Can't Get This Sound Right On My Guitar, Jimi Hendrix Style
Sinister
Sep 28 2014, 10:23 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys! So i'm currently practicing some Jimi Hendrix style playing, and i'm having a little trouble. I'm using this video lesson below by Ivan Milenkovic
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...ix-style-licks/

-----------------------------------|------------------------------------|
---------0---------------7-7-7-----|-------3-3------------7-7-7-7-------|
---------1h-2-1-----7----7-9-7-----|-----2g4-2------------7-7-7-7-------|
-------2----------2-7h-9--------9--|-----------5-2--------7-7-7-7-------|
-----2----------2------------------|---------------3-4-5----------5-6-7-|
--0--------------------------------|--3---------------------------------|

And basically I'm having difficulty with the sound of these intervals

-----------------------------------|
---------0---------------7-7-7-----|
---------1h-2-1-----7----7-9-7-----|
-------2----------2-7h-9--------9--|
-----2----------2------------------|
--0--------------------------------|

I can play the notes easily, but when I do the interval on the 7th fret (with the hammer on to the 9th fret), it sounds... off. And so do the other intervals on the strings above it that are on the 7th fret. In the lesson Ivan said he was using a marshall plexi as a crunch and and some reverb. I put a little distortion on and turned up the reverb and that helped a bit. But the problem is it doesn't sound like Jimi, there's something off to it. I think it's the gear I am using. I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard with a Fender Deluxe amp. I know using a Les Paul isn't the best if i'm trying to sound like Jimi tongue.gif but I do have a strat but it's old and needs to be set up. So do you think it's my set up and gear or am I just playing it wrong? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 28 2014, 12:39 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I think that a recording would help TONS smile.gif It could be both - either the playing either the gear, but a recording would surely shed some light on the matter. We'll be able to help as soon as you post a video/audio recording here - what say you?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sinister
Sep 28 2014, 02:25 PM
I'm gonna have to get all my recording equipment together, it's all scattered at different friend's houses, but I was actually planning on getting it all in the next few days. I'll get a recording as soon as I can! tongue.gif Thanks for the reply!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 28 2014, 03:29 PM
Which JH song is that rhythm lick from?
Jimi did bits like that constantly in his tunes.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 28 2014, 03:29 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2014, 10:52 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! As Cosmin said, a recording would really help us to guide your with the settings that need some adjustment to help you to sound closer to Jimi's sound. I think that you could get a very close sound with that equipment, and maybe the only addition that could help is an overdrive like a tube screamer in front of the amp to add more drive and gain.

I'll be waiting for your audio sample to give you more detailed info. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 29 2014, 04:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinister @ Sep 28 2014, 01:25 PM) *
I'm gonna have to get all my recording equipment together, it's all scattered at different friend's houses, but I was actually planning on getting it all in the next few days. I'll get a recording as soon as I can! tongue.gif Thanks for the reply!

That sounds perfect, mate wink.gif Looking forward to hear your recording!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:14 PM