2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Does Pick Thickness Have To Do With Anything?
Goliath
Dec 17 2007, 02:28 PM
GMC:er
Another Jazz III user. I've been using them for about 8 months now, but playing with any other pick is like playing in slow motion. The Jazz III is so small it makes you play with more accuracy and control. If I have to use something bigger I find myself "choking up" on it. And if it's thinner than 1.0 MM I wear them out pretty quick and they round off.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 17 2007, 05:02 PM
Does everyone use Nylon Jazz III or Ultex Jazz III?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 17 2007, 05:20 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Dec 17 2007, 04:02 PM) *
Does everyone use Nylon Jazz III or Ultex Jazz III?

Nylon ones here smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 17 2007, 06:55 PM
Is that the difference between red and black Jazz IIIs? I use black ones.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
chast
Dec 17 2007, 11:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Currently I am using 1mm picks, but the Jazz III picks arrive tomorrow smile.gif
1mm is too thin for me, so I hope Jazz III will work better.

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Dec 18 2007, 01:19 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Dec 17 2007, 05:55 PM) *

No these ones that are significantly different to the red and black ones. I use these picks.

Attached Image

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Dec 18 2007, 01:33 PM
I could have sworn it was EJ that originally said there was a difference between the red Jazz picks and the black ones. Does anyone know anything about that?

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 18 2007, 01:37 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Goliath @ Dec 17 2007, 05:55 PM) *

I believe the red and black ones are the same, just diferent colours, I use either, whatever I can buy lol!
I just find it an excellent all round pick, strange that we get so attached to these little chaps smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 18 2007, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
i use 2.0 mm pick and someties i use a 1.14mm pick

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
McGoo
Dec 19 2007, 10:09 AM
I use .46mm picks for my acoustics as they seem to work best for the kind of stuff I play. My acoustics do not have pickgaurds so the wood around the sound hole would become scratched if I used thicker types. For my elecrics I use thicker ones but I've never tried anything over 1.0mm - it must be like trying to play with a frisbee ohmy.gif

--------------------
My current gear;
Gibson Robot Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster '54 Re-issue
Fender Telecaster
Samick Greg Bennett Torino TR3
Takamine EG560C Electric/acoustic
Ovation CSE2258TY Celebrity Double Neck 12/6 String Electric/acoustic
Encore Bass and Kustom KBA10 amplifier
Pod XT Live
Zoom 504II Acoustic
BOSS BR-600 Digital Recorder
Behringer Ultra Tone K900FX 90w Keyboard Amp

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Dec 19 2007, 11:42 PM
Anyone using the MIO Speed Pick?
I am quite fond of those.
Might try the Jazz pick, but ...
MIO's have a twisted (literally) tip and are quite stiff, like a jazz pick (probably).. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Freebird
Dec 20 2007, 03:11 PM
Hey Jacmoe, are those picks made for speedpicking? They sort of have an already angled pick side as you describe them. That sounds interesting! smile.gif

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 20 2007, 07:23 PM
I use a 1.4 too.

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Dec 20 2007, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (Freebird @ Dec 20 2007, 03:11 PM) *
Hey Jacmoe, are those picks made for speedpicking? They sort of have an already angled pick side as you describe them. That sounds interesting! smile.gif

They are twisted at a 10% angle, and are made by Dunlop.
I think I am using this one:
Dunlop Speed Pick
And the Jazz version:
Dunlop Jazz Speed Pick
They are quite good IMO - I keep using them all the time, despite trying to pick up (no pun intended) regular picks.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by jacmoe: Dec 20 2007, 10:03 PM

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Freebird
Dec 20 2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks for explaining smile.gif I'll try them out if I get them at a guitar shop.

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 21 2007, 11:52 PM
Thin picks for strumming chords and thick picks for picking notes wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:26 PM