A Little Advice I Suppose
The Uncreator
Jul 14 2007, 06:34 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Hey Hey GMC! I was reading through some old guitar world magazines reading Jeff Loomis' Merchant Of Menace, and i read teh article where he is describing some of the riffs of "This Godless Endeavour", and he made the suggestion that if you practice with an acoustic guitar for like 45 minutes to an hour, when you pick up your electric youll feel liek your 10x better.

So...

I tried this out and did all the normal exercises i would do on my Ibanez, except on an acoustic, and i did them for 1 hour, then i picked up my Ibanez, and played Pavels Sweeping etude, and Luca Turilli lesson, and Gabriels Neoclassical Sweeping, and i got them almost perfect ( i say almost cause i still practice them! ) i felt like i was 20x faster in all aspects, its makes playing feel alot easier going from 1 hour of acoustic to this, and i just play better, faster, and smoother, so id thought id share this bit of advice with you, hopefully youll find it useful as i did smile.gif

And dont forget to thank Jeff Loomis!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jul 14 2007, 06:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 14 2007, 07:40 PM
GMC:er
Keeeeeewl.

Got to try that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Slammer
Jul 14 2007, 08:11 PM
lol

I have had my Electric guitar in the shop since July 5th.

I'm gonna go pick it up today.

but for the last 9 days I have only played Acoustic. laugh.gif

Man I can't wait. It will be polished, new strings, Adjusted Action.
All done by a Pro.

and since I payed in Advance a long time ago when I bought the Guitar from Sam Ash.

they do it for free. which would normally cost $50 each time.

I only have to pay $4 for the new strings cool.gif

In fact I think I will go get it Right Now.

I'll post in a few hours after I go get it.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 14 2007, 08:54 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 14 2007, 11:34 AM) *
Hey Hey GMC! I was reading through some old guitar world magazines reading Jeff Loomis' Merchant Of Menace, and i read teh article where he is describing some of the riffs of "This Godless Endeavour", and he made the suggestion that if you practice with an acoustic guitar for like 45 minutes to an hour, when you pick up your electric youll feel liek your 10x better.

So...

I tried this out and did all the normal exercises i would do on my Ibanez, except on an acoustic, and i did them for 1 hour, then i picked up my Ibanez, and played Pavels Sweeping etude, and Luca Turilli lesson, and Gabriels Neoclassical Sweeping, and i got them almost perfect ( i say almost cause i still practice them! ) i felt like i was 20x faster in all aspects, its makes playing feel alot easier going from 1 hour of acoustic to this, and i just play better, faster, and smoother, so id thought id share this bit of advice with you, hopefully youll find it useful as i did smile.gif

And dont forget to thank Jeff Loomis!

ill try that man. Thanks for sharing with us.

EDIT: What are we supposed to practice in the acoustic guitar? sweeps? can you please tell me, thanks.

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jul 14 2007, 09:01 PM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 14 2007, 09:50 PM
this is a good idea. i just tried it, i can see immediately this is very beneficial, i can feel the muscles being used more. i think i am going to do this. also i have some 11-48 strings, will put those on one of my guitars to practice (normally use 10-46). this is something that i think most of us have thought about before. good idea to bring this forward.

megadeath....practice anything. myself i think it will be stuff where i don't bend strings. scales, sweeps, trills, hammers, pulls, stuff like that. i need to put the 11-48 on an electric to practice bending and vibrato under heavier than normal load.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 14 2007, 09:53 PM

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 14 2007, 09:53 PM
I learnt on a steel string for a year, it helped my initial electric playing no end as it was such a hard guitar to play, to begin with it hurt my fingers like hell, but looking back I'd recommend everyone did exactly the same as it makes playing an electric so much easier.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 15 2007, 01:27 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 14 2007, 03:54 PM) *
EDIT: What are we supposed to practice in the acoustic guitar? sweeps? can you please tell me, thanks.

I practiced Sweeps, legato, tapping altenate picking everything i would normally do on guitar, its works your muscles more, and once you adjust to that, usually by the end of an hour, when you pick up an electric, your muscles nee alot less work, so you can relax more, putting less strain on your muscles.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jul 15 2007, 01:37 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 15 2007, 01:34 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 15 2007, 12:27 PM) *
I practiced Sweeps, legato, tapping altenate picking everything i would normally do on guitar, its works your muscles more, and once you adjust to that, usually by the end of an hour, when you pick up an electric, your muscles nee alot less work, so you can relax more, putting less strain on your muscles.

Fixed tongue.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 15 2007, 01:37 PM
Fixed what?

I dont see anything wrong rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 15 2007, 01:44 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 15 2007, 12:37 PM) *
Fixed what?

I dont see anything wrong rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Today, 12:37 PM

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ! Cheeat

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 15 2007, 02:28 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 15 2007, 08:44 PM) *
This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Today, 12:37 PM

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ! Cheeat

He is a sneaky one!

And yes I too have noticed, when I make up a riff one steel string acoustic, its so much easier on electric. I then put down the acoustic for a while and just play electric cos I love it so much! tongue.gif

- Hemlok

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 15 2007, 09:00 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 15 2007, 06:27 AM) *

i see, but it seems that sweeping in acoustic is harder, specially with nylon string. Also my acoustic guitar is like a 2nd hand (i think thats the word for "not a brand guitar"), and its not electro-acoustic, so that makes tapping alot harder.

But i gave it a try yesterday and works a little, i didnt played much electric yeterday because i was writing some new songs for my band. But ill keep trying in all my practice routines. Thanks alot Uncreator.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 16 2007, 02:39 AM
Yes, it is very much harder, and if you can get it going smoothly at a slow tempo on acoustic, or even faster, imagine how eay it will be on electric.

By the way, my acoustic isnt great as well, some old guy built it and sold it to me for $50, sounds pretty mellow though.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 16 2007, 02:46 AM
Yes it's definatly true.I really never play acoustic but when you do for awhile and go back to the electric its awesome

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:19 AM