Tone Master
Dunlop Gator grips 2.0
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/417P2.0/

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jul 9 2014, 02:59 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2014, 03:11 AM
I'm with ya!!! I was such a HUGE V-Pick fan, and kept having so many custom mods done that Vinny finally made me my own signature pick!! You can still buy it on the vpick web site! smile.gif

But then I got a VONHOTCH OCTAVIOUS and now I love it so much, after going through several revisions, that is really is the PERFECT pick for me. It's ideal for my style of play and I'm very grateful to VonHotch for working with me for over a year to perfect it!!!

Attached Image

I did order some of those HUFSCHMID picks as well!!! They are really well crafted and are very high end picks. 3 of them priced about $100 U.S. I liked them but I'd already found my perfect pick so now I just keep them for reference. I should have put one in the shot!! Here they are smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 8 2014, 07:33 PM) *
Used to be a HUGE v-pick guy, to the point where I can't actually use regular sized picks anymore, but they were getting dull way too quick for me. Can't remember who told me about them, think it was Darius; but I gave Hufschmid picks a try and those things are godlike. laugh.gif

http://www.plectrum.ch/

One I use most of the time is the 'PHD Attack Drop'

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 9 2014, 03:18 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 9 2014, 08:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
My favorite for solo parts smile.gif

Attached Image

For rhythm parts and mostly for the moments when I need to adds more crunch to the tone, I use this thin pick:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 9 2014, 08:30 AM
Instructor
My fave pick is is that black Jazz III on the left hand side of your picture, Todd. It was you who sent me a bunch of picks and one of those was in the bunch. I've been using them ever since. Thank you !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 9 2014, 09:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Everytime I walk into a music store I try and pickup a pick thats diffrent than what I've got. Its great being able to change picks out while recording to a pick that will perfectly suit the passage you are recording. The hard part is finding a pick that will work in most situations well.

Still yet to find the perfect pick. Maybe I should start lookng for some others such as V picks and what not

All in all how does a metal pick fair. For the most part I like Tortex but I really don't like too much pick noise. How is it on your strings?

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 9 2014, 03:14 PM
Jazz III XL - the red ones.
*I swear I can feel a dif between the red and the black.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jul 9 2014, 03:15 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2014, 03:33 AM
Small world eh!! smile.gif Happy to help! That's really cool actually.

I've been a rabid pick collector forever and have a widely varied collection and sent a range of picks to Mr. Higgins to see what might tickle his shredding fancy! I thought he might like that Jazz III and whaddya know!!

I kept one for my collection too of course wink.gif I often switch out picks to give slightly different tone to solo work. It's just another arrow in ones quiver smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 9 2014, 03:30 AM) *
My fave pick is is that black Jazz III on the left hand side of your picture, Todd. It was you who sent me a bunch of picks and one of those was in the bunch. I've been using them ever since. Thank you !! smile.gif

I ADORE the way Aircraft Grade Aluminum sounds on guitar strings smile.gif It gives a bit of brightness and crunch to palm mutes as well as giving punch to lead bits. Shoot a PM to VONHOTCH and have him send you a few sample picks wink.gif That's how I fell in love with them!!

QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 9 2014, 04:33 AM) *
Everytime I walk into a music store I try and pickup a pick thats diffrent than what I've got. Its great being able to change picks out while recording to a pick that will perfectly suit the passage you are recording. The hard part is finding a pick that will work in most situations well.

Still yet to find the perfect pick. Maybe I should start lookng for some others such as V picks and what not

All in all how does a metal pick fair. For the most part I like Tortex but I really don't like too much pick noise. How is it on your strings?

