Freedom To Fly Collab, FINAL MIX AND COMMENTS
Daniel Realpe
Jul 31 2010, 01:10 AM
Instructor
Freedom to Fly Collab

Attached File  Freedom_to_fly_Final_Mix.mp3 ( 13.56MB ) Number of downloads: 305

Marek's take: (Comments down below)

Attached File  marek.mp3 ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 178

No. of participants: 12

* Here are some comments I made on your takes guys! Thank you very much for taking part:

- Berglmir: 0:00 – 0:40

I like the tone you used, it’s got a lot of body and it stands out pretty good. I think you could improve the timing where you put your phrases. I mean, make it more clear as if it’s very obvious where you are going to put them.

I had to learn this because I wanted to experiment to much to the point where listeners didn’t know what was going on, and that is not a good thing.

Thank you for that take!

- Uncreator: 0:40 – 1:48

Nice mix of clean and dirty channels. The first part is quite melodic and expressive. I liked the slides at the end. I like how on the distorted part you re-established the first idea from the clean part, and it’s quite simple.

Great bends! I think there’s a slight issue in the intonation of the long notes if you may notice,

I would have loved to see an ending to it, wink.gif

Thank you for taking part!

- Alex Lewis: 1:48 – 2:24

Aggressive from the start! I loved your pentatonic phrasing and aggressive approach. I can tell you have experience playing this type of music. A great take! I loved the harmony with two strings at the end.

- Rob: 2:24 – 3:32

Your tone is precise for this. Your phrasing and dexterity are quite good! I really liked the choice of notes in your take. The first half is noticeable better than the second, but I must say both are great. The arpeggio part could be even more precise. You could even utilize other techniques such as string skipping or tapping to hit the same notes.

Man, the ending was awesome!

Thank you for participating!

- Maharzan: 3:32 – 4:08

Quite relaxed, chilled take. Loved it! You took your time and had patience to present your ideas. I can feel the expression in it. The ending could have been a little better imo.

(I know the video the version is the one with the intonation issues, just wanted to point out that the one on the final mix is much better regarding that aspect)

- JKB: 4:08 – 5:17

The tone fits in pretty well with this 80’s backing track! You went for the long route, that’s good, more time to present your stuff. I liked the melodic twists you made, somehow I can sense security coming off you, which is great.

You just let yourself go off and recorded it, a very nice take! Slight intonation issues here and there.

Thank you!

- Gitarrero: 5:17 – 6:27

The tone doesn’t serve the style too much. I think you could have used more mids, more body to it. If you are using emulator, emulate a bigger amp. I would recommend to use more jumps in the scale and not only going on consecutive steps like this:
(Scale steps)1-2-3-4-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-4-5-6-7

But rather you could do: (Scale steps) 1-3 -4-1-7-2-5-4-3-7-6-5-2-3-6

I liked that you riffed at the end!

Thank you for your take!

- Kaz: 6:27 – 7:03

Nice pause at the beginning, creates anticipation. Nice doubleing in octaves! The faster part could’ve been a little more in time, it feels a little too slow. I liked the end of the take, very climatic.

- Fireball: 7:03 – 8:12

I can see what phrasing you were trying to develop. It’s a good attempt to try and make a different melodic than conventional. The thing is you are using degrees that will sound common for instance: 1 and 3, then 2 and 4. You could use bigger leaps like 1-5, or 1-6 and experiment with those.

The speed picking part feels too outside of the time, you could do exact 16th notes or triplets.

The wah reminds me of Kirk Hammet. I think it sounds quite good, what wah is it?

- Animal: 8:12 – 8:48

A very melodic take. Not many risks taken but you delivered a nice emotional phrase. The tone is quite full and digestable. Reminds a bit of Joe Satriani. You could take more risks next time.

- Daniel Realpe: 8:48 - end

As you may have noticed this take is based on “Tears of Sahara” by Tony MacAlpine. Very melodic and sequential phrasing. Quite simple but effective way of expressing a musical idea.

The doubling of guitars was done by thirds as it was typically done in the 80’s. A nice effect is achieved, and add the power chords underneath and you have 80’s style shred!

Thanks everyone for taking part! I had a lot of fun on it, I hope to see you on the next one!

- Marek:

I liked the slow melodic approach you did to your solo. You took your time with long notes and your bends are spot on, slow but in tune. I would say that you could do the vibratos more aggresive, go out of the central tone more but quickly.

I loved the pentatonic lick on the second part! I would've liked more development on that idea! After it you kind of suddenly stopped, it would have been a great way to build climax.

In the last scale, I think the notes you chose are kind of off. And pay attention to that last vibrato, it's intonation it's off.

Overall I think the idea is great, but it could have been presented better, more polished.

Thank you for presenting it!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Jul 31 2010, 06:45 PM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 31 2010, 02:25 AM
GMC:er
Great job everyone! I love the Tears of Sahara tribute feeling as well smile.gif Tony is such a KILLER player/writer, great all around guy. Keep em coming!
Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 31 2010, 03:35 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Good work everyone... Thanks Daniel for the feedback. Its always wonderful to be part of a collaboration as it helps explore more dimensions. smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 31 2010, 04:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
Daniel, that was an excellent mix. I had my sennheiser's on, and all the guitars were mixed into the backing track just right.

