2 Pages V  < 1 2  
How Good Is Your Time Management?
klasaine
Apr 5 2013, 05:08 PM
GMC:er
If we're just talking about trying to find time for guitar then you first need to assess your musical priorities.

Are you in a band with upcoming shows?
Are there songs and/or solos that you need to work on because they are not performance ready?
Are you trying to get to a point where you're good enough to be in a band that performs?
Do you have an audition coming up?
Are you about to get kicked out of your current band because you're not cutting it anymore due to lack of practice time?

If any of these are yes, then one most definitely needs to adjust their time. And if music is that serious for you(?) then practicing - either solo and/or with the band - doesn't count as 'free' time.

I've mentioned this before in a thread but if I don't have something to practice for i.e., new tunes to learn, a new project or I'm just plain not inspired - I don't play for a few days. It doesn't hurt anything. I take two to three solid weeks off every year from guitar. It takes me 'maybe' three days to get the rust off. *(Keep in mind I've been playing for YEARS and I definitely did the 3 to 6 hours a day almost every day for probably close to 6 years solid.)

*I know Gab's read it but I can't recommend enough Julia Cameron's book "The Artist's Way". Anyone who does any type of art seriously (not necessarily for a living - but at least takes it seriously) NEEDS to read this book. It will help you understand what it is you are trying to 'time manage' and why some of things that you think are a waste of time aren't. Along with all the cool and analogous Zen and Ninja volumes you WILL find this in the shelves of most professional artists.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 6 2013, 08:42 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 6 2013, 12:56 PM
Instructor
Thanks for the suggestion Ken, I'll check it out wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 6 2013, 06:29 PM
Here's a interesting site regarding practicing and time management ...
http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-man...d-you-practice/

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 7 2013, 12:13 PM
Instructor
Thanks for sharing this Ken - Great reminder on looking in our personal practice mirror!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 8 2013, 03:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 6 2013, 02:29 PM) *
Here's a interesting site regarding practicing and time management ...
http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-man...d-you-practice/

This is a very interesting article! I read some parts but I'll analyze it deeply later. Thanks for sharing!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 8 2013, 04:58 PM
It's Bad.!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2013, 08:05 AM
Instructor
It's not bad at all man smile.gif I read the article yesterday and it seems to me that we should all be much more mindful about how we practice.

Throughout time, I read about all sorts of practice routines, including ones which state that you can watch TV and practice in the same time, on autopilot. WRONG! When you do something, focus only on that thing in order to see the right results - there are simply too many details to be careful with when practicing something and I really don't think we should be doing anything else when practicing.

What would it be like if you were sewing something and watching tv? You have ALL the chances in the world to stick that needle in your fingers! You should just mind the action you are doing at that moment with all your senses smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 9 2013, 09:12 AM
I sort of switched my schedule up in order to get things done and not feel like I am taking time away from my wife. About 2 years ago I started waking up at 5:30 to work out, then joined a gym that opened at 5 a.m., so I started waking up at 4 to be there at five. I love getting out early in the morning! Then guitar came back into my life, and I was so mentally tired after work, that I decided to incorporate it into my mornings. Now I wake up at 3 a.m., do the coffee/internet headline thing, then practice guitar for 1 to 2 hours depending on what workout I have. On the mornings I stay home and just do the treadmill, I can get in 2 hours of guitar playing.

Personally, I really like this schedule, because my wife is asleep and I don't feel I am sacrificing our relationship. Then in the evenings after work, we both vedge out in front of the idiot box together, and I am in bed by 9, never having a problem falling to sleep.

I use to be pretty spontaneous, but at the ripe old age of 45, I feel that this schedule I have created for myself, gives me fulfillment, and by sticking to it, I feel I have accomplished things each day, and steadily progressing. On Saturdays, my wife works, and it is those days I try to write a new tune, or practice most of the days. Sundays, I may not even pick up a guitar.

Funny, when I stray from this schedule, even just to sleep in for another 30 minutes to an hour, I feel inside that something has not been accomplished and I was not as productive as I should have been.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 10 2013, 09:17 AM
Instructor
Hey man, whatever works for you and gets things done, is best! As long as you get plenty of rest and keep a healthy relationship with your Mrs., it's super!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 10 2013, 10:23 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This really depends on the mood. Sometimes I make a schedule for all the activities in the day just for fun and try to keep up with it. Usually I get everything I plan done in time.

But this is a very good thread and point Ken - for guitar practice and music stuff (Recording/Band etc), I would definitely recommend making a schedule and sticking to it. Its like when you schedule a band gig in advance, you know you are going to be there. Same should be done with recording sessions, composing and most important - practicing. If one doesn't schedule it in advance and relies on it to fall in the "free time", there is a big chance that it might not get its spot/priority in relation to other "free time stuff".

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 10 2013, 08:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 10 2013, 09:23 AM) *
This really depends on the mood. Sometimes I make a schedule for all the activities in the day just for fun and try to keep up with it. Usually I get everything I plan done in time.

But this is a very good thread and point Ken - for guitar practice and music stuff (Recording/Band etc), I would definitely recommend making a schedule and sticking to it. Its like when you schedule a band gig in advance, you know you are going to be there. Same should be done with recording sessions, composing and most important - practicing. If one doesn't schedule it in advance and relies on it to fall in the "free time", there is a big chance that it might not get its spot/priority in relation to other "free time stuff".

When it comes down to doing things, if I wouldn't have a schedule, I would be a dead man... So, Bogdan - great analogy with the gig scheduling wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:21 PM