Learning Intervals
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 5 2011, 09:55 AM
Instructor
Since I was a kid, I associated intervals with different sounds surrounding me (unconsciously of course, because I had no idea on what an interval was, back when I was 10 years old, for instance). Later when I grew up and studied intervals, I realized that some of them sounded very familiar to me and others didn't.

The most familiar was the perfect fifth, which I instantaneously associated with the sound of a medieval trumpet announcing something like the arrival of guests at a castle. tongue.gif Another one was the minor third which always reminded me of a sad Russian singer biggrin.gif

So the question is:

Have you guys ever thought about intervals in this way and how did you manage to memorize their sound?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 5 2011, 01:28 PM
Instructor
I think the major third was the one that I recognized the most.. probably from the typical 'barber shop quartet' sound, where 4 guys do harmonies together, starting from the root, 3rd, 5th then 7th (I think) all going 'Ahhhh.'

That's a very good observation about the medieval trumpet thing.. I can hear it in my head now ! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 5 2011, 02:30 PM
Instructor
That's an interesting topic smile.gif When I was a kid, I had a habit of counting my steps, and singing some simple phrases in my head. After years later I found that those were actually intervals within the pentatonic scale. Not sure how I started to do this, I still do this, but more complicated, but still short phrases, with various combinations of rhythm, matching the rhythm with environment sounds, breaking it down, it sounds a bit crazy, but I can't help it biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 5 2011, 10:45 PM
Instructor
of course I use interval association to help me recognise them:

for minor 7th I use the first two notes of this:

It's actually a major second but if hear the last low note of the phrase you see the context

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 6 2011, 12:27 AM
GMC:er
I used a combination of Earmaster, a program that Daniel mentioned (I think?), and the same technique you guys are talking about. Going back to more intense ear training in the next few days, cheers for the reminder!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jun 6 2011, 04:37 AM
Instructor
I usually asociate the interval with some known tune. The drawback is that you memorize that interval with the harmony of that tune and may fail to recognize it later in other context.
The perfect fifth sounds medieval cause ones of the earlies form of polyphony was playijng gregorian chants in parallels fifths.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 6 2011, 07:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gerardo Siere @ Jun 6 2011, 03:37 AM) *
I usually asociate the interval with some known tune. The drawback is that you memorize that interval with the harmony of that tune and may fail to recognize it later in other context.
The perfect fifth sounds medieval cause ones of the earlies form of polyphony was playijng gregorian chants in parallels fifths.

Yes. yes! Indeed biggrin.gif now that i think of it - I can hear the chant sounds in my mind biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jun 6 2011, 11:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark dude @ Jun 6 2011, 12:27 AM) *
I used a combination of Earmaster, a program that Daniel mentioned (I think?), and the same technique you guys are talking about. Going back to more intense ear training in the next few days, cheers for the reminder!

yeah, me too. Earmaster was of great help for me!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:28 PM