Degree In Music In The Uk, Finished high school, looking for a degree
DaniHel
Jul 7 2009, 09:08 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hey everyone.

I have officially concluded high school. In my country there is a course that is supposed to open, the first of its kind of audio and music technology, which is an amazing course, but apparently signing up will only be available in september...
They will require some sort of curriculum, a letter explaining why i want to attend and then an interview. I might or might not get it, but i have to get into something.

I was wondering if in the UK there are schools where i can get a degree (college) in music. Guitar, studio work or something else. I know of some schools in the UK but i´m not quite sure of them.

Didn´t Emir attend one of those schools and got a degree?

If anyone could help me out (sooner than later), i would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Canis
Jul 7 2009, 09:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
The Guitar Institute was the school Emir went to, I believe. They offer a degree in a lot of diffrent paths.

It's my dream to go there some day as well ^^

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DaniHel
Jul 7 2009, 09:54 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Thanks

If i was aiming for guitar, what would be a better college choice? Degree or Higher Diploma? Or is one the continuation of the other?

Any courses on studio production?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 7 2009, 11:17 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Not a comment on GI/ICMP but a more general observation.

I work in UK Higher Education and to award an Undergrad HNC/HND/Degree or Post Grad you need to be either an accredited UK University or be recognised as a Degree awarding body - or properly affiliated by one such - by the appropriate HE authority. If they are not then as far as I am aware you cannot be awarded a recognised UK University qualification. If the institution is recognised as such then I would have thought that they would say so explicitly.

Continuing on, Degree comes after a Higher Diploma (HND/HNC): ONC/OND<HNC/HND<BA/BMuS<MA/MMus<DPhil<PhD. (I'm being picky as technically a DPhil=PhD but in practical academic terms it doesn't).

Courses on Studio Production - there are a lot at UK Universities and affiliates. Take some time and look around - there is a lot of competition and choice.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 8 2009, 12:26 AM
Instructor
I finished 3 years at The Institute and now have BMus degree. You pay, pass audition and study. There is nothing more to that. If you need more info, everything is on their website and I can also help you if you have questions.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jul 8 2009, 09:14 AM
GMC:er
There is also BIMM, both the brighton institute and I think there is now a bristol branch that opened.

I did a degree in audio technology at a university, was worth doing. But, it's more technical rather than musical - primarily audio electronics, pro studio practice, digital circuits, software, physics, acoustics and mathematics. A lot more difficult that people initially think, and a lot of people end up dropping out. But at the same time, it's very useful as a musician. I met a lot of other musicians on the course and got a lot of studio time recording in a very well kitted out studio, which is very difficult to do if you're not already an accomplished musician or engineer.

Like any course, musical or technical though, you have to be pro-active. Most of what I learnt at uni I did in my spare time, I built amps, effects, guitars, wrote plug-ins, did private recordings in the studios, all sorts of things. You just have to use what being in that environment gives you and live and breathe it, and make sure you also do the course work so you pass wink.gif

For me that's worked out better, because I practice a lot musically and take lessons now privately, so I can better my musicianeyness. Then I will competant in both the technical areas and the musical areas.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 8 2009, 11:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AdamB @ Jul 8 2009, 09:14 AM) *
There is also BIMM, both the brighton institute and I think there is now a bristol branch that opened.

BIMM is also popular. You have ACM in Guilford as well. There is Guitar-X in London - part of Thames Valley University. They used to be one school together with the Institute but they split up.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:59 AM