Soulful Autumn Ballad
Jeroen
Oct 11 2014, 10:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey GMC, I always get inspired by collaborations. So I composed a little ballad based on the Soulful Ballad Collab / The Tasty Etude.

While the leaves are falling.. Let me know what you think of it

http://youtu.be/-WVSi8zArbc

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 12 2014, 11:23 AM
Instructor
Hey Jeroen!

This is a great improvisation and I think you have a lot of great phrases here going on and as a plus, your articulation skills seem to have improved! However - I still noticed you aren't using your thumb for support and that could be a turning point for you as a player - you could have 10 times more control over bending and vibrato. Please look at the video and focus on your thumb - see how you always hold it up in the air when you bend or execute vibrato? Well, try to grab the guitar neck with the thumb and use it for support as you have noticed in our previous discussion in which I shared my video smile.gif I think that if you try this, your bends and vibrato will not have so many pitch issues anymore, as now you are THIS close to nailing the pitches, but there's always an instability factor present. Please let me know what your thoughts are smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Oct 12 2014, 02:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Cosmin,

You're absolutely right, I need to work on that thumb. It's flying in the air, which makes it very hard to nail the intended pitches.

Thanks for pointing it out to me

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 12 2014, 12:23 PM) *
Hey Jeroen!

This is a great improvisation and I think you have a lot of great phrases here going on and as a plus, your articulation skills seem to have improved! However - I still noticed you aren't using your thumb for support and that could be a turning point for you as a player - you could have 10 times more control over bending and vibrato. Please look at the video and focus on your thumb - see how you always hold it up in the air when you bend or execute vibrato? Well, try to grab the guitar neck with the thumb and use it for support as you have noticed in our previous discussion in which I shared my video smile.gif I think that if you try this, your bends and vibrato will not have so many pitch issues anymore, as now you are THIS close to nailing the pitches, but there's always an instability factor present. Please let me know what your thoughts are smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 12 2014, 09:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Jeroen! Great to find a guitar solo from you. This idea has many tasty phrases that sounds very well over the chord progressions. There are many good things like the use of call and response, the use of silences between phrases, and your effort to give the melodies feeling and expression. As Cosmin said, there are important things to improve that would make your solo sound better. I also noted many pitch issues when you bend but also on some simple notes. There is also some room to make your vibrato sound more consistent and connected with the groove and the different phrases.

I think that a good workout could be to keep on practising this solo but putting all your attention on a different thing each time. Close your eyes and focus only on vibrato. Practice the solo for 20 minutes trying different vibrato techniques, experiment with wide, narrow vibrato, more aggressive, softer, longer notes, circular vibrato, and all the different possibilities. Remember to use Ben's great vibrato series for different possibilities: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey/

Then, you can do the same with bending. I've been checking a clinic that I found in another thread that has a great coverage of different bends (check the first section)

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2014, 08:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Oct 12 2014, 01:47 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin,

You're absolutely right, I need to work on that thumb. It's flying in the air, which makes it very hard to nail the intended pitches.

Thanks for pointing it out to me

As Gabi veri well underlined, the articulation technique needs your focus, in order to ditch the pitch issue once and for all wink.gif I would totally recommend Ben's lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/ in order for you to exercise focusing on and working with the thumb. Please let me know what you think smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 13 2014, 09:14 AM
GMC:er
Well produced vid!! Per usual!! smile.gif Your playing keeps improving! As the guys noted, there are quite a few PITCH problems in your playing here but that can be fixed. Quick tips!

When Improvising your solo, make sure you know roughly which scales you are going to use so that you will know if the notes you plan on using are going to be "IN KEY" or not. It sounds like you grab a few notes that are simply out of key or bend notes out of key. Playing "on key" is critical to good soloing. Playing "around the key" is something you'll get to later, but for now, I"d say make sure each note you plan to hit is in a scale that matches what you are playing.

Also, if you plan to bend, make sure the note you are planning to bend to is also part of the scale in question. As you develop your "ear" you'll just hear these things as you go. Until then, it will take some planning.

Todd

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Oct 11 2014, 05:07 PM) *
Hey GMC, I always get inspired by collaborations. So I composed a little ballad based on the Soulful Ballad Collab / The Tasty Etude.

While the leaves are falling.. Let me know what you think of it

http://youtu.be/-WVSi8zArbc

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:17 PM