2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Pick Use
Timmez
Aug 22 2013, 09:58 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello anyone,

Which pick can is use the best for quicker solo's.

Do i need a heavy pick or do i have to use a soft pick?

thanks already.

grtz tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Aug 22 2013, 10:13 AM
GMC:er
Personally I've always thought that stiffer/thicker picks are better for speed - it doesn't flex as much so you always "know" where the tip of your pick is going to be, which helps build precision.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 22 2013, 11:18 AM
Instructor
Thicker picks allow for greater accuracy but there are some people who manage to pick very well with floppy picks.

Personally, I'd go for anything over 1.14mm smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 22 2013, 03:03 PM

Some great responses and spot on!! I agree with BEN and SIX on this especially when LEARNING TO ALTERNATE PICK. Once you get it down you can switch to using a playing card or your fingers and be fine.

But for starters IMHO

*1.5 mm (give or take)

*Pointy Tip

*As little "flex" (bend) in the pick as possible.

This will help you at first especially when your hands are adapting.

You might try the VPICK SWITCHBLADE BUFFED which Vinnie built for me from a request I made for a pick I thought would be great for students working on picking. Also, the VONHOTCH (he is a member here, just shoot him a PM) custom picks (made of aluminum) are AMAZING and KILLER for fast picking. Here is a link to a thread about VONs picks.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=49133&st=0

For a more easy to grab at the store option
1.)Jazz III XL
2.)Jazz III Petrucci
3.)Dunlop Sharp 1.5
etc. smile.gif

Todd

Attached Image

QUOTE (tflava @ Aug 22 2013, 04:58 AM) *
Hello anyone,

Which pick can is use the best for quicker solo's.

Do i need a heavy pick or do i have to use a soft pick?

thanks already.

grtz tim

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 22 2013, 03:19 PM
Instructor
I was just going to write "most of the players..." but than I saw guys like Ben and Todd...they are....most of the guys who use thin picks smile.gif Now...I here to represent the "thin team" smile.gif I use max 1.14 very rarely - usually my picks are under 0:88. I like to get most of attack by pushing the picks hard towards the strings so it flips from one to another string. It also helps to get very sharp tone on the gear that sound muddy at start. So...There is no rule for the pick but You can try the thicker ones because the work for "the most" smile.gif))))

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 22 2013, 10:31 PM
The general rule of thumb is thinner for chords/rhythm and thicker for soloing/lead.

Notice that I used words "thinner" and "thicker" instead of "thin" or "thick"; these are relative, because pick thickness depends very much on player preference.

I use a Von Hotch custom Invader pick for lead guitar playing that Mr. Von Hotch made for me as I like, pointy, teardrop shaped and of course, non-flexible smile.gif Gives a subtle brightness to my tone as well because it's made from aluminium. As Todd said, these are great picks, I have one and another on the way smile.gif

Other than that, I have a Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III, which is a very thick but very small pick made of carbon fibre. It serves me well smile.gif

For rhythm playing I use a pick that is either 0.88mm or 1.14mm of thickness, and I have loads of 1.14 and 2mm picks smile.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 23 2013, 12:30 AM
As you can see, forums are a wonderful plays to get wildly conflicting answers to a single question smile.gif In short, as with nearly every aspect of guitar, it will come down to you the player. That said, try some thick pointy sharp picks and some thinner picks. See what works for you smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 23 2013, 04:37 AM
Instructor
I prefer thicker picks for playing fast because I can be more precise and the notes sound more defined. I extremely recommend the Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.5 mm. At first, it can seem more difficult to use thicker picks but, once you get used to them you discover that it's the best decision.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 24 2013, 06:22 AM
I agree smile.gif Seems like we at least have a general agreement which is great smile.gif But as I mentioned, it's important to try different thickness picks to see what your hand tells you. DARIUS for example likes THIN picks. Some players just prefer thin picks. Most players I've seen that play briskly seem to prefer thicker picks as this thread indicates but just because it works for us doesn't make it the final truth smile.gif

The thin picks tend to "flex" or bend which can create a small amount of lag and loss of control, but hey who knows, you may try a thin pick and love it smile.gif

GAB is spot on about the 1.5 dunlop sharp. A great place to start and quite common in guitar shops so easy to find smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 22 2013, 11:37 PM) *
I prefer thicker picks for playing fast because I can be more precise and the notes sound more defined. I extremely recommend the Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.5 mm. At first, it can seem more difficult to use thicker picks but, once you get used to them you discover that it's the best decision.

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 24 2013, 07:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 23 2013, 12:03 AM) *
Attached Image

Man, I really need to get one of those tongue.gif they look amazing...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 25 2013, 12:25 AM
Instructor
I always have some of thiker picks in my pocker too....like Dunlop Ultex 1.14 ...but my basic pick doesn't cross the border of 1 mm smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 25 2013, 07:12 PM
These picks don't just look amazing, THEY ARE AMAZING!!! smile.gif They actually improve ones techniques IMHO. They reinforce proper picking habbits due to the physics of their design/construction.

Fellow GMC member VONOTCH has been very cool about getting GMC in on the action of his new pick line which is very cool of him do. These are very helpful for students especially when working on Alternate Picking. I have not gone back to my old picks yet. I love these

You can PM VON here @ GMC and you can check out his web site for more info.

You gotta try these.

http://www.http://vonhotch.com/

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 24 2013, 02:02 AM) *
Man, I really need to get one of those tongue.gif they look amazing...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 25 2013, 07:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 25 2013, 03:12 PM) *
These picks don't just look amazing, THEY ARE AMAZING!!! smile.gif They actually improve ones techniques IMHO. They reinforce proper picking habbits due to the physics of their design/construction.

Fellow GMC member VONOTCH has been very cool about getting GMC in on the action of his new pick line which is very cool of him do. These are very helpful for students especially when working on Alternate Picking. I have not gone back to my old picks yet. I love these

You can PM VON here @ GMC and you can check out his web site for more info.

You gotta try these.

http://www.http://vonhotch.com/

I'll order one of these. Honestly I find them weird but I'm very curious to try them. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 26 2013, 03:21 AM
I LOVE em smile.gif
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 25 2013, 02:19 PM) *
I'll order one of these. Honestly I find them weird but I'm very curious to try them. smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 26 2013, 05:27 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 25 2013, 06:19 PM) *

Trust me, you'll love them and you'll want to have more once you try one cool.gif

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Aug 26 2013, 11:03 PM
Does Mr.VonHotch have a price list for those amazing space-age robotic android looking pics? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 26 2013, 11:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Aug 26 2013, 10:03 PM) *
Does Mr.VonHotch have a price list for those amazing space-age robotic android looking pics? laugh.gif

Couldn't find a better name for it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2013, 02:10 AM
Of course smile.gif Just go to his web site. www.vonhotch.com and bingo!! Or PM him right here on GMC smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Aug 26 2013, 06:03 PM) *

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 27 2013, 08:19 AM
Instructor
In order to continue the Von Hotch Picks shameless plug biggrin.gif I too enjoy playing with them very very much and I totally recommend you to try one at least smile.gif

I use 1.14 - 1.5 picks usually and I enjoy these picks that Von Hotch makes as well as the Dunlop JP picks - you might wanna read about them here: http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/john-petrucci-jazz-iii

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 27 2013, 12:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 22 2013, 03:03 PM) *
2.)Jazz III Petrucci

I just ordered some of those to try, Im hoping they come with a few wild runs included wink.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:39 AM