2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Amp Should I Get?
Jim S.
Sep 7 2013, 11:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
Alright so my gear is really getting quite old and I'm planning on buying a new amp around Xmas. I like tube amps and is like it to have the capability of going band level loud but most of its life will be recording and practicing. Ideally I like recording late at night so I have been using the pre amp out into my FireWire recording preamp into my Mac. So it's making no noise. I wish I could crank it up and mic it but that's not possible.

I have a bunch of equipment that is like to get rid of in its place like cellestion cabinets, pedal boards and older amps.

If you had around $1000 plus what I could sell what would you get?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Sep 8 2013, 02:06 AM
GMC:er
As a noob, I would ask since you cant crank it anyway, why don't you just go the plugin route, like guitar rig 5?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 8 2013, 03:29 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Sep 7 2013, 09:06 PM) *
As a noob, I would ask since you cant crank it anyway, why don't you just go the plugin route, like guitar rig 5?

I have used simulated guitar tones from my pedal board but it is not like the sound produced from an amp, very different smile.gif

I guess I should explain what type of music I generally play. I play mostly rock styles, clean to high gain van halen sound.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 8 2013, 05:04 AM
Learning Roadie
Perhaps a Marshall? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 8 2013, 06:32 AM
You mean like this smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/vanhalenish-patch-overloud-th2

To be honest, for home recording, you can get pretty much any sound you want out of a good amp sim if you prep the signal properly and design a good patch. I've stopped using amps entirely for home recording as they simply require too much volume to sound good through a mic and I lose too much tone trying to get the signal back in the computer. I've been using OVELROUD TH2 for high gain and SCUFFHAM AMPS plugins for medium gain/clean and I have been getting simply amazing results that would be hard to beat in a home setting with a "real" amp.

UNCGUY has a good point here. But in the end it's up to you smile.gif I have found that typically it's mostly about unfamiliarity with the technology that gets in peoples way. Also, there is a good bit of tweaking needed for most folks, but the good news is I've four threads full of killer presets for the major emulation plugins so you've got a big head start smile.gif

Here is a patch from the SCUFFHAM plugin as well.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/scuffham-amps-s-gear-plugin-1

actually pretty much every track on my soundcloud account was done with plugins and all the patches are available here for download so if any of these tones fit the bill your in luck smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd

But if you are set on getting an actual amp, you might look at the"TUBEMEISTER" Hughes and Kettner line they came out with a bit back that has direct out recording and switchable amp loads and such.

http://hughes-and-kettner.com/tubemeister/tubemeister5.html
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 7 2013, 10:29 PM) *
I have used simulated guitar tones from my pedal board but it is not like the sound produced from an amp, very different smile.gif

I guess I should explain what type of music I generally play. I play mostly rock styles, clean to high gain van halen sound.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 8 2013, 06:33 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 8 2013, 06:40 AM
Learning Roadie
I don't know what your budget is but I'd look for a decent 50w Plexi style amp, for higher gain just boost with an OD pedal.

In the big bux high end side of things is a 100w Suhr Sl68

or towards the other end of the spectrum (but still out of the high volume manufacturing made in china range)

Ceriatone 50 w Plexi Lead

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 8 2013, 08:49 AM
What style of music do you play??? What sound do you need??? BUY AN ORANGE AMP??? or any other amp they all sound like crap compared to Todd's magical TH2 presets!

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 8 2013, 09:02 AM
Well thanks!! smile.gif I actually did an "earball guestimation" of the JIM ROOT orange amp that I borrowed from orange for a couple of months. It wasn't scientific, just going back and forth trying to make the patch sound right. I should dig that patch back up!

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 8 2013, 03:49 AM) *
What style of music do you play??? What sound do you need??? BUY AN ORANGE AMP??? or any other amp they all sound like crap compared to Todd's magical TH2 presets!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 8 2013, 09:13 AM
Learning Rock Star

My first amp was a hughes and Kettner half stack, it was a solid state amp but I financed it at 16yrs old and still have the Celestion speakers from that stack today.

