What's Yer Favorite Sort Of Wood On The Axe?
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2012, 12:41 PM
Instructor
Just like that smile.gif when I was beginning to play and I had no idea about what creates guitar tones, I always felt a bit drawn aback by the multiple options there were regarding the body and top wood. In time I had the opportunity to play sufficient guitars so that I may be able to have a better understanding over tones. Now what's your favorite and why? Sharing thoughts on this will be awesome biggrin.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 27 2012, 12:56 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Despite the bad rep it gets, Basswood is fantastic. Its got bright character and lots strength.

But, any good wood will be great. You can get a $2,000 made from alder or something and it can still have a bad wood production, completely ruining the tone. An old Ibanez I had was made from Basswood and I thought the tone was stale, and then years later I bought an ESP made from basswood and you can literally feel the difference, the weight and balance is right, and the tone is just clearer.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2012, 12:58 PM
Instructor
I like Mahogany for riffing, as it has a darker sound adding weight to the tone! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Mar 27 2012, 01:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Mahagony is my favorite too - warm and depth sound kind of natural

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 27 2012, 02:42 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I really need to get into how different woods sound.
From what I noticed so far - I have a preference for Maple neck on a bass guitar. Also, my current axe is made out of swamp ash and I like it's sound! smile.gif

Anyone can enlighten me with sound properties of Swamp Ash wood?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Mar 27 2012, 03:00 PM
Hi Bogdan listen to this :

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2012, 03:21 PM
Instructor
Hey Bogdan! Check this out:

Swamp Ash has a striking, deep grained appearance and looks great with translucent and clear finishes. A nice translucent finish on Swamp Ash can be just as interesting as flamed maple, and less expensive. Swamp Ash has some fine tonal properties too, with a lighter midrange and a sweeter top end than Alder. Consequently, Swamp Ash works well with pickups that have a lot of midrange and top end.

hope it helps smile.gif Cosmin

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Mar 27 2012, 01:42 PM) *
I really need to get into how different woods sound.
From what I noticed so far - I have a preference for Maple neck on a bass guitar. Also, my current axe is made out of swamp ash and I like it's sound! smile.gif

Anyone can enlighten me with sound properties of Swamp Ash wood?

Hey guys smile.gif

here's some more wood knowledge biggrin.gif

All about woods

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 28 2012, 02:53 AM
Instructor
Great topic man!
I am a huge fan of Mahogany and Basswood!
I love the sound of Les Paul! So much sustain and feel!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Mar 28 2012, 03:18 AM
Even thought I don't believe one type of wood is better than another, I tend to gravitate towards guitars with alder bodies and maple necks/fretboards, such as Fenders, Jacksons and Charvels. The cleans sparkle and high gain growls.

I did play this one cheap Dean guitar, I think it was less than $200, that was made from either pawlonia or agathis. I was amazed by how good it sounded unplugged. All the strings rang out clearly and it had a very "open" sound. I wouldn't be surprised if one day this becomes a premium tonewood, then all the guitar companies are going to mark up the price.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
thefireball
Mar 28 2012, 03:21 AM
Learning Roadie
I don't know enough about woods. I will have to read up on the link Cosmin provided.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 28 2012, 01:52 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
All you need to know is that any wood can be great and awful. A dull wood will ruin the sound and playability of a $2,000 guitar, rare but it happens. Then you can get a $400-$500 with just basswood, and it will sound amazing. You have to play one bad next to a good one to really see the difference.

I also like alder, its a bit dimmer than I like but its very balanced. I havent played any swamp ash or mahogany though, would like to try,

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 28 2012, 03:12 PM
GMC:er
A very quick overview is this:-
The harder (closer grain) and darker the wood the thicker the tone and greater sustain.
Add to that a lighter, softer wood for the highs and you have a great combination.
Tried and tested Mahogany with a maple top. biggrin.gif
Some people want a one piece body (mainly for manufacturing reasons) and so woods that offered a compromise between these two requirements, as well as the weight, were used... Alder, Swamp Ash, Ash, Basswood, Korina etc..
Now, with more exotic woods being available it is possible to completely 'tune' a gitar to your specific Tonal needs and have something built. You can Also affect the tonality by changing Neck Woods and also Fingerboard woods!! Use Bubinga, Pao Ferro, wenga, koa or your more common Rosewood or Ebony on a Maple Neck or use them on a Rosewood neck for a completely different sound!! also, one piece necks as compared to two piece ones change the sound and also Neck Through designs increase sustain!
On top of all this you can add extra sustain by stringing through the body (Hardtail), Glued Neck Joints (the longer the 'tang' the better), mounting the pickups directly to the body Etc!!
Right, hope that cleared that up!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 29 2012, 08:46 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! Thanks for the awesome explanations wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 29 2012, 12:05 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 29 2012, 08:46 AM) *
Hey mate! Thanks for the awesome explanations wink.gif

No worries!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:54 AM