> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Philm's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 22 2015, 08:25 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

this are not easy lessons, the tempo is fast and even being "punk" rock (a style that people things is easy) require a good control of rhythm playing and palm muting, very close to heavy and thrash metal. It's important to practice at a slow tempo and being able to play everything tight. The goal is to play this kind of lessons well not fast, so if you find your comfortable tempo and record everything sounding good we can see it as a goal achieved (plus motivation will come).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philm
Aug 24 2015, 07:41 PM
GMC:er
Yeah thanks Gab that makes a lot of sense what your saying. Lots of people seem to think that Punk is an easy style but getting to that speed in the original lesson is by no means easy at all. I have to accept that I am not at that level where I can play it at that speed and that the speed will come with time.
I started up on the bad religion lesson again today, that's a real fun lesson btw. I have had that bad religion song "american jesus" in my head since the concert so I had to revisit the lesson again! My aim is to record some new takes this week of the other lessons I am working on. I am trying to build up some momentum again!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 25 2015, 06:51 PM
Instructor
Excellent mate! That sounds good to me. Keep on working hard and enjoying this journey. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Aug 26 2015, 06:01 PM
Hey mate, here is a new take of the BMTH lesson. Still some mistakes here and there but this lesson is getting more and more comfortable for me now. More videos on the way...

BMTH 125bmp

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 26 2015, 06:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! Good job!

The lesson still has obvious timing issues, but I note a big progress comparing this one with the previous take. This means that you are doing your practice right. Please keep on practicing in this way, and try slower tempos to adjust the trickier parts (I've already marked the tricky part on previous feedback).

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Aug 27 2015, 12:40 PM
Hey Gab, Thanks for the feedback. I still am having trouble on the breakdown part in that lesson. I find it difficult going from the pinched harmonic to the palm muted notes, my thumb also seems to get trapped under the strings when I adjust it for the pinched harmonic.

Here are the rest of the lessons below.

ADTR

Rise Against
I know there are still timing issues here, I don't know what is taking me so long to get this lesson right!

Lagwagon
I am quite proud of this one, I know there are still some issues but I recorded this first take and I think its slowly getting there now!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 27 2015, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Good job with these videos!

I can say that the one that gives more problems is Rise Against and the reason is clear. It's really fast! So it will require more time of practice. However, I think that it would be good to let it for playing twice every day and start working on other lessons that are a bit below this one regarding speed and difficulty to use them as a bridge to be able to play this one. What do you think? I have many punk/hardcore lessons that are a bit below in difficulty, just check my lessons archive.

About your right hand technique. I'd like to ask you to compare your take on ADTR lesson with mine. Check both and pay special attention to the right hand movements. You'll notice important differences that make my technique more natural and that allows me to play some riff with more intensity, making the take more aggressive.

Then tell me what you notice.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Aug 31 2015, 05:02 PM
Hey Gab,
Thanks for the feedback! I agree, that's a good idea to learn a easier punk lesson to help me get the rise against one up to speed.
I was thinking of learning your sum 41 lesson or/and the song, "the hell song" by sum 41 which your lesson reminds me of. I already started learning this song some while ago and sometime I would like to finish learning it plus I think this would be a next good song for song analysis. I also am working on the bad religion lesson which is a bit easier than the rise against one. Another lesson I like that isn't strictly punk is your Hives lesson.

Regarding the ADTR lesson and my right hand technique. When I look at your right, you have more movement at the wrist? You also hold the pick at more of an angle that I do. Do you mean this? In general it just looks a lot smoother when your playing it.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2015, 04:02 AM
Instructor
Hi Philm, I think that it's a good idea to work on that lesson, as well as the song. It will be also more motivating to be able to master lessons, but keep on playing twice every day the tricky one.

About the right hand, yes! That's what I mean. My way of moving my right hand is smoother and the variation in amplitude allows more dynamics work. It would be good to try to apply it a bit into your own technique. You can do this with my lesson, and you can also do it by analyzing great rhythm players like James Hetfield, Dimebag Darrell, Van Halen or even Malcolm Young. Let's focus on details.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 1 2015, 04:59 PM
Hi Gab, thanks for the tips with the right hand. I feel this has improved if I compare videos from last year where my hand looks really stiff but I have someway to go yet, I will keep trying it. Here below is my revised plan that I will try to practice at least 5 times a week.

Rhythm
1.BMTH - Breakdown Riff (5mins)(2x All)
2.ADTR - 16th Notes (5mins)(2x All)
3.Lagwagon - Solo & Downpicked section(10mins)(1x All)
4.Skate Punk(10mins)
5.Rise Against (2x All)
6.Bad Religion (5X All)
7.Sum 41 Style (20mins)

Lead
I have been neglecting this area lately.
1.Bending Beginner(5mins)
2.Vibrato Lesson(5mins)

Theory
1.Song Analysis - Sum 41 - The Hell Song

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2015, 04:17 PM
Instructor
Great plan Philm! Yes, I also think that your technique has improved a lot in the last months so you are on the right track with our practice. The plan looks great, so let's go for it and let me know how it feels at the end of the week.

