Fast Picking, How to pick faster?
azri13
Jun 11 2011, 03:04 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys,i'm new here and has been playing electric guitar about 5 months.I'm having a problem on how to pick faster.I dont know how the PRO do it,but when i'm trying to do it i can't avoid from playing sloppy.Do you have any sugesstion on how to overcome this problem?I know they say that you have to play it slow and increase the speed later.You can't run if you can't walk.But it seems that i can't.Is it because all the PRO were meant to be abble to play fast or because of their hard work of practising?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 11 2011, 03:24 PM
QUOTE (azri13 @ Jun 11 2011, 03:04 PM) *
Hi guys,i'm new here and has been playing electric guitar about 5 months.I'm having a problem on how to pick faster.I dont know how the PRO do it,but when i'm trying to do it i can't avoid from playing sloppy.Do you have any sugesstion on how to overcome this problem?I know they say that you have to play it slow and increase the speed later.You can't run if you can't walk.But it seems that i can't.Is it because all the PRO were meant to be abble to play fast or because of their hard work of practising?

i am gonna tell you something, it will be impossible for you to play fast as the pro!(for now)
Guitar isn't something you learn from night to day, it require love, patience, determination, and time.
The best advice i can give you is for you to train really really slow, for example your favorite licks and raise the speed when you feel that you can play it perfect at that tempo, but i won't promises that next month you will be shredding like hell or next year, it comes with time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jun 11 2011, 03:50 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 11 2011, 04:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
Speed comes with syncronization. The more syncronized your hands are, the faster you can play. Speed up little by little, and you'll get there. Also use alternate or economy picking, instead of just down or up picking wink.gif Good luck. smile.gif

And like MDA said, it takes time. Just keep practicing, and speed will come by itself. smile.gif
Don't play sloppy.

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Jun 11 2011, 04:36 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 11 2011, 04:51 PM
Instructor
How long does it take for a tree to grow? smile.gif biggrin.gif i just HAD to say that tongue.gif mate, as the other guys said - determination, focused and conscious practice, love for the instrument and especially for the music, will bring you to the place you want to get to smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 11 2011, 05:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 11 2011, 10:51 AM) *
How long does it take for a tree to grow? smile.gif biggrin.gif i just HAD to say that tongue.gif mate, as the other guys said - determination, focused and conscious practice, love for the instrument and especially for the music, will bring you to the place you want to get to smile.gif

Great illustration! smile.gif

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 11 2011, 06:17 PM
As always, practice makes perfect! As everyone has said, it takes time. Its like everything else you must learn to walk before you can run. I use sharp picks so that I have less space to hit another string and helps me with being accurate, I tend to use them during practice time. After that I sometimes switch back to my standard pick and I feel I can play faster from doing so.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...rnate-picking1/

This is the lesson I've been working. I can't go nearly that speed but I've improved quite a bit from a week ago.

- Travis S.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 11 2011, 06:30 PM
Instructor
The good news is that YES, it is possible.. the Pro's don't have a secret genetic that enables them to do it. It's good, old fashioned practice and time. The best thing to do is to stop yourself from concentrating on the end goal and only concentrate on the NOW.. and make every time you pick up the guitar to practice as perfect and as focused as you can.

The key is relaxation.. you have to be able to do the technique without forcing your muscles to tense.. you can still push yourself every now and then but even pushing yourself has to be done with relaxed muscles.. do it until you feel the burn and you can't do any more without 'tensing'. In other words, do as much as you can as long as you can stay relaxed becuase if you practice playing something with tense muscles, you're only practising how to tense up ! wink.gif

ALso, you don't have to do it for hours and hours.. just as 5 or 10 mins at your maximum range is enough to progress.. (also remember that we have a general 'range' that we can reach.. it may vary as much as 10 or 20 bpm each day.. some days we are more tired than others)

It's also something that you cannot put a time limit on.. Michael Angelo Batio once said it took him 2 years to get a grip on alternate picking.. so if you take the time limit off your shoulders, you can lift the weight and just enjoy your practice and it will naturally come with time, you just have to let it smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 11 2011, 07:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (azri13 @ Jun 11 2011, 03:04 PM) *

I would like to add, don't practice sloppy - you will give yourself more bad habits then you can imagine - as I did
slow down until you can play it perfect and that is your starting point , and like everyone else said , lots and lots of practice
and if it has not been said yet- make sure you practice with the metrnome

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 11 2011, 09:10 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 11 2011, 12:30 PM) *
The good news is that YES, it is possible.. the Pro's don't have a secret genetic that enables them to do it. It's good, old fashioned practice and time. The best thing to do is to stop yourself from concentrating on the end goal and only concentrate on the NOW.. and make every time you pick up the guitar to practice as perfect and as focused as you can.

The key is relaxation.. you have to be able to do the technique without forcing your muscles to tense.. you can still push yourself every now and then but even pushing yourself has to be done with relaxed muscles.. do it until you feel the burn and you can't do any more without 'tensing'. In other words, do as much as you can as long as you can stay relaxed becuase if you practice playing something with tense muscles, you're only practising how to tense up ! wink.gif

ALso, you don't have to do it for hours and hours.. just as 5 or 10 mins at your maximum range is enough to progress.. (also remember that we have a general 'range' that we can reach.. it may vary as much as 10 or 20 bpm each day.. some days we are more tired than others)

It's also something that you cannot put a time limit on.. Michael Angelo Batio once said it took him 2 years to get a grip on alternate picking.. so if you take the time limit off your shoulders, you can lift the weight and just enjoy your practice and it will naturally come with time, you just have to let it smile.gif

Well said smile.gif I can't express just how true this is and how right Ben is here. 5 months is just barely enough time to get used to playing/practicing in general. It's really a very short time in terms of playing guitar. I know it seems like forever, and it seems like if you just new "how they do it" that you could do it to. The simple fact is they do it one pick stroke at a time and after several million strokes, it does get easier and faster. Be patient with yourself and your playing. Just keep at it!

