Final Product :), following up
enlo22
Aug 17 2013, 03:49 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
hey guys, so i've posted about this song i've been working on fora bit now, and with all of your comments and help i've came up with this as my final piece. I hope you guys enjoy it and give me advise/compliments haha thanks for all the help! it truly did help a lottt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBO7KDza9w

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 17 2013, 05:33 AM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome guitar work and mix mate, did not see those drums coming in at 0:45. I think the guitar work is great, but I feel the drums might sound a little 'raw', especially the kick drum. If you've got a compressor in the FX chain, you might wanna play around with it, especially reducing the attack to get a deeper sound smile.gif Great video work as well man

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Aug 17 2013, 05:45 AM
GMC:er
Hey enlo, I was just sitting in the backyard having a cold beer and saw this, I've only heard it on my phone speaker but I will listen on the computer monitors later when I'm no longer really comfy. I your video sounds great so far and I'll get back to you later. Great video too by the way.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
enlo22
Aug 17 2013, 07:35 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 17 2013, 04:33 AM) *
Awesome guitar work and mix mate, did not see those drums coming in at 0:45. I think the guitar work is great, but I feel the drums might sound a little 'raw', especially the kick drum. If you've got a compressor in the FX chain, you might wanna play around with it, especially reducing the attack to get a deeper sound smile.gif Great video work as well man

thanks man! yeah drums are my weakest point! as for the compressor what do you suggest increasing or decreasing which parts?
i'd really appreciate it!

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Aug 17 2013, 04:45 AM) *
Hey enlo, I was just sitting in the backyard having a cold beer and saw this, I've only heard it on my phone speaker but I will listen on the computer monitors later when I'm no longer really comfy. I your video sounds great so far and I'll get back to you later. Great video too by the way.

cool man! drink more it'll probably sound better. just kidding but i'm glad you checked it out!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 17 2013, 12:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (enlo22 @ Aug 17 2013, 04:35 PM) *
thanks man! yeah drums are my weakest point! as for the compressor what do you suggest increasing or decreasing which parts?
i'd really appreciate it!

No worries man smile.gif

The thing is, it's hard for someone to pinpoint what needs changing just by listening on YouTube. I'd play around with the compressor and maybe EQ. For compression, I'd have a look at the attack and release times, as those really determine the 'punchiness' of the drums.

Normally, the kick drum is a thumpy kind of sound, but if you're doing metal, it's not common to cut a bit of treble so when some insane 32nd note kick drum fill comes in the breakdown, it won't destroy the tonal balance of the mix. Depending on the DAW you're using, some of the presets might help you. That being said, it's always good to tweak the presets, because ultimately every mix is different.

So basically what I'd say is: use your ears, not your eyes, and don't worry about putting X after Y if it's not the norm, just do whatever sounds good to you smile.gif

Let me know if you got anymore questions, I'll see how I can help out biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 17 2013, 01:36 PM
Instructor
Hey Marco! I am glad that you managed to put things together and present the final version smile.gif I think it's a great step in your career as a songwriter, man! Take some time to rest and then head back to the drawing board to see what else you can come up with.

There are some parts that do not convince me in this song, at least not yet - I will listen to it more to see - for instance 00:40 - you should try to make each part stand out and become a part of the story - maybe you already had this in mind?

What is this song about?

+Quote Post
enlo22
Aug 17 2013, 03:55 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 17 2013, 12:36 PM) *
Hey Marco! I am glad that you managed to put things together and present the final version smile.gif I think it's a great step in your career as a songwriter, man! Take some time to rest and then head back to the drawing board to see what else you can come up with.

There are some parts that do not convince me in this song, at least not yet - I will listen to it more to see - for instance 00:40 - you should try to make each part stand out and become a part of the story - maybe you already had this in mind?

What is this song about?

hey cosmin! yes I sort of wanted that part to be like a sudden boom. As for resting yeah i'm tired and need a break from working on that smile.gif. I guess what this song is about.. well to be honest it's not about anything in perticular. as for what i was feeling at the time it was a whole lot of differnt moods from happy to angry, a lot of girlfriend problems so i guess it came out through the song? haha

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 17 2013, 11:18 AM) *
No worries man smile.gif

The thing is, it's hard for someone to pinpoint what needs changing just by listening on YouTube. I'd play around with the compressor and maybe EQ. For compression, I'd have a look at the attack and release times, as those really determine the 'punchiness' of the drums.

Normally, the kick drum is a thumpy kind of sound, but if you're doing metal, it's not common to cut a bit of treble so when some insane 32nd note kick drum fill comes in the breakdown, it won't destroy the tonal balance of the mix. Depending on the DAW you're using, some of the presets might help you. That being said, it's always good to tweak the presets, because ultimately every mix is different.

So basically what I'd say is: use your ears, not your eyes, and don't worry about putting X after Y if it's not the norm, just do whatever sounds good to you smile.gif

Let me know if you got anymore questions, I'll see how I can help out biggrin.gif
thanks again man, i'm going to take a look at that. I'm using Reaper !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 17 2013, 06:12 PM
Instructor
Cool!!! Congrats mate! This is getting very good. There are still some sections that need more work to sound more interesting. Let me mark the things that I would review to make this song a constant "goal". I remember my guitar guru saying me that every part of a song must be a "goal", and he was so right.

1- 00:46: the last notes of this lick, that bend.
2- at 1:00 I become a bit tired of the drum loop. I would try any change... at least going from the closed hh to a crash, or open hh.
3- 1:25: add an harmonized guitar or a synth to make it grow a bit.
4- 2:03: again add a variation or add something to make the texture grow.
5- from 2:36: the same than point 2.
6- 2:57: This part is the more glorious section. It must open even more... backing guitars must be bigger here. Add any string synth or something that makes this section EPIC. (maybe some harmonized guitars?)
7- Work on the drums sound. It's too weak, experiment with compression, eq or maybe using any other sample.
8- Record double panned rhythm guitars.
9- Review bass. I can't really hear it, it must be more defined and make the mix fatter.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
enlo22
Aug 18 2013, 03:37 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 17 2013, 05:12 PM) *
Cool!!! Congrats mate! This is getting very good. There are still some sections that need more work to sound more interesting. Let me mark the things that I would review to make this song a constant "goal". I remember my guitar guru saying me that every part of a song must be a "goal", and he was so right.

1- 00:46: the last notes of this lick, that bend.
2- at 1:00 I become a bit tired of the drum loop. I would try any change... at least going from the closed hh to a crash, or open hh.
3- 1:25: add an harmonized guitar or a synth to make it grow a bit.
4- 2:03: again add a variation or add something to make the texture grow.
5- from 2:36: the same than point 2.
6- 2:57: This part is the more glorious section. It must open even more... backing guitars must be bigger here. Add any string synth or something that makes this section EPIC. (maybe some harmonized guitars?)
7- Work on the drums sound. It's too weak, experiment with compression, eq or maybe using any other sample.
8- Record double panned rhythm guitars.
9- Review bass. I can't really hear it, it must be more defined and make the mix fatter.

thanks for taking the time to review everything! the idea for 3 is funny cause i had a harmony and took it off, not i realized i shouldn't have!
i will deff work on the drum loop, thinking about it it doesn't get old!!
as for bass I don't ahve a bass at all here :/ i don't own a bass which suckssss
i recorded double panned guitars but i will try to make the rhythm guitars bigger, any tips on that? as for eq wise?
and i'm using ez drummer i dont know what do to the drums i'm so stuck on that aspect of my recording.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:46 PM