This post has been edited by Jim Seekford: Sep 8 2013, 09:21 AM

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 8 2013, 10:04 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 8 2013, 08:02 AM) *
Well thanks!! smile.gif I actually did an "earball guestimation" of the JIM ROOT orange amp that I borrowed from orange for a couple of months. It wasn't scientific, just going back and forth trying to make the patch sound right. I should dig that patch back up!

You should do that man. I'm having a ton of fun with yesterdays backingtrack by the way! Thank you for your inspiration.

The rockverb amp from orange isn't bad at all tho. I love fender twin reverb too, great affordable amp.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 8 2013, 12:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
The thing with amp simulations is that you probably have to put a bit of time into coming up with your own presets. For me at least the presets that come with the various products usually don't sound good. And it does take a while to get a good sound if you're not quite used to it... or know what you're doing (I don't!).

But if you're going to play with it in a band situation, hmm... then perhaps you're better off looking for an amp. I don't know what $1000+ gets you. Ï had a Laney half stack which I liked. Still have it, just not here in my apartment. It's in my parents' house.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 8 2013, 05:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 8 2013, 01:32 AM) *
You mean like this smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/vanhalenish-patch-overloud-th2

To be honest, for home recording, you can get pretty much any sound you want out of a good amp sim if you prep the signal properly and design a good patch. I've stopped using amps entirely for home recording as they simply require too much volume to sound good through a mic and I lose too much tone trying to get the signal back in the computer. I've been using OVELROUD TH2 for high gain and SCUFFHAM AMPS plugins for medium gain/clean and I have been getting simply amazing results that would be hard to beat in a home setting with a "real" amp.

UNCGUY has a good point here. But in the end it's up to you smile.gif I have found that typically it's mostly about unfamiliarity with the technology that gets in peoples way. Also, there is a good bit of tweaking needed for most folks, but the good news is I've four threads full of killer presets for the major emulation plugins so you've got a big head start smile.gif

Here is a patch from the SCUFFHAM plugin as well.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/scuffham-amps-s-gear-plugin-1

actually pretty much every track on my soundcloud account was done with plugins and all the patches are available here for download so if any of these tones fit the bill your in luck smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd

But if you are set on getting an actual amp, you might look at the"TUBEMEISTER" Hughes and Kettner line they came out with a bit back that has direct out recording and switchable amp loads and such.

http://hughes-and-kettner.com/tubemeister/tubemeister5.html

Hey Todd for some reason I did not read your whole post. Thank you for your help, I'm going to look intoyour recommendations.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Sep 8 2013, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 8 2013, 07:40 AM) *
I don't know what your budget is but I'd look for a decent 50w Plexi style amp, for higher gain just boost with an OD pedal.

In the big bux high end side of things is a 100w Suhr Sl68

Wow...that Pete Thorn is Hell of a player...I've been looking at some of his other stuff on YouTube...awesome. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 8 2013, 10:13 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I'm with Todd about this. I think that the best way to record by line at home would be getting an ampe emulator, you can go for the software ones like Guitar Rig, Amplitube or many others, or you can also get a Pod HD500 or any other like Boss GT10. Todd talked many times about a some tricks that you can do to get the best of amp emulators, so I would follow his suggestions.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 9 2013, 09:10 AM
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 8 2013, 05:04 AM) *
You should do that man. I'm having a ton of fun with yesterdays backingtrack by the way! Thank you for your inspiration.

The rockverb amp from orange isn't bad at all tho. I love fender twin reverb too, great affordable amp.

Found it!!! smile.gif There is a soundcloud preview as well. I tried to get the same grindy character as the JIM ROOT TINY TERROR. smile.gif

Here is the link to download the ORANGE patch.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=619354

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED that amp. The Jim Root head is one spiff little hot rod smile.gif But again for home use, to make it sound good I had to really crank it and it was LOOOOOUUUDDDD! smile.gif The patch worked a bit better for night recording.

Here is the video demo I did of the ORANGE JIM ROOT head smile.gif

BTW glad you like the BACKING TRACK smile.gif It will be my next COLLAB!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 8 2013, 07:08 AM) *
The thing with amp simulations is that you probably have to put a bit of time into coming up with your own presets. For me at least the presets that come with the various products usually don't sound good. And it does take a while to get a good sound if you're not quite used to it... or know what you're doing (I don't!).

