Midi With Audio Interface, from guitar pro and drum machines
erik
Aug 27 2007, 11:30 PM
GMC:er
I'm afraid I have to bother you again with another problem with my new audio interface mellow.gif

I can't figure out how to get a real midi sound from programs such as guitar pro and the drum machine in cubase. There are several midi options that I have tried to edit in the followning programs: Cubase, Guitar Pro, and the windows audio settings. There are two settings that I probably should use:
- Audio Kontrol 1 Out
- Audio Kontrol 1 VirtualOut

But none of them work!

The only settings that works is the "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth". But it sounds horrible..

My PCI sound board sounded much better, shouldn't the audio kontrol be able to sound good too?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 12:01 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (erik @ Aug 27 2007, 06:30 PM) *
I'm afraid I have to bother you again with another problem with my new audio interface mellow.gif

I can't figure out how to get a real midi sound from programs such as guitar pro and the drum machine in cubase. There are several midi options that I have tried to edit in the followning programs: Cubase, Guitar Pro, and the windows audio settings. There are two settings that I probably should use:
- Audio Kontrol 1 Out
- Audio Kontrol 1 VirtualOut

But none of them work!

The only settings that works is the "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth". But it sounds horrible..

My PCI sound board sounded much better, shouldn't the audio kontrol be able to sound good too?

Ok, lets be a little careful here ... Guitar Pro and the drum machine are VSTis, meaning they are virtual instruments. Yes, you feed midi in, but you get audio out. So, step one is to make sure you are sending correct midi into them. If you get a sound useing the Microsoft Synth, your midi data is ok. Next step is to send the midi data to the right instrument. There is a drop down on the track with the midi to do that - you should set it to point to Guitar Pro or the drummer, instead of the microsoft mapper.

Next problem is to route the Audio from your VSTi to the output of your interface. You do this in cubase as I recall by simply setting the correct ASIO output.

Finally, be aware that the sound will come out of your Audio Kontrol not your computer speakers, so make sure it is hooked up to an ampo or headphones of some sort. (Apologies if that was patronizing, but I have seen this as a problem before).

If the problem is that you are sending the midi to the wrong place, its not even the Audio Kontrols fault, it isn;t in any way involved in the process, the midi is going straight to your soundcard smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 28 2007, 12:02 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
erik
Aug 28 2007, 04:00 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 28 2007, 01:01 AM) *
Next step is to send the midi data to the right instrument. There is a drop down on the track with the midi to do that - you should set it to point to Guitar Pro or the drummer, instead of the microsoft mapper.

How do I set it to point to guitar pro or drummer? This is all the options I got. (picture underneath) The same options where in guitar pro

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 28 2007, 01:01 AM) *
Next problem is to route the Audio from your VSTi to the output of your interface. You do this in cubase as I recall by simply setting the correct ASIO output.

It doesnt allow me to switch them on to "yes" (bottom picture)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 04:11 AM
QUOTE (erik @ Aug 27 2007, 11:00 PM) *
How do I set it to point to guitar pro or drummer? This is all the options I got. (picture underneath) The same options where in guitar pro
It doesnt allow me to switch them on to "yes" (bottom picture)

Attached Image

Ok, forget about Guitar Pro - its not a midi instrument. You need to do the following:

1. Pick a virtual instrument (either one that comes with Cubase, or an addon such as EZDrummer)
2. Add it to the Cubase instrument rack - I think LE should have the LM-7 drum machine as an option for example
3. When you have done that, on the midi track, you should be able to select that instrument to send the midi to

Then you should get some sound assuming you have added some midi notes ot the track - looks like you have from your screen shot.

Looks like what you are trying to do below is send midi to the midi interface on your Audio Kontrol. What should happen is that the audio comes out of the instrument in the instrument rack (and has its own output track that is created when you add it to the rack- that you don't have to worry about in routing terms).

If you want to use a real extrenal drum machine, that is a completely different kettle of fish - try it this way first and let us know how it goes

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 28 2007, 04:14 AM

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
erik
Aug 29 2007, 05:41 AM
Thanks, that worked biggrin.gif but how do I do that with guitar pro?
I get theese options in the MIDI Setup on Guitar Pro, and again the microsoft synth thing is the only option that works..
None of the "instrument patches" works on any of the other options btw
Attached Image

again, thanks for helping me out

edit: oh by the way! I don't use the "realistic sound"-thing on guitarpro

This post has been edited by erik: Aug 29 2007, 05:54 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 29 2007, 06:11 AM
QUOTE (erik @ Aug 29 2007, 12:41 AM) *
Thanks, that worked biggrin.gif but how do I do that with guitar pro?
I get theese options in the MIDI Setup on Guitar Pro, and again the microsoft synth thing is the only option that works..
None of the "instrument patches" works on any of the other options btw
Attached Image

again, thanks for helping me out
edit: oh by the way! I don't use the "realistic sound"-thing on guitarpro

What are you trying to do exatly? Use the Audio Kontrol to output from GUitar Pro? The Kontrol is just an audio out put and doesn;t have a built in midi synth like your soundcard so you cant do this directly.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
erik
Aug 29 2007, 07:06 AM
well yeah tongue.gif I guess I should use the old soundcard then.
Thanks for clearning this up for me though!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 29 2007, 07:12 AM
QUOTE (erik @ Aug 29 2007, 02:06 AM) *
well yeah tongue.gif I guess I should use the old soundcard then.
Thanks for clearning this up for me though!

You are very welcome - what you can do with Guitar Pro once you have a tab you like is export bits of it to MIDI, read it into Reaper, hook it up to an appropriate set of instruments and you have your backing track ready to record over.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:52 AM