Join me today for our Video Chat Lesson @ 10:00 GMT as well as we are going to work on ALTERNATE PICKING!

Todd

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 11 2011, 10:50 PM
Instructor
Guys are all right, and if I must say something about speed, then I'll talk about precision.

Precision is what makes fast players. You need to be able to play everything perfectly, in order to play fast. Repeated sloppy playing will get you to fast sloppy playing. Repeated precise playing will (eventually) get you to fast playing.

It takes years to achieve precision, and speed comes very slowly. One bpm at a time, not faster. Staying on slow tempos and practicing it slowly and precisely will help, nothing else! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jun 11 2011, 10:54 PM
First of all don't try to play fast... never play sloppy! Slow it down and just playing building up slowly to a bit past your breaking point then slow down again to finish off playing perfectly.

The main focus is actually to reduce the amount of movement in both hands - focus on one hand at a time then ensure to sync them. Get your fingers as close as possible and choke up on the pick.

Change the picking thumb to be straight and not flexable when playing at speed. Never angle the pick (up or down) but instead rotate it forward or backwards (if perfered) about 45 degrees so your got a good picking attack, with the smallest amount of surface area cutting the strings. Remeber to choke up on the pick as much as possible! Less surface means less resistants!

With the other fretboard hand, ensure the fingers aren't flicking up! Correct it before it happens and stay relaxed floating all fingers in position when idle (as close as possible). Scale runs will help with this. Less distance equals more speed!

Watch for bad habits and try to reduce/remove them, correct before they happen, else your wasting your time. Don't rerun the same exercises over and over, or work on stuff you already know (it's a waste of practice time) - keep practice and jamming separate, instead find your weak spots and focus on improvement them (within your own style of playing).

Using a metronome and then syncronizating the hands together (normally one hand will be faster than the other) is the hardest part but brings it together. Good luck!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
azri13
Jun 12 2011, 07:05 AM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jun 11 2011, 02:24 PM) *
i am gonna tell you something, it will be impossible for you to play fast as the pro!(for now)
Guitar isn't something you learn from night to day, it require love, patience, determination, and time.
The best advice i can give you is for you to train really really slow, for example your favorite licks and raise the speed when you feel that you can play it perfect at that tempo, but i won't promises that next month you will be shredding like hell or next year, it comes with time.

thanks man.you motivated me.I'm gonna practice harder now... wink.gif

+Quote Post
mr piddu
Jun 12 2011, 07:47 AM
I agree with all of you.
I also want to add another trick that can help you improving the speed.

It's really important the mental consciusness of what u are doing.
You must know what u are doing on the fretboard, the next move and the next note u're going to play.

I must be able to imagine exactly the movement and the progression of note and chords to play them correctly.
If u have a clear idea of what it's coming on the fretboard it's really easier to play.
The manual tecnique will come with passion and exercise with the metronome.
So try to imagine mentally the notes are coming and the relatives hand movements before playing them.
The speed will comes.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 12 2011, 08:47 AM
Instructor
Very good idea smile.gif anticipating what you play will always help wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 12 2011, 08:15 PM
Instructor
So many great advices - this is why I love GMC! biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Blister
Jun 13 2011, 02:54 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Be careful that you don't put a lot of pressure on yourself. That's a path to discouragement & stowing the gear in the back of the closet. Make sure you set attainable goals for yourself. Be proud of yourself when you reach that goal & then set the next one. The metronome is a powerful tool when it comes to building speed. Write down how many bpm you did this week & then the same next week. In a month you will be amazed at your progress. Keep yourself focused & positive. smile.gif

Gary F.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 13 2011, 11:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jun 13 2011, 02:54 AM) *
Be careful that you don't put a lot of pressure on yourself. That's a path to discouragement & stowing the gear in the back of the closet. Make sure you set attainable goals for yourself. Be proud of yourself when you reach that goal & then set the next one. The metronome is a powerful tool when it comes to building speed. Write down how many bpm you did this week & then the same next week. In a month you will be amazed at your progress. Keep yourself focused & positive. smile.gif

Gary F.

Gary is absolutely right here... we have to set ourselves small and reasonable goals which we can definitely achieve.. that way we always feel like we're making visible progress which is the key to keeping ourselves inspired and motivated smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 13 2011, 02:15 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 11 2011, 04:50 PM) *
Guys are all right, and if I must say something about speed, then I'll talk about precision.

Precision is what makes fast players. You need to be able to play everything perfectly, in order to play fast. Repeated sloppy playing will get you to fast sloppy playing. Repeated precise playing will (eventually) get you to fast playing.

It takes years to achieve precision, and speed comes very slowly. One bpm at a time, not faster. Staying on slow tempos and practicing it slowly and precisely will help, nothing else! smile.gif

Great post, as with many others here! As they say

"SPEED IS A BYPRODUCT OF PRECISION"

If you can play in a precise manner, working your speed up can be done a matter of course. Many players seem to want to jump from slow and precise to crazy fast and sloppy and skip the middle. The middle becomes your outter edge. As you progress, the middle just goes toward the edge.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:12 AM