4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Jobs. No?. Anybody?
mjsteps
Jan 21 2009, 09:14 AM
GMC:er

I am still doing my pilot training work annoyingly. I am looking for a new job in Stamford, Connecticut as we speak so hopefully by January 2010 I will be able to say I live in USA. smile.gif

I am college educated, B.A but working for a trade union in the states.

Stamford CT is in the process of completing the new royal bank of scotland(huge) with more buildings to follow.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2009, 09:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 21 2009, 09:06 AM) *
Well the questions I would first have is who is your line manager (her or somebody else?), and secondly (more importantly) why is it exactly that you can't work as motivated when she is in the same room (do you feel that she is judging you all the time, is she an annoying person?)?

I don't even know what a line manager is tongue.gif

But she is basically the one telling me what to do besides my regular tasks, then the lawyers can give me tasks to do as well, but she is the one I have to go to, if I have any question about how to do certain things. And of course I have questions (I had 1 weeks (in a quite December) of "training" with the former receptionist.), but I can slowly feel the tension rise the more I ask. That I can handle, I geuss though.

I do feel that she is judging me all the time, and besides that she is pretty annoying - the latter probably due to the fact that she is a bit stressed and works waaaay too much. At times she can be very friendly though.

That may not be very good or enough information, but I can't seem to come up with any more.

Today she is working at home, so it's a good day today I geuss. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 21 2009, 10:36 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 21 2009, 09:48 AM) *
I don't even know what a line manager is tongue.gif

But she is basically the one telling me what to do besides my regular tasks, then the lawyers can give me tasks to do as well, but she is the one I have to go to, if I have any question about how to do certain things. And of course I have questions (I had 1 weeks (in a quite December) of "training" with the former receptionist.), but I can slowly feel the tension rise the more I ask. That I can handle, I geuss though.

I do feel that she is judging me all the time, and besides that she is pretty annoying - the latter probably due to the fact that she is a bit stressed and works waaaay too much. At times she can be very friendly though.

That may not be very good or enough information, but I can't seem to come up with any more.

Today she is working at home, so it's a good day today I geuss. smile.gif

Well a line manager is basically your superior who is going to evaluate your work, and by your description it seems that she is your line manager smile.gif. That fact makes your situation a bit more tricky, as it is quite difficult to ask your boss to move offices again tongue.gif. What I would suggest is that you carefully think of well-thought arguments about the current situation, which she can't ignore as they are best for the company and carefully discuss these items with her (don't make your arguments too personal, but keep it business, as that has more chances of winning it tongue.gif).

Anyways, it won't be easy to solve this easily. Hopefully it helps!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 21 2009, 10:37 AM
Move into her old office biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2009, 10:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 21 2009, 10:36 AM) *
Well a line manager is basically your superior who is going to evaluate your work, and by your description it seems that she is your line manager smile.gif . That fact makes your situation a bit more tricky, as it is quite difficult to ask your boss to move offices again tongue.gif . What I would suggest is that you carefully think of well-thought arguments about the current situation, which she can't ignore as they are best for the company and carefully discuss these items with her (don't make your arguments too personal, but keep it business, as that has more chances of winning it tongue.gif ).

Anyways, it won't be easy to solve this easily. Hopefully it helps!

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm always trying to keep my arguments well-thought, I think.

She does seem to think that I know everything the former receptionist knew about everything, as I had 1 week of training with her, but 1 week really isn't enough for this kinda thing, as there tends to come new things up occasionally which I don't know or which the former receptionist forgot to tell me about. Whenever I ask her she just replies: "Didn't Rebecca tell you that?" and it sounds as a bad excuse for having forgot it when I answer: "No, she didn't."

Just the other day she asked me to find a calendar Rebecca used to keep track of something with the mail/post. I searched for a calendar, and didn't find anything which Rebecca had wrote anything on. A day later my line manager ( cool.gif ) came with a calendar and said: "it's this one! I think you should look a bit more the next time", and not in a joking way. When I looked at the calendar it was all empty... how the heck was I supposed to know it was that one, when it was just a plain regular calendar...Hahaha. And it's such things all the time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 21 2009, 11:26 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
It's your first office job if i remember correct, right? I guess it's something you need to get used to, to have always people around you. Not easy to deal with loud phone calls, discussion, meetings around the table next to you, etc, .. and still be able to concentrate on your work.

As your job is to be a receptionist or assistant for everybody, you should see the advantages of this that your manager is in the same room with you. You can capture a lot of details of the daily workflow, little comments between other employees and stuff like this. I guess you are often in the situation that people expect from you to know things you can not know. Like this you are much more involved as if you are alone in your room. Of course it's more stressful by now, but work is getting more interesting as more you are involved.