But if you're going to play with it in a band situation, hmm... then perhaps you're better off looking for an amp. I don't know what $1000+ gets you. Ï had a Laney half stack which I liked. Still have it, just not here in my apartment. It's in my parents' house.

That's sorta why I mentioned that I've got four threads here on GMC packed with spiff custom presets smile.gif Amplitude, Overloud, Guitar Rig, all free for the downloading in my forum board smile.gif

Here is the OVERLOUD TH1 archive

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...amp;hl=overloud

Here is the OVERLOUD TH2 archive.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...amp;hl=overloud
Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 8 2013, 05:13 PM) *
Hi mate! I'm with Todd about this. I think that the best way to record by line at home would be getting an ampe emulator, you can go for the software ones like Guitar Rig, Amplitube or many others, or you can also get a Pod HD500 or any other like Boss GT10. Todd talked many times about a some tricks that you can do to get the best of amp emulators, so I would follow his suggestions.

You bring up a good point about the POD!! It's the hardware approach to emulators and will emulate not only effects but speaker cabinets and microphones and they are pretty easy to use. Just dial up a preset and bam smile.gif The stock presets are only a starting point, you'll need to download better ones but that's not that hard and then you move them over via usb to the device. You can also use the POD as a recording interface for your guitar smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 9 2013, 09:08 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 9 2013, 12:47 PM
Instructor
I like to work with plug-ins at home but never ever thought of leaving the real amp playing. I would probably go for some Marshall amp as a good starting, reference point...if we speak about wide range of rock styles. I choose Cornford but I now it's a specific amp and I doesn't work for everyone...a matter of individual preferences. I would recommend it also because of another good reason...You can buy it and sell it without any problems if You decide after quite some time that it's now what You're looking for. Most of modern marshalls are "easy" in case of articulation niuanses. Marshall owns probably the most famous classic rock tones we ever heard. You can find as many bad as good opinions about any model so it's good idea to try by yourself. If I would follow people's advices I woudn't ever had a few amps which I truly liked.

Having similar needs to Yours I would probably go for some little, and simple ( volume, bass, mid ,treb) high class amp with max 20 to 30 Watt power. I would also consider some construction with only 2 tubes in the power amp (cheaper exploration, service etc) for example Orange ad30 is 30 W butit has 4 power tubes...and it's heavy as hell.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 9 2013, 01:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
Alright so I think I'm going to explore this Th2 avenue until I can get that Tubemeister. I'm gonna try and play a few amps before I buy one but on paper the Kettner or orange seems to be the best! Thank you all for your help!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 9 2013, 03:00 PM
You can download TH2 as a demo for free to see what you think smile.gif Here is the link.

http://www.overloud.com/download/request_th2_demo.php

*Keep in mind that the demo version isn't meant for importing custom presets and such. It's just to get a feel for the software.

For Medium Gain stuff, the SCUFFHAM AMPS plugin is very cool and they just released a new version. A two week demo is available and you can install both on the same computer with issues.

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/download

And some GOOD NEWS about the TUBEMEISTER. They are releasing the GRAND MEISTER!!! IT's the same unit but now can be wirelessly controlled with an iPad smile.gif It's got midi support and total recal so you can have wads of presets. It's got some built in FX as well. It's got the best bits of a tube amp and the best bits of a midi controlled digital amp. Should be cool smile.gif Comes out this month here is a preview vid.

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 9 2013, 08:49 AM) *
Alright so I think I'm going to explore this Th2 avenue until I can get that Tubemeister. I'm gonna try and play a few amps before I buy one but on paper the Kettner or orange seems to be the best! Thank you all for your help!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 9 2013, 03:56 PM
IF u play Ass-Kicking-riff-chugging-ball-breaking metal, than my friends, Jim should only seek for True High Gain Valve Amp.
I would Go for ENGL Screamer 50 W full tube combo.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 9 2013, 04:58 PM
Instructor
I think Jim is rather up for some rock and heavy rock playing as far as I understood smile.gif

Anyway....guys did awesome job with this H&K promo vid smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:32 PM