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 10 2014, 04:36 AM
well i PMed Mr Vonhotch, also got a sample pack of V picks coming. looks like i'm gonna be busy trying out all these picks. Oh i also got the insane v pick for the lols (and to see the claim of it improving picking is true)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 10 2014, 05:05 AM
The more the Merrier!! My fave VPICKS are my Signature Vpick and the Black Stiletto. My fave Von is also my signature Octavious. Finding your perfect pick will open up your playing in ways you can't imagine!!! ENJOY!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 9 2014, 11:36 PM) *
well i PMed Mr Vonhotch, also got a sample pack of V picks coming. looks like i'm gonna be busy trying out all these picks. Oh i also got the insane v pick for the lols (and to see the claim of it improving picking is true)

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 10 2014, 05:42 AM
well i ordered one of the V pick mummys as well on top of the starter pack because I love B-Grade horror movies. Looking forward to that and also their intresting X pick I thought might be fun to try as well.

I also love how there are so many selections (for all the pick companies mentioned) I find its great to help get your mojo a boost when you get a little toy to play with. I like holding my own little shoot outs with all my diffrent guitars (oh god I have to many, like 12 now and the 13th to be done in october, Might theme it a little after nightmare before christmas) Anyway I find doing this really gives a feel for how you can use what gear I have. I know X guitar with B pick with A Amp patch sounds like this.

Plus its a fun way to practice

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 10 2014, 07:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 8 2014, 10:53 PM) *
What is your perfect pick? For me, as everyone well knows, it's my Signature OCTAVIOUS from VonHotch.com. However, every player is different. Here is a pic of various picks in various shapes and sizes. I wanted to show how big/small they are relative to each other.

Is your perfect pick among these? If not, share!
Attached Image

Second row, second on the right wink.gif The only difference is that mine is black! But the tone and the feeling are unmatched by any pick I have used so far! 21 gun salute to VonHotch!

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Jul 10 2014, 08:49 AM
Instructor
Since a few weeks I'm playing the great gravity picks(sunrise 3mm), handmade(!) and super quality.Before I played the Jim Dunlop big stubby 3mm.
But the gravity pick is the best i ever played.

This post has been edited by Guido Bungenstock: Jul 10 2014, 08:51 AM

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 10 2014, 08:56 AM
Started playing with those generic picks that are found on the ground at guitar center. Moved into the popular Jazz IIIs. My current ones are a long the preaching of Todd, using a sharp pick. Instead of rubbing it on the carpet I just bought Tortex Sharps I use to use the purple ones you have listed, but they tend to blend a bit in with my brown carpet so I moved up into the white ones which are also a 1.5mm thickness.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 10 2014, 09:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 10 2014, 08:56 AM) *
Instead of rubbing it on the carpet I just bought Tortex Sharps I use to use the purple ones you have listed, but they tend to blend a bit in with my brown carpet so I moved up into the white ones which are also a 1.5mm thickness.

laugh.gif

That's exactly what I was doing man... purple pick dust and cream carpets don't go together !

I tried the Dunlop sharp ones but they were too narrow which made it difficult to grip the pick halfway down, forcing you to hold it too far towards the wider end. So when the Jazz III's turned up I had everything I needed. Right size, right thickness, easy to grip and factory sharpened !

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 10 2014, 10:31 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 10 2014, 04:58 AM) *
laugh.gif

That's exactly what I was doing man... purple pick dust and cream carpets don't go together !

I tried the Dunlop sharp ones but they were too narrow which made it difficult to grip the pick halfway down, forcing you to hold it too far towards the wider end. So when the Jazz III's turned up I had everything I needed. Right size, right thickness, easy to grip and factory sharpened !

I should give the Jazz IIIs another shot I really only changed to make myself more accurate with picking, just got use to them. I bet I have a few "laying" around somewhere! Oh man lame pick jokes are the best! laugh.gif

Edit: Wow, I looked at the wall and it looks like my pick pouch is actually on the floor.. That kinda scary weird.

This post has been edited by SpaseMoonkey: Jul 10 2014, 10:32 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 10 2014, 11:01 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Im another convert to the preachings of todd biggrin.gif I got some of the white dunlop sharp 1.5's. Initially I was using them just for alt picking exercises but I really took to them and use them all the time now.
I also have the JP jazz iii and one of Von's Octavious, which is really comfortable to use but I do tend to go for the dunlop sharps now.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:36 AM