Vista Problems
JVM
Sep 24 2008, 08:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Heeelp! I have problems with vista on the laptop I just bought. I've looked all over the net but I can't find a real solution to this problem, I was wondering if any of the computer gurus here might be able to point me in the right direction.

The problem is that I can't seem to start up the OS. Now, thats not exactly true considering I am in my OS on the laptop typing this right now, but its really screwey. It seems that a file called "logonUI.exe" is corrupt, but it also mentions windows/branding/basebrd as another thing. I'm not really sure what is going on.

The only way I can get into the OS is to use the recovery disk that came with the computer, which brings me to my user profile login thing (the place right before you're taken to your desktop) and it asks me to run the recovery thing. However, every time I've tried it it ends with a big error. If I hit cancel, I can get into my desktop and use the computer, but certain things are still weird. AIM says it cannot log in, even though I clearly have internet access.

If I try to explore my windows folder looking for more details on the problem, I can get to about c:/windows and then it freezes up. I've also had it freeze up just trying to download a program suggested on some website I saw. So as you can tell, I'm a little hesitant to do anything right now for fear of the computer freezing up again.

If anyone can help me either fix the corrupt logonUI.exe or windows/branding/basebrd thing, or help me just uninstall vista and reinstall it, that'd be grand. Thanks guys.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 24 2008, 08:37 PM
GMC:er
Back up all important data if you can
Put the Vista DVD into your DVD rom drive
Boot to CD
Wipe your partition
Reinstall Vista
Install drivers
Copy data back
Do windows updates
You should be set after that....

You need to find out what bootup keystroke it is to boot from CD. On IBMs it's F11

Oh BTW - Vista kinda sucks - Might consider going back to XP if you can...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Sep 24 2008, 08:37 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 24 2008, 09:07 PM
Learning Roadie
It kind of does, I agree. I thought when I bought it that SURELY by now it would be okay, but it really does live up to it's reputation. By the way, I also seem to be having problems with my "windows modules installer":

Attached Image

I think for now I will keep looking for ways to solve the problem as a wipe of the hard drive should be a last resort I think :/

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 24 2008, 10:04 PM
Instructor
Hmmm, I'm not sure what could be the problem man, but in these cases I always go for a "wipe out the whole drive" solution. It is the simplest and fastest solution, and you can bet that everything will work when you reinstall a fresh copy of windows. But if you do plan to do that, check with Microsoft and their authorization system, sometimes it can be a more of a hassle then use.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 24 2008, 10:17 PM
Instructor
This sounds like a virus. I agree with others to reinstall everything and follow some very important steps.

You have to have some anti virus/internet security program to be 100% safe.

1. Install your system
2. Before browsing any page, install antivirus, get the latest updates and make a full system scan
3. Open Windows update and install all available updates
4. Now you can put your personal data back and install other software. If any of these were previously infected, fresh antivirus will tell you that.

after this you can "think" you are safe.

I tried this about 500 times. I couldn't believe how quickly I get infected if I missed steps 2 and 3. Sometimes it happens after 5 minutes of browsing especially on Win XP.

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Sep 24 2008, 10:19 PM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 25 2008, 02:06 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Did you buy the new laptop with embedded OS ?? I think you should maybe return it to the store so they can figure it out (and do the "dirty" work)...There are not much options , either that or you do a manual format and reinstall of the Vista...I don't like the freezing part , I hope that all the components of the laptop are working properly...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 25 2008, 08:44 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi JVM,
I don't use Vista (still on XP) but I think the following is true for VISTA as well.

Logonui.exe is the file that Windows uses for the logon/password screen and is normally located in the c:\windows\system32 folder. Some malware disguise themselves as logonui.exe in order to avoid detection and often place themselves earlier in the chain ie at c:\windows. Assuming it's malware when you log on the malware code runs and will keep on dumping you to the logon screen prompt as the malware continues to run in the background. (It could of course be a corrupt loginui.exe file in which case it needs to be removed/overwritten with a fresh one. You could extract this from the Setup - see below - or if you don't have it take back to the shop and get them to do this. Stupidly - imo - not all pcs with preinstalled Windows come with the Setup disc rolleyes.gif .)

To remove the malware you might try one of three things imo:

a) logon as you are doing and search for loginui.exe and if it isn't in c:\windows...\system32 then rename it and look at ...\system 32 to see if the malware has renamed it etc. Run a spyware prog and try to remove the malware. If necessary create a new loginui.exe in ...\system32 via the setup disc.
cool.gif create a startup boot disc which loads and runs an antivirus and spyware from dos.
c) create a Linux OS boot disc and use Linux to scan your Windows files and remove the malware.

It is possible that the malware has corrupted your loginui.exe file btw. If it has you need to get the loginui.exe file from your Setup dvd. Try 'expand logonui.ex_ logonui.exe' from the Command prompt - most/all setup cds/dvds contain compressed files and this should decompress the file for you.

Failing this - and as your Windows dvd has issues take it back to the shop after you've saved your data somewhere else.

Hope it helps jvm and good luck.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 25 2008, 09:00 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Silly question maybe but you say you just bought the laptop so can't you just return it?
Why spend many hours on something that should have worked to start with.

If I had bought a new car which showed to have a broken engine I wouldn't pop the hood and start working on it first thing, I'd hold the seller responsible.
The same applies on computers. Of course it should work.

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 25 2008, 06:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
its almost easier to wipe the drive and start fresh. Its seems with my expierence that Windows never runs correctly after you have been infested. But maybe its just me.

I run Vista 64 and I love it. I have been a XP fan boy for a long time. After SP1 for Vista the system runs great.
My theory is that you need pretty high requirements for Vista so why not concentrate your efforts on just the 64 bit platform.

Remeber that it took XP 2 Service Packs and 100+ updates later to make it work decent. Just like with any O/S make sure everything will work for you before you install anything.

Good luck

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
VinceG
Sep 28 2008, 09:56 PM
GMC:er
Get a Mac, problem solve biggrin.gif

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:04 PM