So I hurt my finger practicing...
Bastardo Anonimo
Jan 14 2007, 02:56 AM
GMC:er
I was doing hammer-ons, and after a while, my fingers began to hurt... My middle finger and my ring finger began hurting everytime I touched the fretboard sad.gif

I mean the articulations, like I bent something.

So I stopped practicing yesterday. Today I picked up the guitar and tried again, and it still hurts in a few hand positions. A little less than yesterday, but it's still very noticeable. And I'm not sure what's wrong. Those two fingers feel a little weak and I can't snap my fingers, for instance, because it hurts my middle finger.

So what do you advise? Should I wait a couple of days before practicing again, or just go and see a doctor? (This is my first guitar injury ever, so I don't know how serious or normal it is, but it is very depressing not being able to practice sad.gif )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bastardo Anonimo: Jan 14 2007, 02:57 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
TheNung89
Jan 14 2007, 07:16 AM
Definitely take a few days off, maybe up to a week before you try playing again if it's as bad as you're saying. If it still hurts after that, go see a doctor.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
moorkop
Jan 14 2007, 01:12 PM
Is it on the fingertips? cause thats pretty normal, i have it too with tapping since i don't use that finger, therefore now i only do tapping 5 minutes a day and in a week i'll be able to do more

If it's your fingers then maybe you've been playing pretty fast while the room you were in was a bit cold or so. This is killing for your fingers (or at least for mine)

I'm not sure if this applies for you but you should always be very careful with your fingers smile.gif (escpecially in winter time)

PS i agree with thenung, usually it passes if you take rest, we don't want some chronical finger ache wink.gif

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 15 2007, 05:04 AM
Sucks dude, if the pain persists for more than a couple days, I'd go to the doctor.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Bastardo Anonimo
Jan 15 2007, 10:57 PM
QUOTE (moorkop @ Jan 14 2007, 06:12 AM) *
Is it on the fingertips? cause thats pretty normal, i have it too with tapping since i don't use that finger, therefore now i only do tapping 5 minutes a day and in a week i'll be able to do more

If it's your fingers then maybe you've been playing pretty fast while the room you were in was a bit cold or so. This is killing for your fingers (or at least for mine)

I'm not sure if this applies for you but you should always be very careful with your fingers smile.gif (escpecially in winter time)

PS i agree with thenung, usually it passes if you take rest, we don't want some chronical finger ache wink.gif

It's the articulation where the finger connects, the one in the nail. I already have strong calluses, my fingertips are strong wink.gif

But it's better now, maybe I just cramped a muscle or something, I can move my finger a little more. I'm still gonna wait till next week before I start practicing again.

Thanks for the tips, I do play in a pretty cold room and my hand gets warm.

Word of caution guys, rest after every hour of playing, otherwise you can get hurt. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:39 PM