This collab was excellent! I was hearing some really innovative and powerful playing - I was feeling the shift in moods all throughout- Excellent job everyone. Very enjoyable listening!

Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 31 2010, 04:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Daniel! But you mixed it wrong on mine. If you listen to my video take the audio starts a little earlier than it did in what you mixed. Sorry. I kept the original audio in the same location. I recorded over the backing track...submitted that....then deleted the bt and kept the guitar audio where it was...didn't move it. Aw well, we have the video take. biggrin.gif

I'm using my Wah on my Boss Me 20. You know another guy on youtube said my wah reminded him of Kirk Hammet as well. biggrin.gif And what's funny is that I don't even listen to Metallica! laugh.gif I just let my wah loose!

Anyway - great job on the mix!

Thanks for the feeback as well!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 31 2010, 06:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 31 2010, 02:25 AM) *
Great job everyone! I love the Tears of Sahara tribute feeling as well smile.gif Tony is such a KILLER player/writer, great all around guy. Keep em coming!
Todd

thank you Todd!

QUOTE (maharzan @ Jul 31 2010, 03:35 AM) *
Good work everyone... Thanks Daniel for the feedback. Its always wonderful to be part of a collaboration as it helps explore more dimensions. smile.gif

Thanks for taking part Maharzan!

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 31 2010, 04:22 AM) *
Daniel, that was an excellent mix. I had my sennheiser's on, and all the guitars were mixed into the backing track just right.

This collab was excellent! I was hearing some really innovative and powerful playing - I was feeling the shift in moods all throughout- Excellent job everyone. Very enjoyable listening!

Christian A.

Thank you SirJ. I tried to not turn the guitars up too much so that they would blend with the backing good,!

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jul 31 2010, 04:04 PM) *
Thanks Daniel! But you mixed it wrong on mine. If you listen to my video take the audio starts a little earlier than it did in what you mixed. Sorry. I kept the original audio in the same location. I recorded over the backing track...submitted that....then deleted the bt and kept the guitar audio where it was...didn't move it. Aw well, we have the video take. biggrin.gif

I'm using my Wah on my Boss Me 20. You know another guy on youtube said my wah reminded him of Kirk Hammet as well. biggrin.gif And what's funny is that I don't even listen to Metallica! laugh.gif I just let my wah loose!

Anyway - great job on the mix!

Thanks for the feeback as well!
WHat happened was that when I placed your take's beginning with the beginning of the backing, it didn't match because it didn't have the 4 fourths entrance bar, so I kind of did it by ear, sorry about that, but yes, we have the video one to corroborate it smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Jul 31 2010, 10:31 PM
As always your feedback is very highly appreciated - will try to consider your feedback in your next collab! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 31 2010, 10:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Berglmir @ Jul 31 2010, 10:31 PM) *
As always your feedback is very highly appreciated - will try to consider your feedback in your next collab! wink.gif

I'm glad you found it useful...

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Animal
Aug 1 2010, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the collab. My improvised solos are generally more ballsy, but tend to be a little sloppy and sometimes they have the feel of going nowhere. I do need to add a little more spice to my composed solos, though.

Thanks for the advice.

--------------------

Guitars : Fender Strat, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez RG
Amp : Line 6 Pod X3
Influences : Pink Floyd, Santana, Metallica, Megadeth, Nightwish, Satch, Vai
Level : Early Intermediater (just over 3 years)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 1 2010, 02:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Animal @ Aug 1 2010, 02:28 AM) *
Thanks for the collab. My improvised solos are generally more ballsy, but tend to be a little sloppy and sometimes they have the feel of going nowhere. I do need to add a little more spice to my composed solos, though.

Thanks for the advice.

That's all right,

What I do sometimes is, at the actual time of recording, have the button ready and just throw in what comes out, as soon as I get something good, I leave it, and continue

sometimes I get good stuff out of this process....by parts,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 1 2010, 04:10 AM
Learning Roadie
Haha - that's okay Daniel. biggrin.gif Sorry if I didn't make it as clear as the other guys. happy.gif Was just trying out what you said - not coming in right away. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JkB
Aug 1 2010, 02:43 PM
Huge thanks for the collab and the feedback ^^ Really nice takes from everyone
I'm waiting for more tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 1 2010, 03:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Aug 1 2010, 04:10 AM) *
Haha - that's okay Daniel. biggrin.gif Sorry if I didn't make it as clear as the other guys. happy.gif Was just trying out what you said - not coming in right away. biggrin.gif

hehehe, thanks dude,

I know those syncing issues can be a pain sometimes, just be aware of the Grid in your software, smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Aug 1 2010, 06:59 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Daniel!

One of the main reasons (besides the cool backings) why I try to take part in every collab you do is the feedback. It's always so constructive and I have learned a lot from your feedbacks in the past. So thank you for that and keep these collabs coming.
Great work everyone!

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Aug 1 2010, 07:00 PM

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 1 2010, 09:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Aug 1 2010, 06:59 PM) *
Hi Daniel!

One of the main reasons (besides the cool backings) why I try to take part in every collab you do is the feedback. It's always so constructive and I have learned a lot from your feedbacks in the past. So thank you for that and keep these collabs coming.
Great work everyone!

thanks man, I apreciate it! I'll try to get even more specific in future collabs

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:11 AM