Need A New Practice Amp
IronMaverick
Aug 27 2019, 08:17 PM
GMC:er
I am going to find a different amp. The blackstar id core usb connection stinks because it's too low of a signal and cannot be adjusted.

The other option which is to use the emulated out/headphone line to the computer is also silly because it mutes my amp and I do not have studio monitors. I got rid of them some time ago and don't want to use monitors again. I am looking for simplicity in an amp.

Is there a simple amp that will act as an interface for recording my progress AND serve as a monitor system for playback and play along with the lessons on here? I do not have an interface. Should I get the yamaha thr10 for my needs?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 27 2019, 09:47 PM
Thing with amps are they suck when used as playback systems, being mono and speakers colored (though not as colored on digital amps but still...). Thats why its sort of logical for them to mute when a cable is connected to phones/line-out, also we don't want both amp and monitor/speakers to play at the same time cause then you can't adjust your tone according to the backing track. Processors that have interfaces are usually preferred for your needs.

I never tried using on as a monitor system but I do know line6 spider amps has a tweeter in them, boss katana stuff also has very capable interface controls (no experience with the thr10) so I'd ask about those.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 27 2019, 10:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 27 2019, 10:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Phones out/line out is usually bad. Really bad, almost always. Joyo Bantamps have nice clean in headphones mode but can't take overdrive well. I have a Kustom 16 and if it broke, I'd buy another one, look for used Orange Crush or go all out and get Peavey Bandit 112. I don't like digitals and I stay away from multifx and processors but I can't say they are bad. If you want to go for recording, maybe a sound card like Scarlett Focusrite, Presonus or Steinberg would work but personally I prefer the simplicity of analogue amps and a camera for recording. These days they are pretty good and I'm considering Logitech 270c for a long time now but my phone's cam does the job too. Sound cards come with equipment that is usually good for a starter and there are many Scarlett users at GMC. Amps are as simple as plug in and play, it all comes down to your personal preference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2019, 02:03 AM
Why do you hate Monitors? Just curious smile.gif They are a basic part of any home studio. An audio interface and decent monitors can easily replace an amp IMHO. (heresy for many folks here of course). Mostly I'm just annoyed by amps these days. They just sound like an amp. My monitors sound like any amp I want, as well as a full drum kit, strings, etc. all miced up in a virtual room. And in stereo. But to each own smile.gif
As for using an amp as a playback device (for a full mix) is a FRFR unit (full range) and probably 2 of them so you can hear in stereo. This is way more money than a pair of monitors which leads me back to question 1. What do you have against monitors again? The basic home studio setup is laptop/interface/monitors/headphones for backup. It's not a complex setup to be sure.

Not suprised you hate the black star. I bit my tongue as I always do when someone mentions the "B" word. Some folks love those amps and God Bless em. I'm just not one of those people. For home recording, the best tones I've yet heard either come from a dedicated processor recording direct via usb or a plugin like overloud or bias fx. That way one doesn't have to crank up an amp to get a good tone as is often needed

But everyone has a different situation. Some folks have young kids and can only use headphones etc.

The THR10 may be just the thing. It's certainly not exactly "Full Range" but it's close enough for bedroom work.
Todd
QUOTE (IronMaverick @ Aug 27 2019, 03:17 PM) *
I am going to find a different amp. The blackstar id core usb connection stinks because it's too low of a signal and cannot be adjusted.

The other option which is to use the emulated out/headphone line to the computer is also silly because it mutes my amp and I do not have studio monitors. I got rid of them some time ago and don't want to use monitors again. I am looking for simplicity in an amp.

Is there a simple amp that will act as an interface for recording my progress AND serve as a monitor system for playback and play along with the lessons on here? I do not have an interface. Should I get the yamaha thr10 for my needs?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
IronMaverick
Aug 28 2019, 07:49 PM
Hi Todd and thanks for your input.

My practice space varies in my house. In my home office (which is upstairs )I have a pc setup with a pair of standard bose speakers. Sorry, I should have mentioned that those pretty much serve as monitors for me.
Sometimes I play guitar in the office space but there are many times when I have a few minutes where I can use my macbook pro downstairs to play along with. I seem to do that more than go up to the office computer. A small amp that keeps the clutter down and allows me to record my lessons with ease, so I could post them on my thread smile.gif for Gab would make me happy.

That in a nutshell is my reasoning for keeping the amp situation simple. I am a total beginner at guitar, but have played bass for over 20 years. I am just looking for some versatility with a small practice amp without the added cost of interface etc.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 29 2019, 02:21 AM
Ahh! Now I'm with ya! You have two Mix/Record positions and want to be able to move between them right? well, in that case, yeah, the TH series are great little amps. You can use headphones to keep things quiet have you to and you can use the amp itself as an amp. It's about as close as you'll get to all the requirements and still keep to a workable price range imho. Good little amp!
I have two mix/record positions myself. My situation is a bit different as both my setups are in one room. I have 2 sets of monitors at each position so that I can see how mixes will translate. I have a pair of bose shelf speakers in a third moniorin position in another room that I use to "jeep test" things now and then. I feel your pain on needing to be mobile! I gave up on desktop computers and went all laptop many years ago. Still try go gt my mackbook air to keep up with my macbook pro that I use for most things musical. I want to have two full setups so that If one is rendering video I can go record at the other one.

QUOTE (IronMaverick @ Aug 28 2019, 02:49 PM) *
Hi Todd and thanks for your input.

My practice space varies in my house. In my home office (which is upstairs )I have a pc setup with a pair of standard bose speakers. Sorry, I should have mentioned that those pretty much serve as monitors for me.
Sometimes I play guitar in the office space but there are many times when I have a few minutes where I can use my macbook pro downstairs to play along with. I seem to do that more than go up to the office computer. A small amp that keeps the clutter down and allows me to record my lessons with ease, so I could post them on my thread smile.gif for Gab would make me happy.

That in a nutshell is my reasoning for keeping the amp situation simple. I am a total beginner at guitar, but have played bass for over 20 years. I am just looking for some versatility with a small practice amp without the added cost of interface etc.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 29 2019, 03:40 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 9 2019, 10:44 AM
Learning Rock Star
Did you find one?

And furthermore, what's your budget?

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:46 PM