Cheers.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 3 2015, 05:57 PM
Ok Gab, I have been trying to adjust my right hand over the last two practices and it's a bit of adjustment but I can see what you mean. I seem to be able to attack the strings a bit harder and with more control when I change the angle of how I hold the pick plus moving from the wrist. I have nearly learned all the parts from the sum 41 lesson, could you send me the slower backings? I want to build this one up nice and slow biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2015, 02:22 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm, great to know that you are adjusting your right hand technique. It will have a very important impact in your playing.

Here you can download the backings: Attached File  sum_41_slow_backings.zip ( 4.9MB ) Number of downloads: 53

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 15 2015, 04:58 PM
Hey Gab
Sorry its been a while again. I have been following my plan for the last week but I didn't feel like I progressed enough to record any takes last week. I have learned the whole sum 41 lesson, when I record it though I notice timing issues also. I have been building it up at a slow temp and I notice when I play it slow my timing is more off than when I play faster. I am often ahead of the beat, the problem is I am not comfortable playing all the parts at a fast speed. I will keep working on it and try to record a first take by the end of the week.

I have also been trying to focus on my right hand a lot especially with the metalcore lessons and palm muting. I think its going well it is just taking a little time to adjust but I shall keep going on it.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 16 2015, 01:43 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm, thanks for the update.

My recommendation is to try to work on smaller sections, don't try to play the whole lesson and adjust it. Take the parts that give problems and work on them as a loop, the smaller the part is, the easier will become to stay focused and polish details to master it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 18 2015, 05:37 PM
Yeah Gab. that's my usual approach to learning lessons, first to learn the whole lesson slowly. Then as I increase the speed I notice which parts need to be worked on isolated.

I managed to make two takes yesterday, I wanted to make takes of all the lessons I am working on but I only managed the sum 41 and bad religion. Here they are below!

Sum 41
I can't play the sum 41 at full speed yet, the second part is giving me the most trouble but here is a first take at 160bmp

Bad Reglion
I am not happy with this one yet, I notice my right hand could be looser here in the first riff. I move mainly from my hand.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 19 2015, 04:17 PM
Instructor
Hi Philm! There is something weird happening with Sum 41 lesson, there is some kind of delay or something on your guitar, do you note it? Maybe there is latency....

About Bad Religion lesson, you are not ready yet for this tempo, please practice this one at a slower tempo and focus on timing, mostly during the intro melodies/riffs. Ok?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 21 2015, 05:21 PM
hmm yeah I think there is a latency problem. I was having problems recording this lesson that is would pop and crackle every once in a while. I researched the topic a bit and maybe I have the wrong buffer size set. I had it at 1536 samples but some articles say to have it high and others low, I am not quite sure what's right. Also I am having problems with my network card which may be inferring too. I will try to solve this problem.

Do you have any slower backings of the the bad religion to download, so I can make some slow loops of the intro riff? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 22 2015, 01:44 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, yes, I usually set a smaller buffer size, close to 128 or 256. This is related to your processor so you have to experiment what's the best setting for you, but I think that you've found the problem.

About the backings, I don't find them in my computer, I'll see if we can get them from the lesson. I wonder if you know this software, it's very useful for practicing:

http://www.ronimusic.com/amsldowin.htm

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
philm
Sep 29 2015, 02:58 PM
Hey Gab,
It's been a while, well I still haven't managed to fix this issue with the latency and its starting to get really annoying. I have tried setting the buffer size at all different sizes and it's still not fixed the problem. If anything it's gotten worse, the sound cuts out completely for like half a second and then resumes at a later part in the track which makes it impossible to practice!
I have tried the following.

1.Setting buffer size lower reduces the latency but the sound cuts out completely every once in a while. Having a higher buffer size reduces the latency but cuts out more.
2. I thought it may be an issue with connecting my pod hd500x into my steinberg audio interface but I have always done it this way. I changed the xlr button to ground and the 1/4" to amp and it worked yesterday but now today i am getting the same issues again.
3.Updated all the drivers on my laptop.
4.Tried different USB ports.
5.It seems to depend also on what track or file , for example the sum 41 one is the worst for cutting out.

This is really starting to frustrate me, I have been struggling a bit for motivation as it is lately but I really wanted to get back practicing hard this week and this is just stopping me. Do you have any other ideas what the problem maybe? I'd appreciate it dry.gif

BTW, killer lesson on royal blood! I saw them last year in concert and its amazing what a killer racket of sound those two can make live. It inspired me to get going on the current lessons I am learning so I can start learning that one!

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:00 AM