I Have A New Guitar! It Is A ... Uhm... Well... I Dont Know :)
twist
Oct 3 2009, 06:08 PM
GMC:er
Hi folks,

i was at my local guitar shop recently and talked with the owner about me planning to buy a guitar thats suitable for dropped tunings (I dont want to risk my old Charvels neck for that smile.gif ). The first answer was "Well, buy a bass guitar..."... Then we were talking a few minutes about possible modells that suited my plans. Suddenly he said "Oh, i have something laying around somewhere..." and was gone for about ten minutes and came back with the guitar that you can see on the pictures attached to this posting. I bought it for very little cash....

As i am not that familiar with woodtypes and guitar history some of what comes now is guesswork. (Oh and i had no time to clean it, so excuse the dust smile.gif )

Attached Image

The body is a fake hollow body. Its solid except for the fake f-holes on each side. Somehow there is no other way to acces the cables and stuff than trough these holes. No opening in the back. You dont see any pictures of the backside because its just plain black, no marks, no writings, nothing.
Attached Image

The headstock has a Gibson-like shape and like everything else on this guitar, no markings. The mechanics, also, have no brand names or else on them. On the back there is an inspection sticker...
Attached ImageAttached Image

The fretboard has 22 frets and i dont know what type of wood it is.
Attached Image

The guitar has no tremolo.

Pickups are two humbuckers without any markings.

So, nothing to identify this thing, it has a warm and solid sound, good sustain, and seems to be well crafted. Mechanics might be a bit better and strings need replacement, also the output jack seems to need a bit attention. Its distincly heavier than my charvel overall.

So if anyone here on the forum has an idea what the origin of this guitar might be, feel free to post smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by twist: Oct 3 2009, 06:09 PM

--------------------
rivers just happen

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 3 2009, 06:40 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
No idea on the guitar. But actually, if it's a Gibson like it probably has the shorter scale while for drop tuning the best option would be a bariton guitar with a longer scale than Les Pauls, Strats etc wile shorter than a bass.

As a project guitar you can probably make something fun out of it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
twist
Oct 3 2009, 06:44 PM
It surely isnt the ultimate drop tuning guitar but its way more suited than my precious old charvel. This one has a set neck, no tremolo and died perform well with tunings down to one and a half steps lower (Just for fun smile.gif ).

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Oct 3 2009, 10:59 PM
QUOTE (twist @ Oct 3 2009, 11:08 AM) *
Hi folks,

i was at my local guitar shop recently and talked with the owner about me planning to buy a guitar thats suitable for dropped tunings (I dont want to risk my old Charvels neck for that smile.gif ). The first answer was "Well, buy a bass guitar..."... Then we were talking a few minutes about possible modells that suited my plans. Suddenly he said "Oh, i have something laying around somewhere..." and was gone for about ten minutes and came back with the guitar that you can see on the pictures attached to this posting. I bought it for very little cash....

As i am not that familiar with woodtypes and guitar history some of what comes now is guesswork. (Oh and i had no time to clean it, so excuse the dust smile.gif )

Attached Image

The body is a fake hollow body. Its solid except for the fake f-holes on each side. Somehow there is no other way to acces the cables and stuff than trough these holes. No opening in the back. You dont see any pictures of the backside because its just plain black, no marks, no writings, nothing.
Attached Image
Hmmmm. I may be wrong on this, but the headstock shape, and finish looks like an "SX" or "Agile" brand. You can email a picture or two to: Rondo Music. The owner Kurt is very helpful. I think it may be one of theirs.
The headstock has a Gibson-like shape and like everything else on this guitar, no markings. The mechanics, also, have no brand names or else on them. On the back there is an inspection sticker...

The fretboard has 22 frets and i dont know what type of wood it is.
Attached Image

The guitar has no tremolo.

Pickups are two humbuckers without any markings.

So, nothing to identify this thing, it has a warm and solid sound, good sustain, and seems to be well crafted. Mechanics might be a bit better and strings need replacement, also the output jack seems to need a bit attention. Its distincly heavier than my charvel overall.

So if anyone here on the forum has an idea what the origin of this guitar might be, feel free to post smile.gif

You may try sending an email (and pics) to Kurt at Rondo Music. It looks like either an "SX", of one of their "Agile" models. I cannot be 100%, but it looks a lot like one of theirs to me.

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey

+Quote Post
twist
Oct 4 2009, 12:51 AM
Thank you for that hint, i will try that!

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 4 2009, 12:30 PM
This could have been made in any number of Far Eastern Factories!
It looks like it based loosely on a PRS Body shape.
I'd say that the Fretboard is Rosewood, judging by the grain.
If you're going to keep it as a drop-tuned instrument remember that you may need to adjust the Truss Rod once evrything has settled as you'll have less string tension!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
twist
Oct 4 2009, 04:53 PM
The Rondo Music guys dont recognise this guitar, so it seems it is none of their models...

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:47 AM