Little comments like the "calendar story" you should not take so serious. Those are hierarchy games, especially as a trainee. There are certain limits of course, but i'm quite sure the tone will change, once you now your tasks and do well your job and like this their life easier .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 21 2009, 11:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 21 2009, 11:26 AM) *
It's your first office job if i remember correct, right? I guess it's something you need to get used to, to have always people around you. Not easy to deal with loud phone calls, discussion, meetings around the table next to you, etc, .. and still be able to concentrate on your work.

As your job is to be a receptionist or assistant for everybody, you should see the advantages of this that your manager is in the same room with you. You can capture a lot of details of the daily workflow, little comments between other employees and stuff like this. I guess you are often in the situation that people expect from you to know things you can not know. Like this you are much more involved as if you are alone in your room. Of course it's more stressful by now, but work is getting more interesting as more you are involved.

Little comments like the "calendar story" you should not take so serious. Those are hierarchy games, especially as a trainee. There are certain limits of course, but i'm quite sure the tone will change, once you now your tasks and do well your job and like this their life easier .. smile.gif

I could't agree more to this, and it's something quite normal indeed smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 21 2009, 11:29 AM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2009, 11:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, I agree it's normal. I would just like it to be a little less like it is! tongue.gif

But thanks, guys! Quite some good advice there. Unfortunately I don't get to catch much between other employees, as they are mostly behind closed doors.

It's actually not really my first job. I used to work in a mall while studying, and have been a post man untill December, and now this job here. tongue.gif Didn't get fired from any of them, mind you. Decided to quit myself.

Oh and with the manager being in the same room... let's just say she's buried deep in her own work and not really present.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 21 2009, 11:35 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 21 2009, 11:54 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
1. Computer Technician at Oceaneering.
2. A little freelancing as a Graphic Designer, when I got the time.
3. Work with young local bands and other youths at a local community house two times a week.
4. Posting at GMC.

I'm busy sad.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jan 21 2009, 08:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Police officer (New York State Trooper)

We work 12 hour shifts, so I get a lot of days off in return!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jan 21 2009, 09:32 PM
I was a Programmer/Analyst and DP manager from 1984-1990, then I did a 180 and went to truck driving school. Been running the roads now almost 19 years. I stay gone from home for 3-4 weeks straight, and I'm online with a Verizon Aircard. I think the trucks I drive are called lorries in Europe.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jan 21 2009, 09:50 PM
I'm an engineering student / wireline operator.

So when the riggs have to redrill, I wait (for about 12 hours on end). Pretty boring to sit in the sleep of the semi or hotel room.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Dreamcatcher
Jan 22 2009, 02:40 PM
Well I work but generally only when work presents itself being a self employed photographer I can't complain though women pay me $125/hr to take pictures of them in their lingerie hahaha. Work generally picks up when we have a Cover to get done or weddings the rest is just easy and gives me alot of time off.

This post has been edited by Dreamcatcher: Jan 22 2009, 02:45 PM

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 22 2009, 02:54 PM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Jan 21 2009, 12:57 AM) *
What's an IRC? tongue.gif
Internet Relay Chat - aa chat protocol.

- Jonas

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 22 2009, 03:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jdriver @ Jan 21 2009, 09:32 PM) *
I was a Programmer/Analyst and DP manager from 1984-1990, then I did a 180 and went to truck driving school. Been running the roads now almost 19 years. I stay gone from home for 3-4 weeks straight, and I'm online with a Verizon Aircard. I think the trucks I drive are called lorries in Europe.

That is pretty cool, man! You bring your guitar when driving? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Jan 22 2009, 05:04 PM
Self employed so I can be on at work and home. wink.gif

However, if I am on it may mean I am not working. Even the self employed can get fired this way. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Although this place gets very quite late night US time 11PM. I guess most are from countries where is 3 am then

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Jan 22 2009, 05:10 PM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jan 22 2009, 05:49 PM
I'm just a slacker...

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 22 2009, 08:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Software Architect at Siemens

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jan 22 2009, 08:35 PM
Im an Internet Consultant and a student on the side. Online 24/7 biatch.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Jan 22 2009, 08:50 PM
I'm a visual effects producer for my own company, Brainstorm Digital. www.brainstorm-digital.com

I have a history in movie editing, and currently just finished editing a Neil Young concert movie for director Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs). When the movie is released, I'll let you all know about it, and post a clip. Hard-rockin' Neil on electric, unlike his usual acoustic sets. Very cool.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:42 AM