4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Rofl German Is The Most Ridiculous Language Ever.
shellshock1911
Jul 9 2008, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
So one of my favorite bands is all German and their lyrics are in German (Rammstein, I am sure you have heard of them).

Well I already speak pretty good Spanish and am fairly deep into Chinese (although you have to go INCREDIBLY deep to get anywhere with this language!). So I decided I might give German a try. I went to Barnes N' Nobles and picked up a German instructional book to read in the store.

The first chapter was just showing how phonetic German is and how there are many cognates and all between English. It seemed great at first. Then I turned to the next chapter and it is about verb conjugation and how you have to change the verb endings according to the subject, same thing as Spanish, not such a big deal. THEN I turn to the next chapter and it says "Declension" then I look down and see these things called cases and how you have to change the endings of articles, adjectives, and nouns based on how the subject is used in the sentence, AND then decline them even more based on gender. Ok if this wasn't enough to make me close the book and give up immediately, I looked at the next page and read that most German nouns have irregular plural forms, jesus, why can't they just add "S?" I turn to back of book and see that the section on irregular verbs is like 10x as long as the section on regular verbs.

So does anyone know...behind the INSANE amount of irregular stuff and ridiculous grammar rules, is German easy at all?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 9 2008, 09:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yep our grammar makes no sense at all and you can only do it right when you grew up with it...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 9 2008, 09:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
I had german for three years, though I missed most classes one of the years due to rehabilitation because of a knee injury. However, I had a very hard time learning the language - the grammar and all is very difficult, I'd say.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jul 9 2008, 09:51 PM
German is obligatory at school here in Norway, I don't understand why! ohmy.gif dry.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 9 2008, 09:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
I was born in Germany and have it at school. The grammar is pretty simple for me. Writing some good essays is more difficult smile.gif

+Quote Post
chmilew
Jul 9 2008, 09:52 PM
I took german for 5 years at school but I can't write one sentence right sad.gif
Just remember few words..

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jul 9 2008, 09:54 PM
Articles

English- 2
Spanish- 8
Chinese- 0
German- 28

WTF

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 9 2008, 09:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
"Ich habe eine räuber gegessen" is all I can say in German these days, though it doesn't make sense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 9 2008, 09:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think German is very hard I've tried and given it up!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 9 2008, 10:04 PM
I think the only way to learn German is to actually live in Germany for a good while.
You need to hear that language.
A lot of people, even from Germany, listen their way through the language, blessfully ignorant of the underlying and obscure grammatical ruleset. laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Jul 9 2008, 10:08 PM
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Jul 9 2008, 11:04 PM) *
I think the only way to learn German is to actually live in Germany for a good while.
A lot of people, even from Germany, listen their way through the language, blessfully ignorant of the underlying and obscure grammatical ruleset. laugh.gif

You're damn right man. wink.gif I am from Germany and really, our grammar doesn't make sense. But anyways, I have no problems with it. rolleyes.gif

Therefore I love English. It is quite is easy to learn, not much grammar and of course, it sounds so cool. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jul 9 2008, 10:12 PM
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Jul 9 2008, 10:04 PM) *

Yes that is why I don't see why all these sources claim that German and Spanish are among the easiest languages while Chinese for example, is considered the hardest. I have yet to encounter anything difficult in Chinese. German was difficult on the third page.

QUOTE (Nazgul @ Jul 9 2008, 10:08 PM) *
You're damn right man. wink.gif I am from Germany and really, our grammar doesn't make sense. But anyways, I have no problems with it. rolleyes.gif

Therefore I love English. It is quite is easy to learn, not much grammar and of course, it sounds so cool. biggrin.gif

Yea British English isn't that difficult, but American English is incredibly difficult (from what I hear). For example in Britain the word "bait" is pronounced like it is spelled while in American it is pronounced "beit," the same applies with many other words, they aren't said anything like they are spelled. Of course I still can't figure out how laugh is prounced "laf" in Britain or "laef" in America.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jul 9 2008, 10:12 PM
Instructor
English is one of the easiest languages in the Globe... and I just can understand it with lot of difficulties and write it with lot of misspellings... SO I don't want to imagine how hard would be German !!!!

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jul 9 2008, 10:18 PM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Jul 9 2008, 10:12 PM) *
English is one of the easiest languages in the Globe... and I just can understand it with lot of difficulties and write it with lot of misspellings... SO I don't want to imagine how hard would be German !!!!

Well German is definately easier to write I guess. For exampe, house is spelled and pronounced "Haus," and its rules for pronunciation are pretty standard while in Britain they are loose and don't really exist in American English.

I swear why does every language have to have something insanely hard about it.

English- Moderate grammar, not phonetic in writing.
German- Phonetic, insane grammar
Chinese- No articles, no verb tenses, no plural nouns, excuse for a grammar "system," but wait a writing system consisting of 8,000 pictures instead of a simple 26 letter alphabet. Also tone system and the fact that the word "shi" for example is homophone for 82 different meanings.
Spanish- Extremely phonetic, as well as the fact that there is simply not enough sounds and there is like 5-8 syllables and 5 vowels in every word so it always just sounds like a gigantic slur of "a" "e" "i" "o" and "u" with some consonants here and there.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Jul 9 2008, 10:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jul 9 2008, 10:18 PM
Sag mall spinst du? Deutsch is eine sehr gute sprach!! LoL i used to rock at it cause my step mom was from germany, but over the years ive forgotten most.

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
stickyfingers
Jul 9 2008, 10:19 PM
ich finde es garnicht so schwer ;D

just forget about proper articles and declination - most germans don't get it either wink.gif

build a sentence S-V-O and you'll be fine, let us germans figure out what you mean. ^^

if you really want to get into that language listen as often as you can to native speakers to get the hang of it wink.gif

--------------------
Equip:
Ibanez RG 570
Ibanez RG 547
Boss GT-10
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Ibanez WD7
Fender Deluxe 112 Reverb

+Quote Post
Canis
Jul 9 2008, 11:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Jul 9 2008, 10:51 PM) *
German is obligatory at school here in Norway, I don't understand why! ohmy.gif dry.gif

Huh? When did that happen? I'm starting VG3 now, and haven't had a single german class tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 9 2008, 11:42 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
One of my roles is academic proofreading and so I'd say English is an easy language to learn but extremely hard to master. As a spoken language it is neither phonetic nor follows uniform and consistent rules. So overall I'd have to say that it isn't an easy language at all smile.gif.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 9 2008, 11:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (IDontWantMyUsername @ Jul 9 2008, 10:51 PM) *

QUOTE (Canis @ Jul 10 2008, 12:37 AM) *
Huh? When did that happen? I'm starting VG3 now, and haven't had a single german class tongue.gif

We had an option between french and german when i went to school but I cant remember if any of it were obligatory. It was too long ago smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 9 2008, 11:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
In Denmark there's an option for either French or German too.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:22 PM